RC Food Quality

I've cruised with Disney, Princess, Norwegian, Royal and Carnival. The only cruise line I've ever thought the food was less than delicious was Carnival, which I found mostly bland and unremarkable. However, both Carnival cruises were quick, bargain-priced getaways. IMHO, you get what you pay for.

Majors:

1. HAL

2. Princess

3. Celebrity

4. RCI

Idk about Carnival. The in laws love the burgers and eat them for weeks at a time. Im passing on that.

Near-luxury line Oceania is by far the best food at sea imo. Though I am not familiar with the "luxury" lines.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Forums mobile app

My group of 11 just got off the Anthem today. Everyone loved the cruise, but the common complaint was the food. I kept telling everyone that the food on Carnival is better, but people tend to scrunch up their face when you say the word Carnival, even if they’ve never sailed on it before. I’ve sort of gotten used to the mediocre food on Royal so it didn’t bother me that much, but my family members weren’t happy. We ate in the Windjammer, MDR, JR, and Chops Grille.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What are some places / items to avoid? What aspects did you like?

Of course tastes are subject, and we are all experts on our own opinion. Just sales on the AOTS in March. Noticed that the MDR menus had changed a bit from our cruise on the Rhapsody a year earlier. Every night there were about 5 items that were the same. A steak, pasta or chicken breast. There were about 3 or 4 items that changed every night. I personally thought the new items were a bit of a step up in quality, even if there were fewer options. Our family enjoyed the MDR every night. We altered between WJ, Park Cafe and Solarium for breakfast and lunch and always found great food. I would have to say that I have never had a burger or pizza on any RCL Cruise. Like others have said. I don’t have to cook, or clean.

I've only sailed Carnival once, and was pleasantly surprised with the food. I thought the MDR food was a bit better on Carnival. The casual food options on Carnival were much better. I am so tired and disappointed in the dismal offerings at Cafe Promenade and Sorrento's.

We obviously do not cruise solely for the food, because the prefer the overall experience of Royal to Carnival!

. Problem is some cheapskate posters expect 4-5 star quality products for nothing and if they don't get what they want, they come here to trash the cruise line like calling the food cafeteria quality. Hardly an objective and fair review.

I ordered Caeser salad & steak in MDR and requested medium rare. Took about 25mins to receive salad. Then another 30 to get our main course and it was gray. The entire steak. It was like it was frozen then microwaved. I finished the veggies and we left. No point in waiting longer. The service was extremely slow. Like 15 mins between refilling our drinks slow.

Happened several times during breakfast in MDR as well. Tables on either side of us got drinks and refills while we sat waiting. Finally got up to get our own water. Head waiter must have seen and told us to leave glasses and he'd get someone to fill. Still took about 5 mins and he explained no one knew who's section we were in. We didn't seat ourselves. We were shown to these seats.

Windjammer wasn't any better. Bland, lukewarm foods and basically the same selection every night.

Felt like a cafeteria, only I've had better food in some cafeterias. I'm not expecting 4 or 5 star cuisine at all. I like simple, good food. Nothing fancy. Good food doesn't have to be difficult. I think their food sources are low quality (explains the brown iceberg lettuce every single day on buffet... Carnival uses Romaine btw). Last day there was no lettuce at all... Just purple cabbage. I was like ***?

Just disappointing. Carnival is a cheaper cruise usually and Blue Iguana, Guys, Mongolian grill blow RCCL away.. I hardly think any of that is 4 or 5 star meals.. it's just good.

You always have that option upgrading to specialty restaurants. Problem is some cheapskate posters expect 4-5 star quality products for nothing and if they don't get what they want, they come here to trash the cruise line like calling the food cafeteria quality. Hardly an objective and fair review.

