Flying to a port-book your own travel or use NCL airsea program

ThreeChiMom

We're planning a trip for next year and we need to fly into the port where the ship will embark from. Can anyone recommend if it's best to book your own travel and arrange for your bags to be taken to the ship (versus we take them to the ship with us) OR, use NCL's airsea program? I realize we would have to assume the risk's involved with booking our own travel, versus using NCL's program whereby if there was an issue with delayed flights they would arrange to get us to the ship no matter what. However I've heard that the issue with the airsea program is that you are at their mercy as far as schedule and you don't have the choice as to what flight they book you on. We'll have a very tight schedule (have to fly in the morning of departure and fly out the day of return), one of us HAS to be at work the next day.

Appreciate your feedback!

We have always booked our own air including Barcelona. It was less expensive and we could choose our times etc. We always arrive the day before embarkation and relax at a hotel, which we also book on our own. The exception was the hotel in Barcelona when we used NCL because we wanted a few days there pre-cruise. The hotel was right where we wanted to be and the price was right. We did not use the ship shuttle though it was included.

You're making assumptions. The cruise can NOT "get you there, no matter what". They are ONLY a booking agent- a middle man. They aren't going to magically find a flight for you.

With your tight schedule- I'd suggest booking yourself. Schedule the - first flight you can manage, even if lat the evening prior. It's of significant advantage to have at least a following available flight. You don't mention your route?

Frankly- YOU need to manage your baggage. The more YOU see it, the easier it is to track it, if it goes missing. You'll have to claim your bag at the airport. Then figure out what transportation you want to/from the ship.

I suggest you take time, and read the detailed cruise contracted air arrangement sticky on the Cruise Air page.

Our booking included an airfare and hotel credit, but when attempting to book it wasn't clear if we could get the flights we wanted or even the exact details of the itinerary. As for the hotel, it appears that NCL has certain properties they deal with and the reviews for the one in Miami were fine - but we wanted to be in a different part of town so we booked on our own.

To be honest, I'm sure we're paying more, but by booking our own travel we have the confidence in our airline, and hotel choice and the schedule. If we were departing out of a non-US location then I'd plan to arrive at least 2-3 days before to explore and also to get on local time. That first day can be a loss if you're exhausted.

the only advantage of booking via the ship would be a special package that will save you 100s of dollars. Otherwise, I think booking your own air is by far the best. As mentioned by others, we always arrange to fly in at least one day prior to sailing. It helps prevent missed ships in the case of delayed flights or something and it gives us a chance to unwind a little.

I have used RCL's program and was generally pleased but they only promise NOT guarantee that they will get you to the ship.

I attempted to use NCL's on our last transatlantic cruise and found it to be vastly inferior. You need to contact NCL for the info. RCL's lets you see all the details and option all the way to choosing your seats.

Personally, I would book independently like the others have suggested. Also, I would never use the ship's air program for a cruise close to the USA, like Caribbean, Mexico, Alaska, etc.

We traveled from Vancouver, Canada to New Orleans - in 2016 I booked our airfare, in 2017 we booked through NCL. It was nice to be greeted at the port by NCL, transportation arranged to hotel & to pier, price included night in hotel, so it was cheaper than I could find.

I always ask my PCC for the cost of NCL's airfare, usually not enough saving to warrant giving up control of flight choices.

Booking via NCL wil be more expensive, but one of the big advantages you get is if there is a big change in your booking like a charter or late change to a dry dock schedule. In that case, if you take up the change offer, your flight will follow it, and if you cancel because of a change, you get the whole costs back, includung the flight costs. Book your flights yourself and you have to take the whole hit if there is a big change not covered on your flight ticket. Like most things, there are plusses and minusses and it depends on your risk profiles which one you take.