Health Questionnaire

CatsareCool

Unfortunately some men and women PAXs don’t wash their hands after going to the loo. Then those kind of PAXs don’t or refuse to use hand sanitizer before going to the buffet. Picking up food with their hands, and fingers, or picking up serving tongs with their fillthy hands, and fingers.

Whatcha gonna do to stay healthy when you’re around them on a cruise ship? Call them out? Or report the offenders to food service staff?

As a start, I believe that the idea that it is okay to refuse to engage in personal hygiene during a cruise, or that it is okay to encourage sick passengers to leave their cabin and wander throughout the ship to infect others with noro virus --- should not be allowed here on Cruise Critic.

Cruise Critic messages that contain suggestions to disobey crew instructions, refuse to attend muster drill, disobey shipboard rules, or to behave in a manner that threatens the health of all passengers, should be reported

to the moderator so that they can be removed. '

In the upper right hand corner of the message, there is an "alert" icon that can be used to report the message.

The one thing I dislike most about cruising is having to sit or stand in line next to someone who has an awful cold or flu like symptoms and coughing repeatedly when they obviously shouldn’t be out of their cabin. Even worse is when someone is wondering around the buffet coughing. I’m no germaphobe but it’s a selfish act to mingle with others onboard when you sound like you are coughing up a lung. You are spreading your misery to others who have invested just as much money as you have in the voyage and done nothing to you.

If someone lies about their health on the form why don’t they at least stay in their cabin until they’re over the crud? It’s really sorry to ruin others vacation by being so disrespectful of others in this way. ]

Completely agree with you. The idea that norovirus infested passengers should be free to use the buffet, handle all the utensils and food and spread the norovirus through the ship is a socio-pathic idea, and CC messages like that should be reported to the moderator. So should messages that advise first-time cruisers to refuse to wash their hands or use the Purell stations at the dining venues.

Norovirus and flu infections spread quickly through a crowded ship, endangering both passengers and crew.

Right ! So you can just infect everyone else on board with whatever you have, because you have absolutely no empathy for other people. Who cares if everyone you come in contact with catches norovirus because you refuse to wash your hands or remain in your cabin until you're well? You have no reservations about spreading norovirus throughout the ship, as long as you can walk around with unwashed hands and touch everything in sight, because you are above the rule of law, and other people's well being makes no difference to you.

In some cases what you say may very well be correct but if you should just so much as question the medical department as to symptoms that had already occurred, they will immediately confine you to your cabin for a day or so.

Most people aren't going to run to medical with the first signs of not felling well.

I know if I should be quarantined and I'll be the one who decides when I should remove myself from roaming around the ship and it won't be for precautionary measures either.

Enjoy your next cruise.

In some cases what you say may very well be correct but if you should just so much as question the medical department as to symptoms that had already occurred, they will immediately confine you to your cabin for a day or so.

Most people aren't going to run to medical with the first signs of not felling well.

I know if I should be quarantined and I'll be the one who decides when I should remove myself from roaming around the ship and it won't be for precautionary measures either.

Enjoy your next cruise.

Interesting.

ON our last cruise security were posted outside someone's cabin and we thought they must be under house arrest for something serious but maybe the medical department had confined them.

Oh! That's interesting about Oceania. I guess Azamara serves food the first day or so until they're sure there isn't an outbreak.

Nope - just for the buffet. That probably would be a good idea too. And surprisingly, there's never too long of a line. There's 2 or 3 sinks and everyone just gets used to waiting for their turn. They have very rigid staff supervising the process.

Nope, on Oceania, not just the first day. It’s every day.

