ATMs in Baltic & SPG

Does anyone know if the ATM machines in the Baltic countries and SPG require a chip or will they work with cards without a chip?

All the ones that I have used required a chip - I have a chip & pin (not chip and signature). Don't know if they work without a chip - hopefully someone with experience will chime in.

ATMs in Europe actually do not require a chip. They do of course require a pin.I have recently used mine all over Europe. It is possible some banks might require it as I sometimes need to try a second machine but this was also the case well before chips were common. I have no recent experience in Russia, but you probably don't need to withdraw a significant amount of cash anyway.

Thanks for all your replies. While I have had no problem using ATMs in Europe without a chip the last few years, I obtained a new card with a chip at my bank today. Why take a risk.

Thanks for all your replies. While I have had no problem using ATMs in Europe without a chip the last few years, I obtained a new card with a chip at my bank today. Why take a risk.

I don't think any bank is issuing ATM or Credit Cards without a chip.

I don't think any bank is issuing ATM or Credit Cards without a chip.

A lot of American credit cards are still issued with Chip and sign rather than chip and PIN.

Bank cards obviously always have a PIN but since they don't expire many are probably carrying very old cards.

A chip and PIN credit card is very useful as is a contactless credit card. Several banks now issue these.

We have a Capitol One ATM card with a magnetic strip and no chip. We were in Scandinavia and Russia last year, and had no problems obtaining local currency. This year (March, April and May) we were in Eastern Europe, Austria and Germany and again had no problems obtaining local cash. Cap One will issue you on request an ATM card which can only be used to to obtain cash from an ATM from a checking account. It is not a debit card, so if it is compromised, your main checking account is not gutted.

We have a Capitol One ATM card with a magnetic strip and no chip. We were in Scandinavia and Russia last year, and had no problems obtaining local currency. This year (March, April and May) we were in Eastern Europe, Austria and Germany and again had no problems obtaining local cash. Cap One will issue you on request an ATM card which can only be used to to obtain cash from an ATM from a checking account. It is not a debit card, so if it is compromised, your main checking account is not gutted.

Isn't this very expensive using a credit card for cash advances rather than a bank card?

The main problem with credit cards without chip and pin is unmanned kiosks where you buy train and public transport tickets. Also some small vendors who have just a portable machine might not accept them.