Call me spoiled, but I got what appeared to be 4 star meals from Carnival in 2011 (pre-American Table), for 7 days in a veranda at $730. That's if I consider Outback Steakhouse / Black Angus a 3 star... maybe my scale is off? In 2014, we ate even better on Celebrity, at $750 for an OV in Alaska. I don't think I'm a cheapskate for wanting the same value, adjusting prices for inflation. Speciality restaurants are ok I guess, but Royal is starting to ask more than the land based equivalents. I can just book HAL or Celebrity for cheaper, premium lines. Now if RCCL offers unlimited speciality dining as a perk, or an inexpensive upgrade, they'll have my ears.

I've only sailed Carnival once, and was pleasantly surprised with the food. I thought the MDR food was a bit better on Carnival. The casual food options on Carnival were much better. I am so tired and disappointed in the dismal offerings at Cafe Promenade and Sorrento's.

We obviously do not cruise solely for the food, because the prefer the overall experience of Royal to Carnival!

This seems to be a popular opinion, food is lacking but Royal exceeds in all other areas.

It will pain RC cheerleaders to admit it, but Carnival wins when it comes to food. Especially quick service.

I 100 percent agree!!! I cruised RC a few years ago and then 2 weeks ago and nothing changed [emoji20]

But definitely you can find some good food for it to worth the most AMAZING ENTERTAINMENT RC offers!!!

This being IMHO [emoji4]

We did really have some GREAT complimentary meals in the SOLARIUM BAR[emoji7]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of MDR and WJ quality of food, it's been brought up here before that people believe the quality of food in these venues has gone downhill on purpose, in order to get more paxs to pay for the Specialty Restaurants.

Folks have even mentioned from recent cruises, that when entering the MDR and WJ (after doing Washy Washy...lol), there are RCI crew members with menus in hand, trying to up-sell paxs to the Specialty Restaurants.

Now we're seeing posts about poor quality food and service in the Specialty Restaurants.

FWIW, some interesting reading from our great editors here on CC, regarding

Best Cruise Ships for Dining

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?Category=Dining

Speaking of MDR and WJ quality of food, it's been brought up here before that people believe the quality of food in these venues has gone downhill on purpose, in order to get more paxs to pay for the Specialty Restaurants.

Folks have even mentioned from recent cruises, that when entering the MDR and WJ (after doing Washy Washy...lol), there are RCI crew members with menus in hand, trying to up-sell paxs to the Specialty Restaurants.

Now we're seeing posts about poor quality food and service in the Specialty Restaurants.

FWIW, some interesting reading from our great editors here on CC, regarding

Best Cruise Ships for Dining

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?Category=Dining

LOL - so funny!:'):D

As a new RCCL cruiser I would like to offer my opinion. I have been extremely disappointed in Carnival's food in recent years along with service. We booked a cruise on Harmony 4/28 and looked forward to it. When we tried the MDR food we were stunned at the lack of choices offed nightly, waiters were cordial and attentive dining room beautiful but food was not at dining room levels. We tried Windjammer and it was really crowded with what seemed to be limited hours. We tried the steakhouse at over $100 and it was the worst food of the cruise. We heard others complaining about it also. The desserts were excellent best that I have eaten on a cruise. I also tend to believe that in a few years there will be a buffet and pay restaurants only. I was so disappointed after looking forward to a better more upscale experience than Carnival has. We actually hope that it is this ship/ trip only and decided to book a 4 day in August on a smaller ship. I will let you know how that goes when we return. I am not trying to start any arguments here these are only our opinions.

As a new RCCL cruiser I would like to offer my opinion. I have been extremely disappointed in Carnival's food in recent years along with service. We booked a cruise on Harmony 4/28 and looked forward to it. When we tried the MDR food we were stunned at the lack of choices offed nightly, waiters were cordial and attentive dining room beautiful but food was not at dining room levels. We tried Windjammer and it was really crowded with what seemed to be limited hours. We tried the steakhouse at over $100 and it was the worst food of the cruise. We heard others complaining about it also. The desserts were excellent best that I have eaten on a cruise. I also tend to believe that in a few years there will be a buffet and pay restaurants only. I was so disappointed after looking forward to a better more upscale experience than Carnival has. We actually hope that it is this ship/ trip only and decided to book a 4 day in August on a smaller ship. I will let you know how that goes when we return. I am not trying to start any arguments here these are only our opinions.

