To Those that have been to Bermuda before.........

allycat1964

Love....LOve.....LOVE Bermuda. It’s one of my favorite ports.

As mentioned, public transport (both land and water) are efficient and relatively inexpensive. Scooter travel is also fun.

I like the itinerary because you are never rushed to go anywhere or to do anything.

People are wonderful. Scenery is beautiful (obviously). Just a great port and itinerary.

Have fun!

Thanks for your post and input! I just cannot wait to go. Don't think I can contain myself for another year. I know how fast time goes but really.............this one is going to be hard to wait for! ;p;p

Wow, what a full trip and it sounded totally awesome. I can't wait to share this with my DH. What was your favorite place to snorkel? This is what I am wanting to go to Bermuda most for, the snorkeling. My DH and I went on the Escape last summer to Honduras, Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel. The snorkeling in Honduras was awesome but it was too windy that day. We had better luck in Cozumel. I cannot wait to hit the beaches in Bermuda. Tell me IndyKitten.......I have to ask, you must be from Indiana? I grew up in Northern Indiana.....a little town called LaPorte! Just had to ask! :) Thanks so much for all your great information. It is truly appreciated!

Ally

So we had planned to snorkel in Church Bay and Tobacco Bay but only made it to Tobacco Bay, which was great snorkeling. I don't think Church Bay is quite so protected, so I think with the surf that day that it would have been challenging anyways. If you check the Bermuda board and search for snorkeling there is some good info. Also TripAdvisor forum has good info as well. Of course I can't find the good pics but we saw lots of trigger fish and some giant bright blue parrot fish. Bermuda has absolutely gorgeous beaches with clear, turquoise blue water. It was like snorkeling in a Tiffany's box.

1fy8gk.jpg

Yes, we are from Indiana, I've been through LaPorte many times. :)

I will definitely check out all the boards on the snorkeling. I can just tell it had to have been awesome from this photo and cannot wait to see those huge parrot fish. I just don't know how I am going to wait for a year, lol! Thanks again for sharing....from one Hoosier to the other! :)

I will definitely check out all the boards on the snorkeling. I can just tell it had to have been awesome from this photo and cannot wait to see those huge parrot fish. I just don't know how I am going to wait for a year, lol! Thanks again for sharing....from one Hoosier to the other! :)

No problem. I'm doing a day by day review of our trip, but I haven't gotten to the Bermuda days yet! Enjoy your trip. I actually find the planning and anticipation to be a big part of the fun.

This is excellent information and we truly appreciate your help. My daughters will just be 18 when we travel. They are new drivers and I would never subject them to any harm, or myself for that matter. I have heard other horror stories so we will not be doing any scooters for sure. Thanks again!

Ally

Have a great time!

This is excellent information and we truly appreciate your help. My daughters will just be 18 when we travel. They are new drivers and I would never subject them to any harm, or myself for that matter. I have heard other horror stories so we will not be doing any scooters for sure. Thanks again!

Ally

I would never suggest a new driver or an unseasoned bike rider to rent a scooter. We use to ride dirt bikes, so we had some experience with bikes before. We will definitely do the scooters again when we go back, but we will remember to bring the Gopro camera next time. Still kicking ourselves that we forgot it last time! Anyways, as others have said, it is very easy to get around in Bermuda. With the buses and ferries, you can't go wrong. Try to stop in at the Swizzle Inn. A nice place and may still have free wifi!

No problem. I'm doing a day by day review of our trip, but I haven't gotten to the Bermuda days yet! Enjoy your trip. I actually find the planning and anticipation to be a big part of the fun.

You are absolutely right in the anticipation part. Can make otherwise long days exciting to say the least! Have a super day and again, thanks!

I would never suggest a new driver or an unseasoned bike rider to rent a scooter. We use to ride dirt bikes, so we had some experience with bikes before. We will definitely do the scooters again when we go back, but we will remember to bring the Gopro camera next time. Still kicking ourselves that we forgot it last time! Anyways, as others have said, it is very easy to get around in Bermuda. With the buses and ferries, you can't go wrong. Try to stop in at the Swizzle Inn. A nice place and may still have free wifi!

