Check In Times - How strict is Carnival?

catscan89

Depends on the port. Long Beach has an Early Arrivals Line. They’ll let you in if and when there’s a lull.
That will probably change when the west coast gets a real cruise ship when the Panorama starts embarking.

Thanks, we are going to use.....My friend arrive before us and its their anniversary, card!
If you're dealing with a sympathetic soul, your lie might get you in. If you're dealing with an employee who enforces the rules, you'll get in at your pre-assigned check in time.

Do you come completely to a stop at every stop sign in the good ol USA? No rolling, no tire movement, a complete dead stop every time.

Dumb analogy, but yeah, I probably do. I do speed, though.
The rolling at a stop sign is not a good analogy because the stop sign only involves your car and it's passengers.

Breaking the rules on a cruise ship, whether it be checking in early, chair hogging, booze smuggling, balcony smoking, wearing improper suggested MDR wear or not parenting while your "little angels" run amok are all examples of things that effect other cruisers and that is why there is a line in the sand when these topics are discussed repeatedly on the boards between those that are on their vacation and can write their own rule book versus those that try to follow the rules the best that they can.

Anyone have experience with New Orleans? Earliest Check In is 12:30, do they actually use the time check in system? If so, do they have an early/late line?

Yes, they use the time check in system and when I cruised out they were strict with the times. Anyone early had to go to a line at the side of the building and wait. If you were late you just went in with whatever group was entering at the time.

Yes, they use the time check in system and when I cruised out they were strict with the times. Anyone early had to go to a line at the side of the building and wait. If you were late you just went in with whatever group was entering at the time.

Thanks for the heads up 12:30 it is then.

My wife and I are seasoned cruisers, however we haven't cruised in about 5 years. Check in times didn't exist then. I have seen were some are requesting early times then show up whenever they want, which seems to defeat the purpose of a scheduled time.

How strict are they now on these scheduled times. If I were to arrive at the port around the beginning of boarding time. Would I be told to wait, or is this merely a suggestion?

You will not be let in the building.

Depends on the port. In Charleston I've heard they will not let you in the terminal, even to park. We have always arrived at or after our check-in time so haven't experienced this first hand.

You will not be let in the building.

1) OP asked if they arrived at beginning of boarding time, not check-in time.

2) Not necessarily the case depends on Port. We left out of Miami 4 weeks ago. Arrived 45 minutes early, went to the Early/Late designed line, walked straight through security, then on to waiting area. Boarding group 4.

It depends on the situation at the terminal.

I always show up around the same time for the cruise.

In Miami I have seen them turn people away that were early and I have seen them let people right in. It all depends on what the crowd is like outside and inside. Galveston was strict no matter what the terminal was like. We showed up late there and the place was pretty much empty but they were still holding some people back.

Do not know if they have made a change, but i was able to get checkin time when i had mad final payment and did online checkin. I till am 90 days out and have a checkin time. Ihave never hada problem with checkin times and ma usually early. Know out of Charleston had some friend with 1pm checkin and they got on before me with 1130.

Check-in really depends on what port. I've used FTTF in all but Port Canaveral so I can't speak for other ports. Our checkin time started at 1:00 but we arrived to Port Canaveral at 11:15. We stood around, thinking we were not going to be allowed but heard some others talk about their checkin time and walk right in line. They passed through so we jumped in too. We were on the ship in under 30 minutes from that point.

We just got back from the Freedom out of Galveston this past weekend. We arrived at the terminal 20 minutes before our check in appointment time. We were placed in an early/late line. Had we shown up 20 minutes later, we would have put in the on time line which was considerably shorter. Either way it did not matter as we were through the line and sitting in our zone awaiting boarding at 11:35.

I wont comment on the stop sign because its not my alalogy but for your second question, see my post #39

Yes I see the points and understand. My point is that certain people on CC are very rude and attack anyone that suggests or comments about breaking a rule like smuggling. These same individuals make it out like they don't break any rules or laws. Its the hypocrisy that irritates me.

A pedestrian or other motorist has never been hurt by a vehicle rolling through a stop sign? How does smuggling affect other passengers?
For one, the smuggler could possibly get drunk and be disruptive towards other passengers. Smuggling also increases the costs involved by Carnival, which is then passed onto the consumer with higher cruise costs. They had to ban water bottles because of smugglers attempting to get vodka or other clear liquors onto the ship. It took man power to literally shake each bottle to prove it was water.

1) OP asked if they arrived at beginning of boarding time, not check-in time.

2) Not necessarily the case depends on Port. We left out of Miami 4 weeks ago. Arrived 45 minutes early, went to the Early/Late designed line, walked straight through security, then on to waiting area. Boarding group 4.

But, this isn't always going to happen. If there is a back up of people whi have arrived at designated check in times, those who are early are going to wait. Otherwise, what would be the point of check-in times? If you arrive early and there is a lull, of course they are going to tell you to go ahead. It's a crap shoot! and, Miami does follow the check in time rule.

Pat

Last cruise we took was out of NOLA. My check in time was 11:30. I made it thru parking and got to the terminal door at 11:10. There was no line or real crowd, so the guy let us thru early. NOLA is much more streamlined that it used to be. This fall we will be back on the Dream, which is our favorite ship so far.

Back to the issue at hand. Try to arrive on time. Nobody can perfectly time their arrival, especially on a shuttle, but my experience is that they DO enforce check-in time and that embarkation is significantly better overall since the new policy was instituted. We've done it twice and liked it both times.

Having gone through New Orleans 3 times, once was very strict, once was with faster to the fun, and one was more relaxed - but it was after 12:00 noon. We go again in September and have an alarm set on my phone for the opening of check-in time.

For one, the smuggler could possibly get drunk and be disruptive towards other passengers. Smuggling also increases the costs involved by Carnival, which is then passed onto the consumer with higher cruise costs. They had to ban water bottles because of smugglers attempting to get vodka or other clear liquors onto the ship. It took man power to literally shake each bottle to prove it was water.

First off that is not why they banned water bottles and whoever(even someone from Carnival) it is completely false. Second why is Beer and spirits being completely discriminated against by Wine? :D

First off that is not why they banned water bottles and whoever(even someone from Carnival) it is completely false. Second why is Beer and spirits being completely discriminated against by Wine? :D
Since you are supposedly the knower of all, please educate me as to why bottled water and soda were banned by Carnival. If they are in cans, they are legal to be brought on board. It is only the bottle variety that is not allowed. I also just realized that you don't know everything because if you did, then you would know why a 750 ml bottle of wine is allowed to be brought on and a bottle of liquor or a six pack of beer is not.

But, this isn't always going to happen. If there is a back up of people whi have arrived at designated check in times, those who are early are going to wait. Otherwise, what would be the point of check-in times? If you arrive early and there is a lull, of course they are going to tell you to go ahead. It's a crap shoot! and, Miami does follow the check in time rule.

Pat

Exactly, there are exceptions and if people want to gamble it's up to them.

When we arrived 45- 1 hour early there was nobody in any line. For us it worked. We followed Carnival's guidelines.

Carnival has specifically stated this so if you have evidence that shows its not true, I would love to see it. if its just your 'educated' position in your mind... I'll stick to the facts

"Bottled beverages are the most common means by which guests attempt to smuggle alcohol on board," said Carnival's statement. "When behavioral issues occur on board and are ultimately investigated, smuggled alcohol often appears to be a factor."

Does anyone know the earliest times you can choose from?

Has anyone went out of PC lately and how strict are they? Last year they was strict at all. I am just wondering this for this year thanks.