I appreciate your opinion as we're also new RC cruisers who will be on the Anthem next May. On our past carnival cruises, the last one being in 2015, we were satisfied with the food. So, I'm hoping to receive the same on RC. However, I'm starting to think all mainstream cruise lines will have sub par food...

I thought I noticed a thread on this, but I can't find it...

I know food is so subjective, but what are people's general thoughts and opinions on RC's included food options (MDR, buffet, etc..)? How does it compare to other cruise lines, like Carnival? We've only sailed Carnival and given that our AI last year had less than desirable food, we're trying to avoid another issue with food. We're not necessarily particular, but like our food to be at the right temperature and edible.

I had to go back and look at the original post again since things got a little side-tracked with a bit of a pi**ing match...

Re-reading this combined with someone's reply on here keyed a thought in my head which may be what some of the responding posters were trying to communicate, but may have been taken the wrong way.

The last cruise I took was in 2013 - on the Monarch of the Seas to the Bahamas... and then the little kids started showing up, so DW and I haven't been able to get away.

We're scheduled to depart on the Anthem on June 9, and are (honestly) overly giddy at the though since it's been so long.

I'm sure a lot has changed with how RCI handles the experience since 2013, and dining and food options may be part of it that may very well disappoint me since it appears from other posts on this forum that more and more has gone to 'pay or upgrade' for better (i.e. - specialty restaurants).

I read that most of RCI's sailings are overbooked, and that is with what many are saying to be sub-par dining options on here. There were no specialty dining packages to be bought when I sailed in 2013 (that I can remember) - and they're push for upgrades is a way to improve their bottom line, which any properly run business will aim to do.

I am looking forward to hopefully eating in the MDR once or twice with the kids, but know we'll be spending more time in the windjammer than anything - which I never really liked (not a big buffet person). I may not enjoy the food as much as I did in previous cruises, but I have 2 little ones that would like the pizzas, fries, and hot dogs more than escargot and a vidalia onion tart (which I hope I can get my hands on).

If I WERE to have one, and it wasn't as I remembered, I'd probably post about it as well asking if people had similar experiences.

DW and I are loyal RCI Cruisers, and it would take something catastrophic to make us drop them for good - food isn't one. I'll be looking forward to eating a water steamed hot dog from the SeaPlex, and Cardboard Pizza from Sorrentos with my kids since thats what they love. I'm on vacation with my family.

Food isn't going to ruin that. :D

Happy Posting, and Happy Cruising!

Why aren’t the royal cheerleaders posting that food has gotten better in recent years? That there haven’t been cutbacks and instead have been improvements?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sure, there's water steamed hot dog from the SeaPlex, and Cardboard Pizza from Sorrentos. Allegedly that's what the OP needs to hear...

Personally, I think RCL is making a big mistake with too many giant ships. If the cruising industry doesn't grow to accommodate the supply, they are forced to lower their price to fill those cabins. The lower the price, the more they will cut... somewhere. Chasing Carnival and Norwegian for passengers is a mistake, in my opinion. MSC is going sneak up from behind, when it's too little too late for RCCL to back peddle, and reclaim the mid-range market.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Why aren’t the royal cheerleaders posting that food has gotten better in recent years? That there haven’t been cutbacks and instead have been improvements?

They wouldn't dare set foot on another cruise line, so Royal is automatically the best out there. But they also know some of the food really isn't very good, so...

Sure, there's water steamed hot dog from the SeaPlex, and Cardboard Pizza from Sorrentos. Allegedly that's what the OP needs to hear...

MSC is going sneak up from behind, when it's too little too late for RCCL to back peddle, and reclaim the mid-range market.