Will definitely look for the Swizzle Inn. Seems like a lot of folks go there. Thanks!

we've been twice on a cruise and once for work. I love it. Don't try and see everything, just really enjoy what you do see. On the first trip we had just over 2.5 days. We bought a 2 day transportation pass and decided to be safe timing wise and enjoy what there was to see at the dockyard on our last day. We did ferry to Hamilton day 1. St George's was the plan for day 2, but hubby hurt his foot day 1 and we couldn't do the walking tour. Instead we decided to get off the ship and roam around. At the end of the dock a taxi driver asked if we wanted a tour. It was great. He took us all over and was very responsive in asking what we were interested in and taking us to things we would like.

I like what you said, just enjoy what you do see. I know we can't take in everything. So sorry about your hubby hurting his foot!

I am a snorkeler who has been to Bermuda multiple times. Off shore are your -superior snorkels. And in my opinion, Tobacco Bay is far from great- compared to several other areas I've been to. In my opinion, Church is way superior as well as areas off Spanish. I have a few others I also prefer over Tobacco.

I am a snorkeler who has been to Bermuda multiple times. Off shore are your -superior snorkels. And in my opinion, Tobacco Bay is far from great- compared to several other areas I've been to. In my opinion, Church is way superior as well as areas off Spanish. I have a few others I also prefer over Tobacco.

Thanks so much for your input. I have read also that offshore are where the superiors are as well. We will definitely look into those as well. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Ally

Will definitely look for the Swizzle Inn. Seems like a lot of folks go there. Thanks!

And right across the street from the Swizzle Inn is the entrance to the caves, if you are into that sort of thing you can tour them. We really enjoyed it! :)

• Like 1

And right across the street from the Swizzle Inn is the entrance to the caves, if you are into that sort of thing you can tour them. We really enjoyed it! :)

Now that is planning. Yes, we are totally into that kind of thing. Thanks so much!

Easy to get around by Bus. Not sure if there is more than 1 docking location (Kings Wharf ??) for the Ship to Dock in Bermuda but the local buses stopped right in front of the cruise terminal we were at. Easy to get around. I concur, Bermuda has been my favorite island for all the reasons that have been stated.

DO NOT RENT a moped or scooter. We had 3 days in Bermuda and came across 3 people on our cruise who had broken bones and/or bruised faces. All related to renting one of these.

• Like 1

We just got back from our first cruise to Bermuda and I found it terribly easy to get around on. We did it all on our own, no excursions so I'll post my itinerary for you.

Wednesday 0800 Arrive Royal Naval Dockyard

Visitor Information Center, Buy 2-day transit passes. $31.50

Take ferry to Hamilton

Bus 10 to Aquarium/Zoo, 20 minutes. BAMZ $10, closes 1600

Bus 10 or 11 to Swizzle Inn/Grotto Bay/Blue Hole, 10 minutes

Lunch at Swizzle Inn

Kayak Blue Hole, $20 for 2 hours

Bus 10 or 11 to St George's

Ferry back to Dockyard, 1545 or 1745

Ferry back to Hamilton, pickup at 1845, return at 2100 or 2230

Harbor Nights 1900-2200

Thursday Bus 7 or 8 to Church Bay, swim/snorkel (we missed this stop but I think the surf would have been too rough that day to snorkel)

Walk to Gibbs Hill lighthouse

Walk to Horseshoe Bay, swim/snorkel

Bus 7 to Botanical Gardens, 20 minutes. (We skipped this but could have gone, we had time)

Bus 1, 2 or 7 to Hamilton

Lunch at Art Mel’s Spicy Dicy, St Monica’s Rd, 20 minute walk

Gosling’s Distillery, 9 Dundonald St, closes at 1700

Ferry back to Dockyard, 1630 or 1800

Friday 0845 NCL ferry to St George

Walk to Unfinished Church

Walk to Tobacco Bay and snorkel, walk around St George

1315 NCL ferry return to Dockyard, All Aboard 1430

Wow, thanks for sharing what you did. For the 2 day passes, do you think it was worth the money and did you have to wait long for some of these buses? I heard right now that their buses are limited and are having problem.

