Why Miami?

I figure Miami made RC an offer they could not refuse.

Is this the same Miami they wouldn’t step up and build a new terminal for the Oasis.

I understand the new terminal for the Symphony but everything has been shifted south.🤬

Sent from my iPad using Forums

NCL getting a dedicated terminal and Virgin, MSC increasing their presence could be the reason.

In Miami after loosing out for years they have started there upgrading

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Corporate offices in Miami...maybe they were tired of just having a view over the harbor of the little old Majesty sitting there. ;):cool:

Big wigs looking forward to seeing brand new big bucks Symphony docked up next to them. :D

In Miami after loosing out for years they have started there upgrading

30-40 Years ago Miami was THE Cruise Port. First 15 yrs cruising Royal only went out of Miami, last 16 not once. Then I've seen pictures of 10/11 cruise ships in Miami on same day from the 1970's..

First 15 yrs cruising Royal only went out of Miami, last 16 not once.

Lots of ships all the way up to Voyager class regularly sail from Miami and have for years. They have terminal G (closest to the city) as their usual terminal. That will likely keep being used even after the new terminal for Symphony is done.

If you ask me if I would rather go out of Lauderdale or Miami, I'd choose Miami. Much more fun to spend a night or so there beforehand. In the end, the decision is about money. Whether it is cheaper to operate there, they were given a deal by the city, or tourism helps, I don't know.

The other reason is that there is more traffic coming to both Miami and Fort Lauderdale. I agree that Fort Lauderdale is better, only because the airport is so close. Over the next 10 years we are going to see many more ships coming into these ports. With Harmony and Allure already turning around in Lauderdale, Symphony had to go somewhere else.

Just my observations

Brian J

We were jaded by Miami's Ultra Music Festival on one cruise. Two days of heavy traffic and the floor of the hotel vibrating. We probably should have gotten over it by now but we usually stay in Lauderdale and then head to Miami on embarkation day.

Lots of ships all the way up to Voyager class regularly sail from Miami and have for years. They have terminal G (closest to the city) as their usual terminal. That will likely keep being used even after the new terminal for Symphony is done.

Yes know all that, been on every ship except Freedom Class. When brand new was on Sovereign, Majesty, Grandeur, Enchantment, Voyager and Explorer from 1988-2001 in Miami like I said.. 1990's-thew now sailed Vision and Brilliance class out of Ft Lauderdale, Galveston, Boston, San Diego...

Fort Lauderdale currently has more "cruiser friendly" hotels, places that have free shuttles to and from the airport, cheap or free shuttles to the cruiseport. Perhaps Miami will step up now, but I doubt it.

Southwest flies into FLL but not into MIA.

That extra hour to Miami is a killer for some people who would drive to Port Everglades but say they won't drive to Miami.

That extra hour to Miami is a killer for some people who would drive to Port Everglades but say they won't drive to Miami.

That's really only an issue for a weekday cruise - much less than an hour on a typical weekend morning, especially on a Sunday.

That's really only an issue for a weekday cruise - much less than an hour on a typical weekend morning, especially on a Sunday.

Hey, I'm not a Floridian. I'm just repeating what A LOT of people have told me. These are people coming from a distance and Fort Lauderdale is about their limit.

What Voyager class was that?

We deal with it, but I hate cruises out of Miami as there is NO good off-site parking. In FLL we use ParknGo, have place in Tampa and PC that work great also. But Miami - NOTHING!!! We have tried every off site parking there is and they are all horrible. So we suck it up and pay the HUGE price per day at the port.. But nothing you can do about it. There just is no good off site parking in Miami.