To Those that have been to Bermuda before.........

allycat1964

We have been to Bermuda three times. The easiest docking area is Hamilton. You are right downtown and just a short walk to attractions. However only the smallest ships go there so our last trip we docked on the other side of the island. My memory is bad so it was either called the Royal Navy dockyard or King's Wharf. Anyway I do not recommend the scooters as the traffic moves fast and they drive on the left side of the road. Every time we visited we saw wipe-outs. There are taxis, busses and ferries to use. I will admit that it would be nicer if you could just rent a car but you can't. It is workable. And we were able to walk to Snorkel Park, the Rum Cake factory and few other places from the dock.

• Like 1

We did Bermuda and loved it, but I would advise against renting a scooter or moped. We learned from our guide that serious accidents are more common that you would expect. The roads are curvy and narrow. We did a great tour with Heidi of Byways tours.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147261-d2256601-Reviews-Byways_Tours-Southampton_Parish_Bermuda.html

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Friday 0845 NCL ferry to St George

Walk to Unfinished Church

Walk to Tobacco Bay and snorkel, walk around St George

1315 NCL ferry return to Dockyard, All Aboard 1430

Were you nervous at all about getting back to the ship? I was thinking of going to St George on my last day too but was nervous about being so far away from port. Other option would be to go to the shops but then I would miss St George all together.

Were you nervous at all about getting back to the ship? I was thinking of going to St George on my last day too but was nervous about being so far away from port. Other option would be to go to the shops but then I would miss St George all together.

We went to St. George our last day and had plenty of time. If you make sure you are on the free NCL ferry the ship will wait. Public transportation they won't.

• Like 1

Take a day tour one day.

This is what we did:

BERMUDA

Our next port was Bermuda and we had about a day and a half there. I had booked a tour with Heidi. Our tour included most of the key places listed on her Island Tour:

https://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda2_00003c.htm

The tour was great that everyone seemed to enjoy. We visited the Gibbs Hill Lighthouse, beautiful gardens, beautiful beaches, St. Georges, forts, the small drawbridge, and more. A lunch picnic included great fish sandwiches and fries. It ended with a photo opportunity for a beautiful sunset.

The next morning, we had to return to the ship by 11:30AM since the ship departed at noon. We shopped for a couple of hours and returned to the ship.

And right across the street from the Swizzle Inn is the entrance to the caves, if you are into that sort of thing you can tour them. We really enjoyed it! :)

That's the original, they have another one on the other side of Hamilton. It's also right at a rotary and in just a couple of minutes we saw two sets of Americans get confused and scooter the wrong way around.

Very easy to get around - we've been four times on cruises. Between bus and ferry service you can, with some planning on the timetables, get anyplace on the islands. The Railway Trail follows the old railroad line and is designed for walking or biking. Lots of good info on the CC port of call board, that was linked to earlier.

Don't try and see everything, just really enjoy what you do see.

This right here proved to be good advice for me.

I was in Bermuda last week and had a long list of things I wanted to try to see and do... I then prioritised that list and decided to take the time to enjoy and appreciate... sometimes less is more ;)

On Wednesday I took the $7 shuttle to Horseshoe Bay and then walked the pathway to Warwick Long Bay, stopping along the way to enjoy all the little beautiful coves. I sat a while at Warwick where it was so much more beautiful than Horseshoe imo. I then walked back to Horseshoe, drank a Rum Swizzle at Rum Bum Beach Bar then got the shuttle back to Dockyard where I had a walk around before going on board to change and grab a bite to eat before heading back out to get the ferry to Hamilton for Harbour Nights.

On Thursday I took the free NCL ferry to St Georges where I walked around for several hours, taking in the Unfinished Church, Tobacco Bay (where I drank a Rum Swizzle again), Fort St Catherine, lunch at Wahoo's.

On Friday I stayed at the Dockyard and went into the museum and viewed the dolphins at Dolphin Quest (for anyone asking about the Dolphin experience here... I have to be honest and say it didn't look particularly impressive compared to my previous experience of swimming with dolphins in Mexico). I then had a drink at Calico Jacks and watched the people jumping off the plank... lots of fun! (I'm not brave enough but loved watching.)

I have some fantastic photos and made wonderful memories on this trip. I'll share a review and some photos when I get the chance to write it up. I'm suffering with jet lag right now lol

Friday 0845 NCL ferry to St George

Walk to Unfinished Church

Walk to Tobacco Bay and snorkel, walk around St George

1315 NCL ferry return to Dockyard, All Aboard 1430

No, that's why we took the NCL-provided ferry to St George that day. I knew they might sail without me, but they wouldn't sail without 400 passengers. As long as we made it back to the ferry, I knew we'd make the ship.

• Like 1

No, that's why we took the NCL-provided ferry to St George that day. I knew they might sail without me, but they wouldn't sail without 400 passengers. As long as we made it back to the ferry, I knew we'd make the ship.

Do you have to worry that the last ferry would be so crowded you wouldn't be able to get on? What time should we be there by? I think it leaves at 1:15

Do you have to worry that the last ferry would be so crowded you wouldn't be able to get on? What time should we be there by? I think it leaves at 1:15

There's only the one ferry trip that day. It's huge. Plenty of room. We had time to walk to Tobacco bay and snorkel, walk back and check out the unfinished church and then walk back to St George and wander around town for a bit.

• Like 1

There's only the one ferry trip that day. It's huge. Plenty of room. We had time to walk to Tobacco bay and snorkel, walk back and check out the unfinished church and then walk back to St George and wander around town for a bit.

Oh wow! I didn't realize you could see all that during those hours. That makes me lean more towards saving it for the last day. Do you think trying for Copper's Bay or Gates instead of Tobacco would be just as easy to get too, or have enough time to see them? I haven't looked at the bus routes yet but I got the map.