St Thomas docking site

cole'snana

Just bear in mind that the harbour master could make a change depending on circumstances. When HAL was still using Crown Bay, one of our Noordam cruises was diverted at the last minute to Havensight. De[ending on port load, there is also the possibility that you'd be tendering.

Just bear in mind that the harbour master could make a change depending on circumstances. When HAL was still using Crown Bay, one of our Noordam cruises was diverted at the last minute to Havensight. De[ending on port load, there is also the possibility that you'd be tendering.

I was there in Jan and there was a smaller HAL ship docked in Crown Bay' date=' along with an X ship. There were only 2 ships at Havensight, so it wasn't like there wasn't space.[/quote]

If you are thinking of booking private shore excursions, just make sure that the company has a good fallback plan should your berth be changed. Because of the uncertainty, we tend to plan DIY excursions with lots of flexibility. Ship excursions, of course, remain a safe bet, although the timing might vary with a change in docking arrangements.

I was there in Jan and there was a smaller HAL ship docked in Crown Bay' date=' along with an X ship. There were only 2 ships at Havensight, so it wasn't like there wasn't space.[/quote']

It’s not about Haven sight lacking space. We once visited St Thomas on Caribbean Princess and were the only ship in port. Still docked in Crown Bay.

Cruiselines sign contracts with CB and must dock at least one ship there. Second can dock at HS. This is to develop CB more.

HAL and Princess signed docking contracts for CB years ago. There has to be an ' end date.' I think they might have been 1 5 year contract and should b e c lose to or have run out?

HAL and Princess signed docking contracts for CB years ago. There has to be an ' end date.' I think they might have been 1 5 year contract and should b e c lose to or have run out?

Yes, the contract with Crown Bay has expired, and HAL now uses Havensight. However, as several posters have pointed out, there are times when ships are redirected by the harbour master to the other facility.

Not sure about HAL, but Princess contract ended in 2016.

Havensight is a much nicer place to dock, IMHO.

I used to think so too. Harbor looks great. But unless you are planning to shop a lot ... it doesn’t really matter.

We got used to CB ... as we mostly go to Emerald beach lately. Some people even walk there from CB.

:(

I used to think so too. Harbor looks great. But unless you are planning to shop a lot ... it doesn’t really matter.

We got used to CB ... as we mostly go to Emerald beach lately. Some people even walk there from CB.

In the days when HAL docked at Havensight, my dh and I enjoyed t he walk to down town. We did not feel safe walking to down town from CB and we missed that enjoyable walk.

I miss Crown Bay. I know I’m in the minority, but we were not impressed with Havensight. We much prefer CB. Either way we’re taking a taxi to downtown, so that’s not a selling point for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

:(

In the days when HAL docked at Havensight, my dh and I enjoyed t he walk to down town. We did not feel safe walking to down town from CB and we missed that enjoyable walk.

We did walk from CB to downtown in ... 2009. Cannot recall any problems. Pretty open area.

People walk there and to the other side to Emerald beach.

We did walk from CB to downtown in ... 2009. Cannot recall any problems. Pretty open area.

People walk there and to the other side to Emerald beach.

for portions of the walk there are no sidwalks and that is a busy street where vehicles Travel fast Not safe to walk some portions in the street.

for portions of the walk there are no sidwalks and that is a busy street where vehicles Travel fast Not safe to walk some portions in the street.

When was the last time you walked or taxied from Crown Bay into Charlotte Amalie? I believe that there's sidewalk the whole way now.