Organization Ideas???

jmcancruise

Organization tips: I know once in a while someone mentions things they do to keep their room organized, but I would love all your ideas about where to find room for everything.

We are sailing in an inside room in September and know it will be tight, but expect to have about the same amount of storage as on past cruises. Our next cruise however we are considering The Horizon and know the room we are looking at only has two closets and one of those has the safe and drawers in it. Can't image where everything will go.

Ideas???

On Carnival we, more often than not, sail in inside cabins (2 adults, 2 kids). My wife usually kicks me and the kids out once the luggage arrives, and she unpacks into the closets and drawers. She then "nests" the suitcases and shoves them under the beds. Thirty minutes after we leave, the room looks pristine and organized. She knows where everything is. I don't, and I can't find anything -- she blames my Y chromosome for that.

One thing I know she does is pack hanging stuff on their hangers. She then just grabs the hangers , whips that pile out of the suitcase, and hangs it in the closet. She has a hanging toiletry case that hangs on the hook in the bathroom. We don't have one of the over-the-door shoe racks like a lot of people seem to like. We do fold up our dirty clothes neatly and put them in one suitcase -- which makes laundry easy when we get home. (Having laundry service with Platinum status is nice, too!)

It's actually an amazing thing to see; personally, I'd like to watch the transformation, but we aren't allowed to stick around!

We had one of those rooms with only 2 closets on our last cruise (hated it, by the way). That was the only time I have ever brought an over-the-door shoe rack, and it really came in handy. The "desk" was also much smaller in the room and there were no drawers. (You may or may not have the same experience). I also kept all dirty clothes under the bed, using the suitcases as hampers. We also have hanging toiletry bags, which help keep the clutter at a minimum. Take some magnets for papers and other light items.

Organization tips: I know once in a while someone mentions things they do to keep their room organized, but I would love all your ideas about where to find room for everything.

We are sailing in an inside room in September and know it will be tight, but expect to have about the same amount of storage as on past cruises. Our next cruise however we are considering The Horizon and know the room we are looking at only has two closets and one of those has the safe and drawers in it. Can't image where everything will go.

Ideas???

The obvious and snarky response is to just bring less stuff. And lesser response would be who cares if it is well organized?

I just put all my folded clothes in one big pile on the closet shelf, and socks, etc, heaped to the side of those. Hang up only the shirts I wear to "formal" night. That leaves plenty of hanging space for wet clothes, etc. Throw all dirty clothes on the bottom of any closet. That leaves the dresser top and drawers for all the miscellaneous stuff...sunscreen, camera, etc etc. All toiletries in the bathroom. Shoes line up parallel to the wall (not side by side like is the norm as how often to you step as close as the width of your shoe to the wall?). Yeah it does not look like a Better Homes and Garden room, but who cares? For me, part of being on vacation is not worrying about cleaning or keeping things neat.

On Carnival we, more often than not, sail in inside cabins (2 adults, 2 kids). My wife usually kicks me and the kids out once the luggage arrives, and she unpacks into the closets and drawers. She then "nests" the suitcases and shoves them under the beds. Thirty minutes after we leave, the room looks pristine and organized. She knows where everything is. I don't, and I can't find anything -- she blames my Y chromosome for that.

One thing I know she does is pack hanging stuff on their hangers. She then just grabs the hangers , whips that pile out of the suitcase, and hangs it in the closet. She has a hanging toiletry case that hangs on the hook in the bathroom. We don't have one of the over-the-door shoe racks like a lot of people seem to like. We do fold up our dirty clothes neatly and put them in one suitcase -- which makes laundry easy when we get home. (Having laundry service with Platinum status is nice, too!)

It's actually an amazing thing to see; personally, I'd like to watch the transformation, but we aren't allowed to stick around!

Ask if you can ‘be the fly on the wall’ and just sit on the bed, out of the way [emoji847]

How many of you will be in the cabin and what type of cabin do you have? Makes a huge difference.

The one thing we did for Alaska was get heavy magnetic hooks (Home Depot has them). We used them for our wet outerwear. That saved space from the closet.

We don’t bring much ‘what if’ clothing and condense our lotions and potions. We do laundry onboard. Bringing only a few pairs of shoes. Our CE clothes can be worn on other nights. Our only packing extravagance is our med kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My fiancee and I split the space. I take the drawers and put all of my clothes in there. My fiancee takes one of the closets and puts all of her stuff on the shelves in there. We then hang our elegant items and any hanging items in the remaining closet spaces. Dirty clothes go in a bag that goes under the bed in a suitcase.