On Oceania, at the Terrace buffet, food service staff always serve you. It is not self-serve. You stand in line, point or tell the server what you want, servers put the food on your plate, and you continue to move down the buffet line until your plate is full. Even deserts/fruits PAXs are served. I reckon excellent food service is one of the benefits of sailing with a luxury cruise line. :)

Unlike Princess, where PAXs filfty hands and fingers handle the serving tongs. Have you ever been behind those kind of PAXs pick up food place the food on their plate, change their mind, and put the food back, or munch the food on their plate with their fingers, while still going down the buffet line, and then they pick up the next set of tongs? :eek: Now that’s pretty nasty. Especially if those kind of PAXs are coughing or sneezing. :mad:

Happy and healthy cruising.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Nope. You will follow the directions of the Medical Officer on board. You will NOT roam around the ship, infecting everyone like some kind of a Typhoid Mary. You will do as the Medical Officer directs, or else you will be involuntarily disembarked.

You are NOT above the directions of the Medical Officer, the Captain, or any other officer on board. Repeat - You are NOT above the law.

Edited by EastBay Cruisers

Nope. You will follow the directions of the Medical Officer on board. You will NOT roam around the ship, infecting everyone like some kind of a Typhoid Mary. You will do as the Medical Officer directs, or else you will be involuntarily disembarked.

You are NOT above the directions of the Medical Officer, the Captain, or any other officer on board. Repeat - You are NOT above the law.

I think you're losing track of the conversation.

Sure if you report that you have something to medical (even minor in some cases) they will confine you to your room.

What I said was, I will not report anything to them voluntarily unless I feel it's something that I consider worth reporting.

Doing anything else just might result in quarantine.

Sure if you report that you have something to medical (even minor in some cases) they will confine you to your room.

What I said was, I will not report anything to them voluntarily unless I feel it's something that I consider worth reporting.

Hence my comment about some being disrespectful of others by not staying in their cabin rather than spreading a sickness to others. Anyone who has spent any time on cruises can attest to the fact that not everyone considers their sickness to warrant staying in their cabin even when everyone around them knows they should.

The medical team insisting someone who is sick stay in their cabin is doing so for the good of everyone onboard. The average age of cruisers is much higher than the average popuplation and spreading a really nasty cold or perhaps the flu/norovious can cause very serious issues for many of them. Not to mention simply ruining others vacations.

Same people who refuse to attend muster drill, same people who ignore the regulations of one bottle of wine per person and try to smuggle alcohol, same people who use the toilet and refuse to wash their hands, same people who refused to fill out the health questionnaire when it used to be required, because they didn't care how many other people became sick by becoming in contact with them, same people who brag that they remove the auto gratuities from their account and refuse to tip the crew --- those same people will also refuse to wash their hands at the buffet, pick up food off the trays with their hands, examine the food, smell it, then put it back on the tray, same people who drop the serving utensils on the floor, then put them right back on the trays, -- those same people refuse to wash their hands or use the hand sanitizer.

Always the same group of people who believe they are superior and above the rule of law. :rolleyes:

I could have written that post, but the finger licking AFTER they've washed their hands and eating french fries while going through the buffet line always gets me. I do say something too. I always ask the person standing at the wash basin pointing people to wash their hands "what good does it do when people are licking their fingers then touching the serving spoons?"

This is why I bring my own self-medicating drugs and not use the infirmary. I have never been to the infirmary on any cruise. DH has been once and that was for a severe ear infection. He was not quarantined, only bummer was he couldn't drink alcohol. I've been on cruises though where Security sat outside a cabin door making sure the sick individual did not leave their cabin.

This is why I bring my own self-medicating drugs and not use the infirmary. I have never been to the infirmary on any cruise. DH has been once and that was for a severe ear infection. He was not quarantined, only bummer was he couldn't drink alcohol. I've been on cruises though where Security sat outside a cabin door making sure the sick individual did not leave their cabin.
I agree with you,we should all self medicate all minor conditions and be sensible if we have diarrhea.

Sometimes being too honest can lead to security keeping you locked in like a criminal and is not what I or most people would want after spending thousands of pounds on a cruise.

agreed - my wife brings a lot of "what-if" stuff - make you start, make you stop, on and on and on -we've used very little, but it's always there and within the expiration dates..

me, I "self-medicate" numerous times a day on a cruise...:cool:

agreed - my wife brings a lot of "what-if" stuff - make you start, make you stop, on and on and on -we've used very little, but it's always there and within the expiration dates..

me, I "self-medicate" numerous times a day on a cruise...:cool:

Cheers me too[emoji484] [emoji485] [emoji482] [emoji381]

I agree with you,we should all self medicate all minor conditions and be sensible if we have diarrhea.

