Just off the Summit - ask away

adonisr

Thanks for this response; hopefully we will be okay. If there was an all non-smoking ship, I would be very interested!

There was one by Carnival, it failed for a number of reasons however that was probably 15 to 20 years ago. They even went as far as insisting that no one smoke during all phases of construction. Numerous people were thrown off the ship just for possession of smoking materials.

Good. This way we are free to enjoy the sail away sights.

Now the only thing to worry about is returning to find my car covered with paint and dirt!:eek:

Definitely dirt. The week we went it rained all week, not sure if that's why there was no paint around, but the same ship was still in dry dock when we got back. I have not heard of any paint problems YET and Summit has been back since April 29th.

Definitely dirt. The week we went it rained all week, not sure if that's why there was no paint around, but the same ship was still in dry dock when we got back. I have not heard of any paint problems YET and Summit has been back since April 29th.

Let's hope there are no more paint problems. Actually, I believe the original lot, the one that was west of the old terminal, tucked in between the two buildings, was better. At least it was paved.

Hello!

Thanks for posting. We have several random questions:

1. Our info says boarding between 12 & 3. We have to check out by 10 so should we just show up early? Is there sitting area?

2. Do you suggest Lyft or Uber rather than a taxi to get to the port?

3. This is our first time cruising Celebrity. Like you, we have cruised several other lines.

a) My husband read that a LONG sleeved shirt is required for dining in the MDR. Is this strictly enforced?

b) If we have a little onboard credit can it be used towards gratuities or just purchases on the ship?

4. Can you recommend any excursions in Bermuda? I read there is snorkeling near where the ship docks. Island tours?

5. Do they serve lobster any nights? (enjoy the lobster on Carnival!)

6. We just booked a few days ago (departs in a week) so we ended up with 8:30 pm dining. Is it possible to change once on board? We NEVER eat that late.

7. How was the entertainment?

8. How are the activities? (We enjoy playing the bean bag toss on NCL and Carnival, also learning pickle ball.

That's it for now.

Thanks in advance for any tips or thoughts.

Beverly

Try and answer some of your questions. When you check out just go to the pier, terminal is very comfortable.

You can use Uber or Lyft. For great info on the port go to east Coast departure board and look up Cape Liberty 411 thread.

Long sleeve shirts are NOT required in the MDR.

On board credit s just a positive on your account, OBC can be used for almost anything and charges just come off.

The snorkeling area near the dockyards is not that great, I suggest going to one of the great beaches.

Lobster is served on the ship usually one night.

Entertainment is mediocre, shows at night, bands in some lounges.

Many activities on board, no pickleball.

Don, Are you sure about no pickleball? Someone on our upcoming cruise (6/17) thought the sportscourt converted to a pickleball court. Several cruisers are bringing paddles expecting to play.

Thanks,

Rob

Let's hope there are no more paint problems. Actually, I believe the original lot, the one that was west of the old terminal, tucked in between the two buildings, was better. At least it was paved.

The lot across from the terminal is the original lot. They only use the lot in between the two buildings in overflow situations. Last week they had car pulled trailers parked there. I can only repeat my caveat. With three ships in for the summer, you cannot count on a spot in the garage. You might get surface parking. As far as the paint, they learned their lesson. If there is any painting of ships at Bayonne Dry Dock, they cover the cars in the lot.

Try and answer some of your questions. When you check out just go to the pier, terminal is very comfortable.

You can use Uber or Lyft. For great info on the port go to east Coast departure board and look up Cape Liberty 411 thread.

Long sleeve shirts are NOT required in the MDR.

On board credit s just a positive on your account, OBC can be used for almost anything and charges just come off.

The snorkeling area near the dockyards is not that great, I suggest going to one of the great beaches.

Lobster is served on the ship usually one night.

Entertainment is mediocre, shows at night, bands in some lounges.

Many activities on board, no pickleball.

Thanks so much for your response. I'll take a look at that thread shortly.

