Unable to add additional guest in existing booking- Mariner of the Seas

We have two rooms booked for June 10, 2019 on the Mariner. We have connecting rooms and both rooms have pullman beds with occupancy of 4 in each room. When I booked rooms we have it 3 and 3 in each room for our family of 6. I decided recently to have the TA add my respite care provider to help with my special needs child and the TA was unable to do so. Royal is telling her that 3rd and 4th occupancy is restricted. Has anyone ever encountered a situation like this? I would think if we already have the rooms and not met the room occupancy we could add someone?

We have two rooms booked for June 10, 2019 on the Mariner. We have connecting rooms and both rooms have pullman beds with occupancy of 4 in each room. When I booked rooms we have it 3 and 3 in each room for our family of 6. I decided recently to have the TA add my respite care provider to help with my special needs child and the TA was unable to do so. Royal is telling her that 3rd and 4th occupancy is restricted. Has anyone ever encountered a situation like this? I would think if we already have the rooms and not met the room occupancy we could add someone?

That means lifeboat capacity has been met and no 3rd or 4th can be added. Often happens close to the cruise date. You could ask for other cabins where this isn't the case

That means lifeboat capacity has been met and no 3rd or 4th can be added. Often happens close to the cruise date. You could ask for other cabins where this isn't the case

Thanks! That makes sense. We wanted to put her in her own room but she is only 19 can't get a room on her own. So its possible closer final payment if people cancel I might have a chance to add her?

It may be that the lifeboat capacity of that particular muster station has been met, or it may be that the ship is nearing full capacity. Very often, at times of high 3rd/4th passenger bookings, if the number of 3rd/4th passengers booked would bring the ship to full capacity if all remaining cabins were sold at double occupancy, then the line will restrict any further 3rd/4th passengers until all cabins are sold at double occupancy. They do this because they make more on the first two passengers in a cabin than on the third and fourth occupants.

There are more "berths" or beds available on the ship than she can carry by law (lifeboat capacity limit), in order to give those wishing to book 3rd/4th guests a choice of cabin categories.

Thanks! That makes sense. We wanted to put her in her own room but she is only 19 can't get a room on her own. So its possible closer final payment if people cancel I might have a chance to add her?

she can if next door or across hall

I believe the 19 year old is the respite care provider, and the ability to book minors in a cabin by themselves is with the legal guardian next door or across the hall, IIRC.

Thanks. I will look into seeing if there are any rooms left if thats an option but when I initially tried the TA said she had to be 21. My husband and I are listed as an adult in each one of our connecting rooms and could not get a 3rd room bc of the age rule. I guess the key here is not to take 5 kids on a cruise.:D

I believe the 19 year old is the respite care provider, and the ability to book minors in a cabin by themselves is with the legal guardian next door or across the hall, IIRC.

Wrong. Even if she is considered a minor which is not the case, she can be alone in a cabin with someone responsible for her next door

Put your husband and two kids in one of your existing rooms, your two other kids in the room next door, and then book you and your caregiver in a nearby room.

Your underage kids can be next door to your husband in a room by themselves, and then the underage caregiver is "properly supervised" by you being her roommate.

This method saves you from having to pay the single supplement fare for the caregiver to be in her own room.

Once you're on board, Guest Services can give you a key to the room you're actually going to be staying in.

Wrong. Even if she is considered a minor which is not the case, she can be alone in a cabin with someone responsible for her next door

Unless the family has legal guardianship of their caregiver she will not be able to be in a room without an adult. It does not matter if it is connecting, adjacent or across the hall.

Here is Royals full policy on the matter,

Royal Caribbean International’s sailing age policy is as follows:

On all sailings embarking in the USA and Canada, no guest under the age of 21 will be booked in a stateroom unless accompanied by an adult 21 years or older. The adult does not have to be a parent or guardian.

Connecting staterooms are counted as different staterooms for the above requirements. The sailing age policy is determined by the embarkation port. Thus, on a sailing from the United States to the United Kingdom, the minimum age is 21. On a sailing from the United Kingdom to the United States, the minimum would be 18.