Sometimes being too honest can lead to security keeping you locked in like a criminal and is not what I or most people would want after spending thousands of pounds on a cruise.

Even saying the word "diarrhea" and being over heard by someone in medical can result in being locked up for a few days.

No way would a cold keep me from roaming the ship and it's just unfortunate if someone else catches it. That's the price of cruising with thousands of people.

Why should I cut my vacation short just because I have the sniffles?

Not always. A member of our group had a heavy cold on check in - and declared it on the form. She was ‘invited’ to the medical centre to be asked a few questions and then cleared to enjoy her cruise.

Not always. A member of our group had a heavy cold on check in - and declared it on the form. She was ‘invited’ to the medical centre to be asked a few questions and then cleared to enjoy her cruise.

After the one bad experience with my wife a few years ago, I wouldn't take any chances.

Better nothing said than being locked up for a few days.

It's just like the old health forms that everyone lied about no matter how they were feeling.

:rolleyes:I wonder about all the coughing PAXs attending the performances in the Princess Theater.

So on my last Princess cruise, a PAX sitting next to me who was coughing turned to me and said “ never mind, it’s just “Cruisers Cough” and not contagious”.

What the heck is “Cruisers Cough”? Ever hear of that?

Should I have moved to another seat?

What would you have said or done?

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

After the one bad experience with my wife a few years ago, I wouldn't take any chances.

Better nothing said than being locked up for a few days.

It's just like the old health forms that everyone lied about no matter how they were feeling.

I agree.

I would keep a low profile for a few days to get better but would not risk being denied boarding or being locked in our cabin with security outside and being the talk of the ship by announcing to medical department that I was unwell.

I agree.

I would keep a low profile for a few days to get better but would not risk being denied boarding or being locked in our cabin with security outside and being the talk of the ship by announcing to medical department that I was unwell.

There was one advantage of being locked up (if you could call it that).

They served full menu's of everything in the DR. :D:D

:rolleyes:I wonder about all the coughing PAXs attending the performances in the Princess Theater.

So on my last Princess cruise, a PAX sitting next who was coughing turned to me and said “ never mind, it’s just “Cruisers Cough” and not contagious”.

Should I have moved to another seat? Would you?

King

That's always a big problem in the theater. You get there an hour early to get a good seat & someone sits close by that's sick, reeks of cigarette smoke or perfume.

What to do??

So on my last Princess cruise, a PAX sitting next to me who was coughing turned to me and said “ never mind, it’s just “Cruisers Cough” and not contagious”.

Should I have moved to another seat?

What would you have said or done?

King

A lot of people say the cabin Air conditioning causes the cough.

I get it almost every cruise after about 3 or 4 days. Usually lasts for several weeks after the end of the cruise. Not just on Princess, but also on other cruise lines.

I agree with the earlier poster who said it has something to do with the air in the cabin.

I get it almost every cruise after about 3 or 4 days. Usually lasts for several weeks after the end of the cruise. Not just on Princess, but also on other cruise lines.

I agree with the earlier poster who said it has something to do with the air in the cabin.

Yes, that make sense, having bad air in the cabin, and Cruiser Cough happens to me as well. Not a cold, the cough begins a couple of days into a cruise, then last for a couple of weeks after the cruise. Plus the bad air on airplane travel compounds the problem. :mad:

I was thinking, besides carrying a good supply of cough drops, maybe I should carry and use those kind of masks available at drugstores to cover my mouth if I develop Cruisers Cough on board. As a side benefit, it would protect me, and as a courtesy to my fellow PAX’s from catching airborne germs?

I saw a young woman on my last cruise who was in a wheel chair as a result of having Lyme disease (she wore a tee shirt saying that), who wore a mask to cover her mouth. I imagine because her immune system was compromised.

Happy and healthy cruising! :)

King