Unfinished wine in ATD

New Jersey Pat

Our habit is to drink a half a bottle of wine at dinner and save the rest for the next night. We have always had TD and our waiter always had our partial bottle of wine on our table when we arrived. This will be our first time with ATD and I am wondering how long it will take for our waiter to find a partial bottle of wine. Would appreciate any suggestions as to how to how to make this go smoothly.

I believe all the opened wine is stored in the same location from what I remember on a ship's tour in 2009. We have bought a bottle at specialty restaurants many times and finished them the next night at our TD. In ATD you might be asked for your card when done for the evening if the waiter didn't track the cruise card info when you bought the wine.

Our habit is to drink a half a bottle of wine at dinner and save the rest for the next night. We have always had TD and our waiter always had our partial bottle of wine on our table when we arrived. This will be our first time with ATD and I am wondering how long it will take for our waiter to find a partial bottle of wine. Would appreciate any suggestions as to how to how to make this go smoothly.

We've done this many times, both in MDRs and Specialty restaurants, always with ATD. Most of the time, it's pretty quick and they can return with your bottle within a few minutes. Once or twice it's taken longer, and once they actually managed to bring the bottle at the END of our meal. It helps to make sure that when you've half-finished the bottle you're planning to finish another time, ensure that the waiter clearly marks your folio number (the four digit number at the bottom right corner of the your cruise card) on the label as that's what they use to link it to you. Better yet, write it yourself. When you arrive the next night, tell the waiter as soon as you sit down that there is a bottle with your folio number on it, tell them exactly which wine (1982 Chateau Margaux for example ;o) and it may even help to tell them which restaurant you started the bottle in.

On our last cruise of 19 nights we had the silver package for wine. Loved the convenience.

We usually only drink 1/2 bottle with our meal. The waiter or assistant will mark the bottle with your folio #.

The next night you let them know when they greet the table that you have a part bottle of wine left from the night before, your folio #, what kind it is and where you had it. It takes them like 10 minutes to bring it. Easy peasy!!

I think only once did they ever have a difficult time finding our bottle and that was because the wrong # was written on the bottle. They found it by the name of the wine and brought it to us. Yep! That's it. That took about 20 minutes to find that time.

This happened when you were still allowed to bring magnums on board and we brought two magnums of Zinfandel from one of our favorite wineries. We ate in Sabatini’s the first night and didn’t finish the bottle. We were in anytime dining the next night and they had a hard time finding our bottle [emoji848] I told them to look for the large bottle. If finally showed up about 10 minutes later. Other than that we haven’t had any issues.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 5 months later...
11 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

Off the Coral last Sunday and had no problems drinking our wine in several locations. As long as your waiter has logged the wine properly, they can access it in any dining venue.

That is what should happen based on my experience on HAL ships.  In fact, a bottle saved in any location--MDR or a specific Bar--can be obtained upon the guest's request.  Some time is obviously involved in doing so.  But, at least on HAL ships:  it happens.

In preparation for my upcoming Royal Princess cruise, I appreciate this post appearing.  I have been wondering about this question.

11 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

That is what should happen based on my experience on HAL ships.  In fact, a bottle saved in any location--MDR or a specific Bar--can be obtained upon the guest's request.  Some time is obviously involved in doing so.  But, at least on HAL ships:  it happens.

In preparation for my upcoming Royal Princess cruise, I appreciate this post appearing.  I have been wondering about this question.

Any other questions, just ask. I went through a lot of wine postings to put together a doc on bringing wine on also. There is a link to it out there somewhere. If you need it and can not find it, let me know

• Like 1

They usually can find it quickly - even changing venues.  On our last cruise on the Royal, we had a 1/2 bottle left when we ate in the Crown Grill.  The next night we ate in Alfredo's and they were able to find it.  We just gave them our folio number and described the wine - easy peasy!!