The exceptions to Royal Caribbean International's age policy are as follows:

A. Underage Married Couples: Underage married couples are allowed to sail, provided they show proof of marriage during pier check-in. The "proof of marriage" is the document guests receive from the official presiding at the ceremony; the critical component of the document is the notarized signature of the official.

B. Active Duty Military Personnel: Underage active duty members of the United States or Canadian military are allowed to sail with proof of active duty military status that must be presented during pier check-in. For sailing age requirement purposes, these underage members of the military will be considered an adult in the stateroom.

C. Minors Traveling with Parents: Minors can be berthed without an adult in the stateroom only when at least one parent is sailing and the staterooms are physically adjacent (directly next door or directly across the hall) to one another.

Minors travelling without a parent or legal guardian shall be berthed with an adult. No other family members (such as grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.) may fill the role of a parent or guardian for berthing purposes. If a guest brings both related and non-related minors, the following applies:

· If the total of related minors is equal to or greater than the number of non-related minors sailing, then the minors may sail in a room physically adjacent (directly next door or directly across the hall) to the parents' stateroom.

· If the total number of non-related minors is greater than the number of related minors in the traveling party, there must be an adult in each stateroom.

· The number of non-related minors may not exceed the number of related minors in a stateroom that does not contain an adult.

*Please note: Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to ask for proof of age.

Thank you everyone. The TA can't believe a sailing this far out is completely booked. I went out there to see what rooms were left if I had any options and it must be completely full because I can't even find it out there now. Hopefully maybe first of next year people will cancel and space will fill up.

Thank you everyone. The TA can't believe a sailing this far out is completely booked. I went out there to see what rooms were left if I had any options and it must be completely full because I can't even find it out there now. Hopefully maybe first of next year people will cancel and space will fill up.

A newly renovated ship with new amenities will probably book up early.

I wonder if it's been chartered. I can't imagine it would be completely sold out more than a year in advance.

ETA

Yes, I'm sorry but it looks like it is chartered http://94fmthefish.net/content/music/jesus-freak-cruise-featuring-dc-talk-returns-for-2019

Edited by dcgrumpy

I wonder if it's been chartered. I can't imagine it would be completely sold out more than a year in advance.

ETA

Yes, I'm sorry but it looks like it is chartered http://94fmthefish.net/content/music/jesus-freak-cruise-featuring-dc-talk-returns-for-2019

Thank you for the update I may have to do some research and change our plans.

Thank you for the update I may have to do some research and change our plans.

Your sailing has definitely been chartered, it doesn't show up on any online TA or on Royal. This happened to my November 2018 sailing on the Mariner. They offered us $50 OBC per person if we moved the date and didn't cancel but their cancellation email came almost one month after they pulled the sailing.

It could also be a partial charter which is why it is classified as a full charter. Booking just opened and they are probably waiting to see how many berths they fill before cancelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Royal is trying to say its not chartered but I think it's safe to say I need to start over and find a different cruise.

When you rebook, use this method:

Put your husband and two kids in one of your existing rooms, your two other kids in the room next door, and then book you and your caregiver in a nearby room.

Your underage kids can be next door to your husband in a room by themselves, and then the underage caregiver is "properly supervised" by you being her roommate.

This method saves you from having to pay the single supplement fare for the caregiver to be in her own room.

Once you're on board, Guest Services can give you a key to the room you're actually going to be staying in.

Very frustrated with Royal. They are still insisting it hasnt been chartered, yet when I called the TA handling the event they say it has been chartered.

Sad, but sometimes takes couple days for head to know what the tail is doing. Just keep checking. Happened to me, was a 13nite Repo that got canceled, took the other ship option they gave me 12nite REPO sailing same time frame, also received a very generous OBC...

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Still no word from Royal that this has been chartered. I called the travel agency who has the booking for the charter and they were nice enough to check my room number and said she has somone else booked in our rooms. Cut our losses and book something else and pay more or keep waiting for an offer?