Why Miami?

Lots of ships all the way up to Voyager class regularly sail from Miami and have for years. They have terminal G (closest to the city) as their usual terminal. That will likely keep being used even after the new terminal for Symphony is done.

Sailed on Liberty OTS twice - 10/09 and 6/10 out of Miami. So even Freedom class has docked in Miami.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Fort Lauderdale currently has more "cruiser friendly" hotels, places that have free shuttles to and from the airport, cheap or free shuttles to the cruiseport. Perhaps Miami will step up now, but I doubt it.

Southwest flies into FLL but not into MIA.

That extra hour to Miami is a killer for some people who would drive to Port Everglades but say they won't drive to Miami.

Wish Jetblue would add Miami as well.

I live in Central Florida, and drive to both ports. For driving I really like Miami better. More direct and easier to get to the terminals. The charge though is crazy. Hotels in FLL are much more cruise friendly than Miami, offering cruise parking, and shuttles to the pier. You usually have to take a taxi or Uber back to the hotel after the cruise, but it still saves a lot of money.

What and why the big push to change all the cruises from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami? I know they didn’t ask me or the rest of the cruising world.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The same reason there was a big shift from Miami to Fort Lauderdale in 2008 and 2009 with Independence and Oasis/Allure- money and new terminals.

Haven't sailed out of FLL, but can say that Miami was a very easy destination in terms of access. Easy trip to/from the airport, nice city to spend a night in. From a traveler's perspective it's a good place.

When you are sitting at the airport you can see the ships at Fort Lauderdale, you can't say that at Miami. Fort Lauderdale for cruising is more convenient

I sailed on the Explorer out of Miami in 2002. :)

I was speaking of Voyager class after Fort Lauderdale 2009,

Our first cruise was out of Miami in 1983 on the Song of America.

That's really only an issue for a weekday cruise - much less than an hour on a typical weekend morning, especially on a Sunday.

We flew into Fort Lauderdale on 4/22/18 had a hour and 35 drive accident. I 95 can be bad at anytime

What Voyager class was that?

I did Voyager, Explorer cruises out of Miami in 2000-2001 They use to give the cruise numbers ship had done since started first paid cruise, was on Voyager cruise #008 ever sailed... Have a large tub filled with 30yrs worth all documentation(tickets when had them), charges and daily activities from every cruise... Miss the days of Golfing and Skeet Shooting off back of Sovereign and Majesty...

Edited by ONECRUISER

It had been a number of years with no Voyager class ship cruising out of Miami until Navigator returned recently.

Adventure done a few short cruises from Miami in April 2014 just before the Ta from Miami to Southampton

On our Freedom cruise in March the employee at the Next Cruise desk said the contract with Port Everglades was up and it wasn’t being renewed. I assume from that RCI was choosing not to renew but I could be wrong...

On our Freedom cruise in March the employee at the Next Cruise desk said the contract with Port Everglades was up and it wasn’t being renewed. I assume from that RCI was choosing not to renew but I could be wrong...

Allure in returning to Port Everglades in November 2019

Sent from my iPad using Forums