Thanks.

We will be going in June of 2019 and we will have 4 teenagers with us who would love to experience a dolphin encounter. Does anyone know if this is possible? Thank you for whatever info you can offer.

We had friends who did the Dolphin encounter and loved it. We went to take pictures for them and I believe we had to pay a small fee to get into the historical area where it was, but that was on our list to tour any way, so no big deal. I only have one picture of it towards the end of my photo book from our trip, but you can see it here.

It is a short walk from the cruise ship. We were there for 2 3/4 days and they did their dolphin encounter in the morning on the last day.

I will try and put some more of our photos somewhere accessible later today.

We are all set for a cruise on the Escape in June of 2019 to Bermuda. This will be our 3rd cruise. I am the only one that is totally excited about it.....the others not so much! Now that we have booked the cruise my DH is worried about getting around and afraid we jumped the gun. We like to see as much as we possibly can and is is fearful that it is going to be too hard to get around and see everything we would like to see and have it be affordable if you will. Can some of you that have been to Bermuda before please share with me your experiences and the things you did and how you got around. Thanks so much! I appreciate any feedback!

Bermuda is very easy to get around.

Get a bus/ferry pass. Take the ferries to Hamilton and St. George. They are the fastest way to get to those destinations. Use the bus to get to any other places that you want to go to.

Both ferries and a couple of bus routes leave from the Dockyard. All bus routes start from a central location in downtown Hamilton.

• Thanks 1

been to bermuda 4x, 3 times by ship, once by air.

i bought a FODORs and mapped everything out we wanted to do the first time i went. that gave me 6 days on land there. couldnt see everything, btu saw alot.

i still havent seen it all, i always find new things to see and do there or enjoy some repeat things.

its my fave place!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Tell DH to relax...lol. We have been to Bermuda 4 times. It's by far our favorite island (out of about 10 we've been to) there are cabs, mini buses, regular buses, and ferrys to get around. It's a great island, and I'm sure you will all love it.

Will do, lol and thank you for the positive feedback. I am just so excited to go to Bermuda. It has been on my bucket list for quite some time now. Next June can't get here soon enough!

Ally

This is so very helpful. I think my DH was afraid that it ISN'T EASY to get around. We have been on the Escape once and I cannot wait to get back on her next summer. Thanks so very much for your positive response. I just know everyone is going to love it there!

I would recommend the harbor shuttle/bus combo. I can't remember the price but very inexpensive. The bus is a city/island bus and you can get off at any time and get back on.

You will love Bermuda.

I sailed to Bermuda in April. It was VERY easy to find transportation to get around the island. The cheapest method is the public buses. There are also ferries to Hamilton from the cruise port. And many companies offer van transportation to various places on the island for people who have not booked any tour, and for a much lower cost than taxis. Don't worry - getting around Bermuda is a breeze!

• Like 1

I would recommend the harbor shuttle/bus combo. I can't remember the price but very inexpensive. The bus is a city/island bus and you can get off at any time and get back on.

You will love Bermuda.

The public buses have designated stops; they are not HOHO buses. The ferry/bus combo is called a Transportation Pass, and costs $31.50 for the 2 day version.

SBtS

We have cruised to Bermuda many times from Boston. Bermuda is, by far, the best cruise that we have ever taken. Friendly locals who are eager to help tourists, lovely quaint shops in St. George, and clean beaches.

Public transportation by bus and ferry can get tourists to many places. There is a tourist office near the ship docks with plenty of information.

One tip about the buses------some drivers go fast around curves, which caused me to suffer motion sickness. Now I always take bonine 30 minutes before boarding.

Enjoy your cruise-------no worries.