Royal Caribbean ruining our Spring Break in an unbelievable way!

I am Emerald with RCCL and obviously have cruised with them many times but am shocked at what they have done and how they are treating us. Since March we have been booked on a 7 night cruise out of San Juan departing next March (Spring Break 2019). We were just told the cruise was cancelled due to it being CHARTERED. I can see the need to cancel if there are maintenance or weather issues but to cancel it just to sell it to someone else is nothing short than OFFENSIVE. We placed a non refundable deposit and were committed to RCCL but clearly it is not committed to its customers.

RCCL offered $200 OBC and to put us on cruises for different dates but that does us absolutely no good because we can only travel that week due to spring break. And because it's spring break, everything has sky rocketed in price and there is very little availability. THANKS SO MUCH FOR RUINING OUR SPRING BREAK!! (sarcasm).

We are now now looking at booking on Norwegian and paying approximately $2,000 more for similar rooms. We may be able to find something cheaper on RCCL but I can't stomach giving them the extra money. As I mentioned we are emerald but will likely be taking our business somewhere else.

**Sorry about the typos in the title. I'm just really worked up. Anyone know how to edit the title? Thanks.

Edited by JAGCruiser17
Typos

I've never been involved in a charter "takeover", but I would be angry also if I didn't have any options unless I paid more.

I would probably take my refund money and go on a land vacation instead or I would wait until later in the year and see if another cruise with a better price becomes available.

I am Emerald with RCCL and obviously have cruised with them many times but am shocked at what they have done and how they are treating us. Since March we have been booked on a 7 night cruise out of San Juan departing next March (Spring Break 2019). We were just told the cruise was cancelled due to it being CHARTERED. I can see the need to cancel if there are maintenance or weather issues but to cancel it just to sell it to someone else is nothing short than OFFENSIVE. We placed a non refundable deposit and were committed to RCCL but clearly it is not committed to its customers.

RCCL offered $200 OBC and to put us on cruises for different dates but that does us absolutely no good because we can only travel that week due to spring break. And because it's spring break, everything has sky rocketed in price and there is very little availability. THANKS SO MUCH FOR RUINING OUR SPRING BREAK!! (sarcasm).

We are now now looking at booking on Norwegian and paying approximately $2,000 more for similar rooms. We may be able to find something cheaper on RCCL but I can't stomach giving them the extra money. As I mentioned we are emerald but will likely be taking our business somewhere else.

**Sorry about the typos in the title. I'm just really worked up. Anyone know how to edit the title? Thanks.

Sorry, it happens. You can go elsewhere but can happen there too

It sucks, but it happens in every line, it is what it is.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

It’s the “I am Emerald with RCCL” that’s giving them away.

That's awful. So sorry that happened since as you say, prices rise quickly when it's holiday time. What happens if you have flights booked already?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

That's awful. So sorry that happened since as you say, prices rise quickly when it's holiday time. What happens if you have flights booked already?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

They are willing to pay a change fee but no increase if it costs more to go somewhere else.

Of course I did. They can't keep the refund on a cruise that is no longer being offered - but that doesn't do me any good now. Thanks for the amazing insight though.

It's nice to have the facts, left out of post 1

Charters happen on every major cruise line. I would be very frustrated if it happened to me, but they refunded your money and offered additional OBC, which they're not obligated to do. Charters are very lucrative, and RCCL is a business, as is every other line. It's just a risk to consider with that kind of vacation. If that's the only week you can do this year, you might look into an all-inclusive land resort, there's a lot of really awesome ones in Jamaica or the other islands. Happy travels.

Of course I did. They can't keep the refund on a cruise that is no longer being offered - but that doesn't do me any good now. Thanks for the amazing insight though.

No you didn't. You said you had non-refundable deposits and Royal Gave you $200 OBC.

No mention of a refund.

Key details to leave out there... a little misleading.

No you didn't. You said you had non-refundable deposits and Royal Gave you $200 OBC.

No mention of a refund.

Key details to leave out there... a little misleading.

I meant of course i got the refund. That seemed obvious to me. I was referencing the non-refundable deposit just to show that we couldn't back out of it.

They have cruises on 3/3, 3/10, 3/17, and 3/31 on Freedom from San Juan. Is it not possible to change your date? It is still spring break ....

Alternately if your only date is 3/24 -then Allure sails to the Eastern Caribbean. Prices are very similar, insides from $766 OV from $797 and balcony from $882. Take the $200 they gave you and the price is great!

I understand your disappointment. When your heart is set on something it's upsetting. Royal seems to charter more than the other cruiselines.

There's been 3 threads in the past week or 2, here on CC about just thing ... I think ALL 3 are RCCL ... but it is pretty common.
I have had 3 cruises cancelled due to charters. Two on NCL and one on Carnival. It's disappointing but it is fairly common.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Freedom - March 24, 2019
Getting a cruise snatched out from under you sucks......happened to us twice.

You didn't need to mention the refund in post one. Most of us with common sense knew you will received your deposit back

Royal is a lot of things....but they aren't thieves.

Call Royal and ask to speak to "Resolutions" they handle the charters. See if they will give you a cabin price match on one of the cruises going out of Florida on the same date. Never hurts to ask.....

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk