select versus saver and tipping

BABBY

Hi could someone explain what the difference is between select/saver ( apart from the 150 each) as think just get the onboard cred and parking and shuttles - which still works out to about 30 pound more ( without taking into account shuttles) so is it worth it?

Also we like to to tip who we want to - so is this tipping per day added to your account mandatory?

Also just wondered if the entertainment and bar prices are better on p&o to thomson ( usually go with thomson as seem to be more ports and can pay for all inclusive so all paid up front ( although have been on /rci/celebrity

Thank you - any advise greatly appreciated

Hi...depends whether you think £30 is worth being able to choose your exact cabin number and choose your preferred dining arrangement instead of being given what is available. Shuttles depends what your POC are as to whether it is worth anything.

Tips/gratuities/service charge is not mandatory.

Can't say if bar prices are comparable with Thomson but P&O bar prices are comparable with pub prices in this country.

Entertainment is personal choice ....what suits one may not suit another

With Select you can pick your actual stateroom and your dining Freedom or Fixed (first or second sitting). With Saver fare you pick your type of stateroom inside/outside/balcony and then P&O can give you a stateroom anywhere on the ship, perhaps in a noisy stateroom or front/aft which feels more movement from the sea.

The Service Reward Scheme(gratuities) is automatically added to your onboard account from the first or second day of your cruise but you can go to reception and get them reduced or removed completely. Then it is up to you if you tip your waiters and cabin steward at the end of the cruise in cash or give nothing at all.

Personal viewpoint only: I'd never, ever, book a cruise without knowing exactly which cabin/suite I was getting. Only Select gives you that choice (clever, P&O) and no matter what the saving I wouldn't trust anybody but myself to select the accommodation. Too much at stake!

If the premium is small (I consider £30 small) then I would go with select because I can :

Choose my cabin

Choose dinning option

I am not too bothered about shuttles included but it might factor in my costing when working out the difference.

I often take a gamble with saver fare accepting that the cabin could be anywhere and hoping that I will be allocated My Time Dinning. Even if it isn't, there is a chance I can get it changed once on board. I do this if I am tempted by a cheap, last minute bargain holiday.

As others have said service charge is automatically added to your on board account but you can go to guest services to get it removed. They will give you a form to complete.

Hi...depends whether you think £30 is worth being able to choose your exact cabin number and choose your preferred dining arrangement instead of being given what is available.

So to quote the words of Mr Eastwood, "You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya".

I would never consider not choosing my cabin and the difference is often anything from £150 to £500 betweenSelect and Saver. Once you have taken into account OBC or free parking, it's usually better to go Select.

Hi B,

>Also we like to to tip who we want to - so is this tipping per day added to your account mandatory?

If you consider that the daily gratuity is a service charge that is divided amongst the entire crew, and that if you refuse to pay the SC what you give to anyone crew member is usually divided amongst the whole crew anyway, I think that you would pay the SC and give a few extra pounds for superior service.

Enjoy your voyage.

Ira

Hi B,

>Also we like to to tip who we want to - so is this tipping per day added to your account mandatory?

If you consider that the daily gratuity is a service charge that is divided amongst the entire crew, and that if you refuse to pay the SC what you give to anyone crew member is usually divided amongst the whole crew anyway, I think that you would pay the SC and give a few extra pounds for superior service.

Enjoy your voyage.

Ira

To be clear, the auto tips are only divided between the stewards and the waiters.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Hi Wow,

Thank you for the correction.

However, I found this at https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/gratuity

"Rewarding good service every time it happens isn’t always easy. So, our Service Reward Programme is a simple, one-off way for you to say ‘thank you’ for all the service you receive. A discretionary amount of £7.00 is added to your on-board account for each night you are onboard (eg. a 2 night cruise would be a total of £14pp, and a 7 night cruise would be a total of £49pp), for each guest aged 12 and over. This helps reward the waiters and buffet staff as well as your cabin steward or butler, who greatly appreciate your recognition of their hard work".

Ira

Edited by I_r_a