A few years back a friend who cruises many lines suggested that we sail on MSC. She said the food wasn’t up to par with lines like Princess and Celebrity but kids sail free and it was a good value for the money. I have never sailed MSC yet. However the food on Celebrity in 2013 was lacking. N0 where near the 5 star rating that the Celebrity cheerleaders rave about. I haven’t been on Princess since 2010 but they are commenting on that board that the buffet on the new ships are better than the MDR. We sail on Anthem next year so we will judge for our selves on the food quality. It just might be the right time to give MSC a try.

A few years back a friend who cruises many lines suggested that we sail on MSC. She said the food wasn’t up to par with lines like Princess and Celebrity but kids sail free and it was a good value for the money. I have never sailed MSC yet. However the food on Celebrity in 2013 was lacking. N0 where near the 5 star rating that the Celebrity cheerleaders rave about. I haven’t been on Princess since 2010 but they are commenting on that board that the buffet on the new ships are better than the MDR. We sail on Anthem next year so we will judge for our selves on the food quality. It just might be the right time to give MSC a try.

We definitely like Celebrity the best so far, but I've head even their MDR is on decline. Some are jumping to Luxury-Light lines like Oceania and Viking Ocean. I would just pick cruises were the BLU dining room was affordable, should this be the case. We'll be on HAL in 1 week, hoping for the best. MSC looks intriguing, and supposedly improving on their Caribbean ships to appeal to more Americans. The ships look stunning, and recent photos of their food don't look bad at all.

Any meals that I don't have to prepare or clean up after and that are served are fine with me.

Amen to that :-) We sail once a year, mostly to get away from the Midwest winter, and to spend some time together. We've sailed both Royal and Carnival, and have enjoyed both cruises. Can't say that any of our cruise high points included the food on the ships. Being from a small town in East Central Illinois, maybe our food tastes and expectations are not that high. For us, a night out usually means Texas Roadhouse or Cheddars. On our Royal cruise, we ate most nights in the Windjammer (our MDR table for 2 was about 18 inches away from a table for 6), and it was good. On our Carnival cruises, we eat in the MDR for dinner, and have enjoyed it. I will give the Royal Windjammer buffet higher marks than Carnival, mostly due to the layout of the buffet, with different stations. On the Dream the buffet was typical cafeteria style - wait in a long line, slowly shuffling forward as you fill your plate. But Carnival wins hand-down for lunch options - Guy's burger, Blue Iguana Cantina, Mongolian Wok, Tandoor...

Got off the Adventure of the Seas last Friday. Royal remains our lowest favourite of all of the cruise lines for food.

MDR - looked nice but bland and tasteless. Salads now come "pre-dressed" with a tiny drizzle of dressing; beef was over tenderized with all of the flavour sucked out and an unpleasing texture. There were a few good dishes (if you like that style/meat) like the pork shank (my mother really enjoyed this; I don't like slow cooked meats), and the coconut shrimp on the last night.

Windjammer - ate here once - okay for cafeteria, mass produced food. Much prefer Carnival for their made for you choices on the Lido deck with better hours and more variety.

Café Promenade - this was one of the better options for lunch or snacks. Breakfast was okay but the breakfast sandwiches were often hard and the "burritos" were just plain weird. Pastries were very good. Sandwiches at lunch had a nice variety and the salads were generally excellent. Desserts were also generally tasty though little variety throughout the week.

Room Service - yes it costs $8 per order but it beat the heck out of the other choices. The Philly steak sandwich (while not totally authentic because there is no whiz), was very good - tender pieces of beef with onions and peppers and a big gooey pile of cheese. The burger is thick and tasty; the salads are fantastic. The only thing that wasn't good was the chicken tenders (overdone); otherwise, I'll be eating a lot more room service on any future Royal cruises and building this into the total cost of our trip.

I enjoy dining on our Carnival cruises - I find the American table menus offer a lot more choice than the current Royal menus; and the made for you options on their Lido deck are far and away better than the choices in the Windjammer / Promenade Café.

Celebrity has a good buffet; Princess though beats all with their International Café, Buffet and excellent MDR.