VOOM....... awful

Recently back off Brilliance. Our 'deal' included VOOM surf n stream for both of us. Got the access code card with our seapass cards.

If it hadn't been included in our package, and I had paid for it, I would have been seeking a refund. Throughout the entire cruise, it constantly disconnected, requiring a return to the login page and reentering the code

It once happened 6 times in 5 minutes. We also had two days where it was totally unavailable ("IT are working on it")

Recently back off Brilliance. Our 'deal' included VOOM surf n stream for both of us. Got the access code card with our seapass cards.

If it hadn't been included in our package, and I had paid for it, I would have been seeking a refund. Throughout the entire cruise, it constantly disconnected, requiring a return to the login page and reentering the code

It once happened 6 times in 5 minutes. We also had two days where it was totally unavailable ("IT are working on it")

Good information to know, as we will be sailing on her in May 2019 for her Tampa-Amsterdam TA. May just forego bringing my laptop entirely and save on weight. Will just make valiant (albeit potentially futile) efforts to connect with our iPhones.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good information to know, as we will be sailing on her in May 2019 for her Tampa-Amsterdam TA. May just forego bringing my laptop entirely and save on weight. Will just make valiant (albeit potentially futile) efforts to connect with our iPhones.

No reason to believe that whatever problem existed won’t be fixed by then. I’d bet the disconnect issues and the days of being totally unavailable were due to the same issue. We’ll be on that TA too, so hope it’s fixed by then.

Thanks for the heads up. We will be sailing on Brilliance next month and purchased the VOOM Surf & Stream package for one device. If it's awful and unusable, I will complain immediately and if it doesn't improve I will demand a refund.

I am so sad to hear this! We will be boarding the Brilliance in 2 weeks. I have been going back and forth on purchasing the surf and stream for my 15 and 21 year old daughters. It will be around $350 for the 12 days with the current promotion. I don't mind the cost if it works but certainly don't want to experience what you did on your recent cruise! We have been on Allure and Oasis in the last 2 years and it worked perfectly. I don't know why they can't upgrade the system to work properly as this is not the first time I have heard a negative review about the surf and stream on Brilliance.

Are they hesitant about refunding your money if you have problems with it?

We were on the Brilliance last month for the TA and did not experience the problems the OP had. We had the Surf and Stream for 1 device.

That's encouraging! :)Where was your room located?

We have found that the cabin location to signal is important which is not surprising. This is a particular problem on the older RCCL ships. Also the number of people using the server (very busy on At Sea Days for example) has an impact. Finally there are satellite dead spots so ship's location sometimes has an impact.

We were on the Brilliance TA this past April and had no problems. My phone stayed connected all the time and our tablet connected every time we needed it.

I've never needed internet nor wanted it in the dozens of cruises I've been on. I look forward to turning my phone on airplane mode the minute we sail away. Maybe that's just me.

I second that. If anything happens that I need to know about, people know how to get in contact.

We’re on Oasis of the Sead now. For the most part the Voom Internet service has been fine. Mainly used it to text with a couple family members instead of trying to use walkie-talkies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm always amazed when people complain about the ships wifi. Your on a ship in the middle of the ocean and there are no wires plugged into it to provide an internet connection. It's totally reliant on the availability of satellites. Do people just expect them to be able to wave a magic wand and provide super fast always on Broadband ?

• Like 1

I'm always amazed when people complain about the ships wifi. Your on a ship in the middle of the ocean and there are no wires plugged into it to provide an internet connection. It's totally reliant on the availability of satellites. Do people just expect them to be able to wave a magic wand and provide super fast always on Broadband ?

Ha ha, well said!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People are just asking. Everyone knows you are on a ship in the middle of the ocean. It obviously varies ship to ship. No one expects a "wand to be waved". Again, people are asking a message board for information, no need to be rude about it.

The amount of "smart" comments always amaze me on this board when people are only trying to get information. I left these board for several years for this very reason. If you don't have positive feedback for the OP, then don't post at all. Off my soapbox now :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was just on the Anthem (our room was midship) and me and hubby were only booted off the internet once. It happened at the same time for us. We went to the VOOM desk, got a new code, and were back on very easily.

Actually a lot of people seem to assume that the connection will be as good as their home on a wired network, or their personal wifi.

And seem to be upset with the crew when it is not so.

Do all ships have "Surf & Stream"? When I look at my upcoming Navigator of the Seas cruise I only see "Surf" as an option.

Yes. It is very unusual to see Surf pre-cruise - that was only reported once by a UK cruiser.

Actually a lot of people seem to assume that the connection will be as good as their home on a wired network, or their personal wifi.

And seem to be upset with the crew when it is not so.

For the amount being charged for a WiFi package, most people expect some decent level of service and connection. Most do not expect "as good as at home" but just something reasonable.