Royal Caribbean ruining our Spring Break in an unbelievable way!

Was very necessary to save millions of jobs. The auto dealers as well as the banks all paid the money back
Taxpayers lost 11.2 billion dollars on the GM bailout. And a little over a billion on Chrysler.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

They have cruises on 3/3, 3/10, 3/17, and 3/31 on Freedom from San Juan. Is it not possible to change your date? It is still spring break ....

Alternately if your only date is 3/24 -then Allure sails to the Eastern Caribbean. Prices are very similar, insides from $766 OV from $797 and balcony from $882. Take the $200 they gave you and the price is great!

I understand your disappointment. When your heart is set on something it's upsetting. Royal seems to charter more than the other cruiselines.

When someone books a spring break cruise, it is usually to coincide with the dates family members are off of school or work. Selecting another random week in the spring is generally not an option.

I feel sorry for the OP.

M

Op is complaining about cruise being cancelled to them.

But the flip side is I've heard people complain and try to opt out of a cruise when they find a large specialty group has booked it, and rccl wont let them opt out. Their reason being certain areas of the ship might be off limits to them, or they just don't want to be on a ship with that group.

Cruise ships are international, and until there is a passenger bill of rights ( like they did with the airlines), we are at their mercy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I would rather have 50 cruises chartered a year than to have our government interfering in a private business. I really don't want to pay the same fares our friends in Europe pay.

Cruise ships are international, and until there is a passenger bill of rights ( like they did with the airlines), we are at their mercy

The Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights came out about 5 years ago.

I was supposed to go on INDY feb 23/2019 but it was chartered as well. choose this week because of college break for one son and my friend going with us for first time her daughter as well. now we had to change weeks my son decided to miss school for week but her daughter didn't want too and is now missing her first cruise.

Its not fair but it happens, little people like us won't make them the money.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with my boss the other day. He is going on a cruise with a large group (20-30ish) and told me that Royal "switched ships on them". I asked him if they booked through a travel agent but he said no. I didn't push it but my only idea is that maybe the original cruise got chartered and whoever is in charge of their group booking put them on another ship the same week.

We bailed out the car manufacturers and not the car dealerships. Car dealerships are independently owned (although many our owned by the same family/company)

It's usually a company for it's employees. I saw recently where a car dealership chartered a ship and all of the 'other' passengers were cancelled. Aren't we glad we bailed out car dealerships?

This happens on every cruise line. We ha e been offered OBC, our price protected weeks are 3/31 and 4/7. Also offering full refund if we decide to cancel. Along with those of us who already had flights booked they are offering to pay the flight change fees up to a certain amount.

I believe the OP is confined to this cruise because it’s when her children’s school has spring break. Certainly understand her frustration.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was booked on the same cruise for the same reason, it’s my daughters spring break. I had an aft corner balcony. There’s no way I’ll get one of those again this close to the sailing. We were going to the ABC islands, can’t do that from Florida on a 1 week cruise. I almost bought our airline tickets last weekend, I’m glad I didn’t do that. I’m not sure what we’re going to do, I’ve got a week to decide.

Who’s chartering a whole ship?

Cost must be astronomical.

Maybe find out who’s chartering it and asking to join them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually the charter is at a much higher price.

JC

I was booked on the same cruise for the same reason, it’s my daughters spring break. I had an aft corner balcony. There’s no way I’ll get one of those again this close to the sailing. We were going to the ABC islands, can’t do that from Florida on a 1 week cruise. I almost bought our airline tickets last weekend, I’m glad I didn’t do that. I’m not sure what we’re going to do, I’ve got a week to decide.
I had lost my corner aft too after a charter.

We moved to another cruise and after searching for available rooms daily.....we got lucky and someone dropped an aft just before final payment. Not the corner, but what are you gonna do. Royal writes the rules and we choose to play the game.

No matter how you cut it, it is always disappointing. Everyone who travels enough has had a fair amount of heartbreak and set backs.

Unfortunately, it is a business and RCI and all cruise lines have been making cutbacks and changes to further the bottom line lately. A charter is incredibly lucrative and hard to turn down.

http://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/full-ship-charter-faqs/

Likely at least $5,000,000 million to charter Freedom. That’s low end given it is spring break.

I truly sympathize with you as vacation changes are always disappointing, but if you travel enough you learn to adjust and be adaptable.

I keep hearing the same Argument over and over, Adjust... Be Adaptable...Be Flexible......Etc..

How about The Word.. NO :mad:

After a Certain Time Period The US Goverment ,Should Mandate thru the FTC or any other Agency... that Customers that had their Cruise Canceled because of Charters.. receive Proper compensation ....Period!!.....The Only thing to decide is When that date would come into effect.. and what would be considered proper comp...This should be in effect for All Cruise Company's sailing into or out of US ports..

Mike

Op is complaining about cruise being cancelled to them.

But the flip side is I've heard people complain and try to opt out of a cruise when they find a large specialty group has booked it, and rccl wont let them opt out. Their reason being certain areas of the ship might be off limits to them, or they just don't want to be on a ship with that group.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Cruise lines put people in tough spots when this happens. People might have been more than happy to book a different date right from the start had they known they'd be incompatible with some groups. I'm not sure any company reveals charter groups prior to booking?

We just went last March 2-11, 2018 on Navigator from Miami on a 9-night going to Labadee and the ABC's in AFT corner balcony #1388. Just fyi.

I keep hearing the same Argument over and over, Adjust... Be Adaptable...Be Flexible......Etc..

After a Certain Time Period The US Goverment ,Should Mandate thru the FTC or any other Agency... that Customers that had their Cruise Canceled because of Charters.. receive Proper compensation ....Period!!.....The Only thing to decide is When that date would come into effect.. and what would be considered proper comp...This should be in effect for All Cruise Company's sailing into or out of US ports..

Mike

Wow, I've never seen a post with BOLD, underlined, AND Random Caps before. Well done.

Mike

I do not believe hotels are put up to any standard that I am aware of. I know I've been overbooked at a hotel in the US before and they have scrambled to find me a room in a nearby hotel. Not sure what the rules are regarding that.

I know for a fact AI's in the Caribbean are definitely prone to overbook, and if overbooked they turf you to another resort. In that case you don't even have an option to reschedule or back out. You just arrive, find out there is no space, and suddenly your entire vacation changes.

Thank god the cruise lines AS FAR AS I KNOW, do not typically overbook and just turf a passenger to a different cruise line, ship or itinerary. Has this ever happened to anyone? I haven't seen any posts about it, but wouldn't doubt it.

We had this happen on a Celebrity Cruise for 2019. However, they did offer other cruises for the same approximate dates at the same price and bonus offers as our original booking, and they threw in some extra OBC. I think this is just one of those things that happens sometimes.

I've never heard of a cruise being cancelled due to a charter.

Happens all the time, your cruise contract allows that and more...all cruise lines have the same kind of contract. Basically they can do whatever serves the bottom line.

But no need to get incensed about something that happens to folks on every line at any time. And it's too early for airline reservations so no trouble with that. I'd say, just catch another cruise no matter what line and go have Spring Break fun.