I wanna be first !

BoDidly

So what gives with this" I wanna be first mentality" ? You know you have noticed it when people jump the lines just to be first one at the buffet. Once while going to breakfast early one morning there was no one in the line so I decided to get a bite to eat .All of a sudden this lady jumps :Dver the guided rope to be in front of me. Ok , so she made it without breaking a hip . There are now two people in this line .

But still it left me curious as to what that was all about.

Leaves me to wonder if Carnival has gone to far by placing people on a Pedi stool with their multi colored cards, just to gain certain loyalty levels .

Your thoughts will help my curiosity ,I hope ? Tell us your story, who beat you to the line ;).

This behavior is a sure sign said passenger is WAY overdue for a vacation and waited too long to book a cruise. Actually taking the cruise will help alleviate this behavior by the end of said cruise, but the behavior is likely to return for the next cruise if one waits too long again to cruise. :p :p

Just got off a Princess cruise. Stepped back and was patiently waiting while the cook scooped the last of the old pan of pork fried rice into the new pan that he had just set in the steam table. A 4 foot nothing upper middle-aged Asian lady hit me about as hard as a linebacker from my HS football days and pushed her way past practically grabbing the serving spoon from the cook.

Had she been a guy, I would have decked him. No, not really, but I was stunned by how incredibly rude she was. I decided to hold my tongue and let it go. Life's too short.

On our last cruise there was a line of people waiting to get drinks. I was finally at the front of the line (with about 6 people waiting behind me) and reaching up to the dispenser when a little kid about 6-8 years old pushed my hand out of the way with a cup in hand to fill up. He said “excuse me” as he started to fill his cup. I gently pushed his hand away from the dispenser and put my cup underneath. I told him “just saying excuse me does not make it okay to barge through a line of people to get your drink.” I then told him he needed to get at the back of the line and wait his turn like everyone else. He ran off yelling to his mom that some mean lady wouldn’t let him get a drink. Everyone behind me laughed but thanked me on my standing up for us. I’m just not the type to stand there and be walked all over and not say anything.

There is some suggestion and support for the fact that it comes in part from modern technology. People become so used to getting answers to their questions or having instant access to others via text that they feel entitled. As a child, we had to catch Love Boat and Fantasy Island on Friday night or it was gone forever (until the VCR came along) - there was no "On Demand."

And no - it has nothing to do with whether you are Blue, Red, Gold, Platinum or Diamond as I have seen bad behavior from all.

I'll buy that! Instant this and instant that. Patience is becoming a virtue of the past.

On our last cruise there was a line of people waiting to get drinks. I was finally at the front of the line (with about 6 people waiting behind me) and reaching up to the dispenser when a little kid about 6-8 years old pushed my hand out of the way with a cup in hand to fill up. He said “excuse me” as he started to fill his cup. I gently pushed his hand away from the dispenser and put my cup underneath. I told him “just saying excuse me does not make it okay to barge through a line of people to get your drink.” I then told him he needed to get at the back of the line and wait his turn like everyone else. He ran off yelling to his mom that some mean lady wouldn’t let him get a drink. Everyone behind me laughed but thanked me on my standing up for us. I’m just not the type to stand there and be walked all over and not say anything.

You're my hero!!!!

This is something I'd probably say, only to have my DH either roll his eyes at me or scold me for 'making a scene'!

So what gives with this" I wanna be first mentality" ? You know you have noticed it when people jump the lines just to be first one at the buffet. Once while going to breakfast early one morning there was no one in the line so I decided to get a bite to eat .All of a sudden this lady jumps :Dver the guided rope to be in front of me. Ok , so she made it without breaking a hip . There are now two people in this line .

Leaves me to wonder if Carnival has gone to far by placing people on a Pedi stool with their multi colored cards, just to gain certain loyalty levels .

Your thoughts will help my curiosity ,I hope ? Tell us your story, who beat you to the line ;).

On RCCL recently overheard a group telling a family seats at the front seats at cafe promenade are was reserved for STAR and suite guests so the family would not sit there! So the entitlements are a common denominator of rudeness across all lines (and yes, I did go and sit at one of the tables they were guarding and after a minute said “what a terrible location right in everyone’s path” and I got up and left).

You're my hero!!!!

This is something I'd probably say, only to have my DH either roll his eyes at me or scold me for 'making a scene'!

I see our DH’s are alike. Mine would have rolled his eyes too. Good thing he wasn’t there because it wouldn’t have deterred me. But that child needed to understand he couldn’t break rules like that. And I just hate it when a younger person is disrespectful to adults. I was taught to say please and thank you and to be courteous to those older than me. My girls hold open doors for the adults, let them into the elevator first, and speak respectfully to them, just as I was taught to do.