Thanks for all of your responses. Hubby and I travel alone, so I know we don' face the challenges of a family, but I can' t relax in a mess. I am sure our room steward loves us because there is seldom anything out of place. Any more ideas would be great.

I bring the collapsible colored cubes, we each get a color (there are 3 of us) for loose items to keep them in one place on a closet shelf. You can easily take the cube out of the closet and go through it to find something, not much light in the closets. Keeps each persons stuff all together.

We keep our shoes in one of the suitcases under the bed, easy to pull out to grab shoes and then tuck away under bed, hate when everyone's shoes are all over the cabin.

Ziplock bags are my friend, especially in the bathroom, I put all my hair things in one, razors in another, anything that is smaller and can end up all over the counter.

Good topic.

1. We bring extra hangers and try to hang up most of our stuff

2. Suitcases under the bed

3. Dirty clothes in the empty suitcases

4. Bring less stuff since we’re Platinum and we get a bag of laundry per day

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for all of your responses. Hubby and I travel alone, so I know we don' face the challenges of a family, but I can' t relax in a mess. I am sure our room steward loves us because there is seldom anything out of place. Any more ideas would be great.

How much are you bringing? We have zero issue finding room for all our things when we each have a 20" roller and a backpack. We store the dirties in the suit cases under the bed and both have hanging toiletry bags.

Once I was traveling with 2 other ladies in an inside cabin. The shoe organizer hung on the hook on the bathroom door and was really handy- not just for bathroom stuff but for everything! We put stuff like camera & phone chargers in a pocket, spare sunglasses, hats and jewelry. It saved us from killing each other scrambling to find space for everything.

Plus one of the ladies brought a hanging bag that hooked over the shower head so we could store shampoo, bath wash, conditioners etc since there are no shelves in the shower itself.

We survived!

We use DIY magnetic hooks (super strong dot magnets on clothespins), much less expensive than the home improvement store ones. The clothespin makes it easy to hang clothing from even when we don't have a hanger. Also the clip style pin also allows us to take all of the papers, excursion tickets, and invites we tend to get and post them on the back of or next to the cabin door, easy to check/see what our next event is.

For our bathroom toiletries DH has a good old fashion kit bag that fits all his products so we leave it on the vanity. I use one of those mesh shower organisers, but hook it to the towel bar. To organise my makeup, skin care, and hair styling items I have a cloth organiser I bought at the dollar store (it's like a half sized travel jewelry organizer but the pockets are in the same material as the backing). That gets magnet clipped to the desk mirror. I have a second one I use to store all the electronic accessories like extra batteries, camera cards, back-up power supply for phones, charger, and wires. While the phone chargers do stay on the counter near the outlet the bag will get placed in the desk drawer.

Additionally we use the roll up packing bags, but not in the conventional way. I pack as much as possible on still on hangers in a garment bag with other necessities in a regular 22" upright, and a single rolling carry-on (for the 2 of us). I opt for the small and mediums ones, placing 1 between each set of clothing, I then use the bags for each day's dirty clothing, rolling the bag as small as I can and toss back into the luggage. This way I can on the last night put whatever we didn't wear of our clean "what-if" clothing in the garment bag, filling in the rest of the space and the 22" upright with the rolled up bags, shoes, and our toiletries. The carry-on will have our PJs from the last night, our valuables, and souvenirs.

Finally to get a less cluttered look to the cabin, those books and "magazines" that are always on the little table when you first enter the cabin we put on one of the closet shelves. Most of the time we stack our souvenirs on top of them to help us remember to put them back out on the last night.

Perhaps most people pack more than I do. My wife and I use, at most, a carry-on each to save money. I can pretty much make due with one closet. I hang a few items, but most things get folded on the shelves. My dress pants and dress shirt share the same hanger waiting for elegant night. We do a few re-wears on basic shorts and jeans. "Dirties" go back into the suitcase unless they get washed. I am not sure if this helps at all, but that is how I do it. :)

Invest in packing cubes. Not only are they great for keeping your suitcase organized they really helped us stay organized in our cabin. My mom was traveling was us and she opted out on buying some.... She regretted instantly.

Flying or driving to the port can make all the difference as to how many organizational thingies you bring due to weight and suitcase space. If I am blessed enough to be able to cruise out of a New England port (rarely), I definitely pack more but if I have to toss in the cost of airfare and checked baggage to a cruise, (usually) I definitely go lighter.