Disappointing to hear that the entertainment is mediocre when this cruise line is a bit more expensive than others.... :(

We are looking forward to visiting Bermuda for the first time and the New England ports! :cool:

Take care,

Beverly

Don, Are you sure about no pickleball? Someone on our upcoming cruise (6/17) thought the sportscourt converted to a pickleball court. Several cruisers are bringing paddles expecting to play.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob,

I thought they said it was on or near the basketball court? I sure hope so! I just ordered 2 paddles to take some lessons onboard!

Let me know if you find out more because Steve and I are interested in playing (attempting) as we have only had a couple days of learning.

Thanks,

Beverly and Steve

Probably an unusual question but an issue I have a strange obsession about before every cruise, but did you find it hard to get a table in the Oceanview Cafe or chairs on the sun/pool decks on sea days? In other words, was it exceptionally crowded?

The lot across from the terminal is the original lot. They only use the lot in between the two buildings in overflow situations. Last week they had car pulled trailers parked there. I can only repeat my caveat. With three ships in for the summer, you cannot count on a spot in the garage. You might get surface parking. As far as the paint, they learned their lesson. If there is any painting of ships at Bayonne Dry Dock, they cover the cars in the lot.

We are sailing on the Summit. Other boards indicated that the deck is currently only used for the RCCL ships. The lot won't even be open for Summit Passengers. I'm expecting to park in the surface lot.

Hopefully, they did indeed, learn their lesson. That must be one mean spray gun to hit cars hundreds of feet away!

Thanks,

Rob

If they do it’s something new.

Hello!

Thanks for posting. We have several random questions:

1. Our info says boarding between 12 & 3. We have to check out by 10 so should we just show up early? Is there sitting area?

2. Do you suggest Lyft or Uber rather than a taxi to get to the port?

3. This is our first time cruising Celebrity. Like you, we have cruised several other lines.

a) My husband read that a LONG sleeved shirt is required for dining in the MDR. Is this strictly enforced?

b) If we have a little onboard credit can it be used towards gratuities or just purchases on the ship?

4. Can you recommend any excursions in Bermuda? I read there is snorkeling near where the ship docks. Island tours?

5. Do they serve lobster any nights? (enjoy the lobster on Carnival!)

6. We just booked a few days ago (departs in a week) so we ended up with 8:30 pm dining. Is it possible to change once on board? We NEVER eat that late.

7. How was the entertainment?

8. How are the activities? (We enjoy playing the bean bag toss on NCL and Carnival, also learning pickle ball.

That's it for now.

Thanks in advance for any tips or thoughts.

Beverly

1. Arrive early. The terminal is pretty big.

2. We used Uber. Less than $25 to get there from hotel next to EWR.

3. a. We ate in Blu, and I wore short sleeve golf shirts multiple nights. b. the OBC will be applied to your spending on board, regardless if its tips, etc.

4. We did our own exploring, so I can't recommend any tours.

5. The second "Chic" night was lobster night, and it was very good.

6. I'd heat straight to the Main Dining desk as soon as you board to see if they can change your time.

7. We thought the entertainment was good.

8. We enjoy sitting in the sun with a book, so we didn't check the activities.

Probably an unusual question but an issue I have a strange obsession about before every cruise, but did you find it hard to get a table in the Oceanview Cafe or chairs on the sun/pool decks on sea days? In other words, was it exceptionally crowded?

We did not have any problem finding a deck chair on sea days. A table in the Oceanview was hard to find during peak lunch times. We found it easier to eat lunch a little later and had no issues. Breakfast was pretty easy.

New question: does Summit's library have a "leave one, take one" section (i.e., leave a book, take a book)?

Celebrity libraries are based on the "honor system." There will be books with a Celebrity label indicating that they are owned by Celebrity and thus expected to be returned at the end of the cruise. And there will be books left by passengers to be shared with fellow passengers (i.e., leave one, take one). We always take several books to leave for others. It will be clear once onboard.

I was on Celebrity Summit 6-3 to 6-10.:p Did your sailing have a 60's performance in the theater?

I have all the dailies except friday [comedian] and saturday [the Frankie Vallie 60's group] and they played on saturday.

I know that the group name had something?? 60's in it.