Because she learned early in the cruise if she doesnt move she will not get INSIDE the elevator. We had people step OVER my dad in a scooter to hurry in to the elevator- to go UP one floor. that was hysterical. I just could not imagine the importance of doing that.,

Sorry no, she would move from the farthest elevator if necessary instead of waiting where she was and that elevator. Had NO patience whatsoever and witnessed it more than once.

She was already first or second in line at a particular elevator. No need to rationalize her behavior.

I do agree many pax lose all manners on vacation though.

Sorry no, she would move from the farthest elevator if necessary instead of waiting where she was and that elevator. Had NO patience whatsoever and witnessed it more than once.

She was already first or second in line at a particular elevator. No need to rationalize her behavior.

I do agree many pax lose all manners on vacation though.

You're assuming they have them otherwise. That's a pretty big assumption.

Basically I don't care what anybody says. If I am at an elevator waiting for one and there is a scooter there also waiting. I will physically stop people from getting on that elevator until the scooter has boarded. They are truly the ONLY ones that are exempt from walking up stairs. I've seen it to many times watching all these people just break their legs trying to get to the elevator before a scooter. Total nonsense, I can understand and have seen scooter accidently bump people on there way through. But I have also seen ignorant people see scooters and continue to stand there knowing there's no where for that scooter to go. I remember on my last cruise they were having their last day sale on t-shirts and all. First of all that's a madhouse, if your want to see rude people just stand on the wall and watch that madness. Anyways I was walking through there and their was this humongous line to pay for their items. I moved over into the line to get out of the way for a scooter to pass by in there. OMG thought I was going to have to slap somebody that kept running their mouth. you can't cut, you can't cut, when all I was doing was getting out of the way so the scooter could go by. They sure wasn't about to scoot over. I was hot and let that woman know exactly what I thought about her and this situation. You see disrespect for people wherever you go nowadays!!!

• Like 1

Basically I don't care what anybody says. If I am at an elevator waiting for one and there is a scooter there also waiting. I will physically stop people from getting on that elevator until the scooter has boarded. They are truly the ONLY ones that are exempt from walking up stairs. I've seen it to many times watching all these people just break their legs trying to get to the elevator before a scooter. Total nonsense, I can understand and have seen scooter accidently bump people on there way through. But I have also seen ignorant people see scooters and continue to stand there knowing there's no where for that scooter to go. I remember on my last cruise they were having their last day sale on t-shirts and all. First of all that's a madhouse, if your want to see rude people just stand on the wall and watch that madness. Anyways I was walking through there and their was this humongous line to pay for their items. I moved over into the line to get out of the way for a scooter to pass by in there. OMG thought I was going to have to slap somebody that kept running their mouth. you can't cut, you can't cut, when all I was doing was getting out of the way so the scooter could go by. They sure wasn't about to scoot over. I was hot and let that woman know exactly what I thought about her and this situation. You see disrespect for people wherever you go nowadays!!!

I understand your reasoning, but just because someone is in a scooter doesn't necessarily mean they are the only ones who need the elevator. Plenty of people have mobility issues or pain that you can't see but they elect to use their legs anyway. This doesn't mean they can handle the stairs.

Anyway, I'm sure alcohol and lack of manners go hand in hand too. Whatever the issue, i don't think it's as big of an issue as people make it out to be. With the exception of busy times, like embarkation, debarkation, big shows/entertainment...there's usually barely a line at all for the elevator in my experience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I understand your reasoning, but just because someone is in a scooter doesn't necessarily mean they are the only ones who need the elevator. Plenty of people have mobility issues or pain that you can't see but they elect to use their legs anyway. This doesn't mean they can handle the stairs.

Anyway, I'm sure alcohol and lack of manners go hand in hand too. Whatever the issue, i don't think it's as big of an issue as people make it out to be. With the exception of busy times, like embarkation, debarkation, big shows/entertainment...there's usually barely a line at all for the elevator in my experience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've stood outside those elevators for 5 or 6 rounds as others zip right past the person with mobility issues and fill up the elevator leaving no room for a walker or scooter. Some say sorry, for most it doesn't even register on their radar that they just took the last space that someone else had been waiting on, but just couldn't reach the elevator as fast as them.

And that person who has mobility issues but doesn't use any assistance, they'll fit easier on the next elevator.

I can't tell you how many times when going back to room with my mother in law, there will be a group of adults or teens 4 wide in the hallway walking very slowly. They see my MIL in scooter and me wanting to pass yet they walk as slow as a slug 4 wide. Thats when I tell MIL time for some scooter Bowling. If your dumb enough to walk 4 wide and block people instead of single file get ready to get the scooter right up your***

• Like 1

I see our DH’s are alike. Mine would have rolled his eyes too. Good thing he wasn’t there because it wouldn’t have deterred me. But that child needed to understand he couldn’t break rules like that. And I just hate it when a younger person is disrespectful to adults. I was taught to say please and thank you and to be courteous to those older than me. My girls hold open doors for the adults, let them into the elevator first, and speak respectfully to them, just as I was taught to do.

Yup. Definitely my hero!

As bad as it is, it is nowhere near as bad is overseas. We were stationed in Germany for 3 years and you literally have no lines, everyone just pushes their way to front and do not care. You have to be loud and rude to get served anywhere, at stores or food establishments. Not just Germany, it was every country we visited. Push and shove your way to front then wave hands like a maniac to get servers attention. In the military it is always a discussion about how people act overseas in that regard, seems to be the rule everywhere. I am not bashing them, just saying it is the way it is done overseas. So ... we always just let people go ahead of us and rarely say anything on the cruise ship, it is far worse elsewhere!

Well this totally explains our worst "me first" experience, my husband and I standing in line ordering omelets and this older blonde woman literally pushes in between us and pushes us each to the side and screams at the server "Crispy bacon NOW!!" I thought my husband would have a stroke he was so mad, he turned totally red and started telling the woman off. She was european and I thought by the accent probably German. She said "UGH, and waved him off" it was awfully rude and obnoxious

On a NCL cruise we booked a private beach excursion. There was a section of shaded, hanging lounger beds and my husband and I figured we would walk towards the end and grab one. As we approached the end a "lady" several feet behind us threw her expensive looking camera on the bed we were going to take. We figured if it was worth it to her to risk an expensive piece of equipment we would keep on moving - and found a quieter section of beach with hammocks in the water so our day was still good:hearteyes::cool:

• 7 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:49 PM, pacruise804 said:

On a NCL cruise we booked a private beach excursion. There was a section of shaded, hanging lounger beds and my husband and I figured we would walk towards the end and grab one. As we approached the end a "lady" several feet behind us threw her expensive looking camera on the bed we were going to take. We figured if it was worth it to her to risk an expensive piece of equipment we would keep on moving - and found a quieter section of beach with hammocks in the water so our day was still good:hearteyes::cool:

I once had a fellow hop scotch to chairs just to get to the chair I was reaching for at HMC . Funny thing was he damn near broke is neck trying to get there first....👀

On 6/10/2018 at 10:26 AM, beerman2 said:

Boy that's a million $$$$$$ question, there are no answers for the "me first mentality" or lack of respect for others.

Last cruise on Vista there was a lady in a scooter who damn near ran over people to be first on Elevators. More than 1 person commented about her after the cruise.

In that lady's defense, if she didn't do that, others would have went around her and she never would have gotten on.  

On one of our cruises to Cozumel, my sister in law just had foot surgery and was in a wheel chair.  Coming back on the ship, we made our way to the elevators.  When we got to the front and the next elevator came down, before we could push her in, everybody crowded their way around us and filled the elevator.  That happened four or five times before her granddaughter screamed out in extremely foul language that the next person that pushed their way around us was going to have hell to pay along with some other choice words.  You'd be amazed at how rude people can be around handicapped people.  By the way, we got on the next elevator!

• Like 2

On 6/12/2018 at 7:50 PM, repo-cruiser said:

I can't tell you how many times when going back to room with my mother in law, there will be a group of adults or teens 4 wide in the hallway walking very slowly. They see my MIL in scooter and me wanting to pass yet they walk as slow as a slug 4 wide. Thats when I tell MIL time for some scooter Bowling. If your dumb enough to walk 4 wide and block people instead of single file get ready to get the scooter right up your***

Thank you for my morning laugh!

1 hour ago, RWolver672 said:

In that lady's defense, if she didn't do that, others would have went around her and she never would have gotten on.  

On one of our cruises to Cozumel, my sister in law just had foot surgery and was in a wheel chair.  Coming back on the ship, we made our way to the elevators.  When we got to the front and the next elevator came down, before we could push her in, everybody crowded their way around us and filled the elevator.  That happened four or five times before her granddaughter screamed out in extremely foul language that the next person that pushed their way around us was going to have hell to pay along with some other choice words.  You'd be amazed at how rude people can be around handicapped people.  By the way, we got on the next elevator!

That may not necessarily be the case unless they were part of the me to mentality. I was taught better to respect others. That lady on our cruise was hell bent on getting on. 

She was already at the front of the elevator doors to get on. So she was able to get on.

She damn near hit a person trying to get off instead of being patient for people to move out of the way.

I was there, you weren’t.