I wanna be first !

BoDidly

So what gives with this" I wanna be first mentality" ? You know you have noticed it when people jump the lines just to be first one at the buffet. Once while going to breakfast early one morning there was no one in the line so I decided to get a bite to eat .All of a sudden this lady jumps :Dver the guided rope to be in front of me. Ok , so she made it without breaking a hip . There are now two people in this line .

But still it left me curious as to what that was all about.

Leaves me to wonder if Carnival has gone to far by placing people on a Pedi stool with their multi colored cards, just to gain certain loyalty levels .

Your thoughts will help my curiosity ,I hope ? Tell us your story, who beat you to the line ;).

It's like defensive driving but at a buffet, some people are used to having to fight their way to the food at Golden Corral so those instincts kick in when on the ship as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Boy that's a million $$$$$$ question, there are no answers for the "me first mentality" or lack of respect for others.

Last cruise on Vista there was a lady in a scooter who damn near ran over people to be first on Elevators. More than 1 person commented about her after the cruise.

• Like 1

Boy that's a million $$$$$$ question, there are no answers for the "me first mentality" or lack of respect for others.

Last cruise on Vista there was a lady in a scooter who damn near ran over people to be first on Elevators. More than 1 person commented about her after the cruise.

That's like the parents on the Disney Cruises who use their strollers like a battering ram!

That's like the parents on the Disney Cruises who use their strollers like a battering ram!

Exactly, I know the need for scooters/strollers however be conscious of your surroundings.

Pretty sure most of us would let then in or by. It's common sense, something lacking nowadays.

• Like 1

As bad as it is, it is nowhere near as bad is overseas. We were stationed in Germany for 3 years and you literally have no lines, everyone just pushes their way to front and do not care. You have to be loud and rude to get served anywhere, at stores or food establishments. Not just Germany, it was every country we visited. Push and shove your way to front then wave hands like a maniac to get servers attention. In the military it is always a discussion about how people act overseas in that regard, seems to be the rule everywhere. I am not bashing them, just saying it is the way it is done overseas. So ... we always just let people go ahead of us and rarely say anything on the cruise ship, it is far worse elsewhere!

Exactly, I know the need for scooters/strollers however be conscious of your surroundings.

Pretty sure most of us would let then in or by. It's common sense, something lacking nowadays.

It is lacking. And yes, I understand that some with scooters are pushy BUT I experienced what a problem elevators can be for someone mobility challenged. I waited at the elevators with a new scooter-bound acquaintance on a HAL cruise. It took 4 arrivals before we could finally get on without running over folks who pushed ahead of us even though we'd been there obviously waiting when they arrived in the elevator lobby. We would wait for those onboard to exit but before we could enter the elevator filled.

I guess there can be 2 sides to the story. :(

• Like 1

I cant count the times I have explained to people " wait till they get off the elevator before you get on the elevator ".

I remember teaching that to my kid when he was 5. Shame that you still have to do that with grown folks. They should know better.

• Like 1

Had a woman about my age (50-ish!) stroll up to the buffet with a line up of a dozen people and cut in wherever she wanted something.... now I've asked occasionally if I could peak at the buffet items between 2 people just to see if it's something I want to wait for, but I always respectfully step out after and get in line... this entitled lady would just push between people, grab the tongs and help herself, then move on down the line, doing this over and over again.

Finally one guy near the front stepped in front of her just as she tried it again and said 'what the heck, lady? Did you pay more for your cruise than the rest of us waiting did?'

She totally proved her class (or lack thereof) by swearing at him and bumping into him hard enough to make him step back as she huffed away with her full plate!

We all commented that he was nicer than most of us! She'd have been wearing her plate if she tried that stunt with me!

Had a woman about my age (50-ish!) stroll up to the buffet with a line up of a dozen people and cut in wherever she wanted something.... now I've asked occasionally if I could peak at the buffet items between 2 people just to see if it's something I want to wait for, but I always respectfully step out after and get in line... this entitled lady would just push between people, grab the tongs and help herself, then move on down the line, doing this over and over again.

Finally one guy near the front stepped in front of her just as she tried it again and said 'what the heck, lady? Did you pay more for your cruise than the rest of us waiting did?'

She totally proved her class (or lack thereof) by swearing at him and bumping into him hard enough to make him step back as she huffed away with her full plate!

We all commented that he was nicer than most of us! She'd have been wearing her plate if she tried that stunt with me!

Oh boy that would have been hard for me not to bump her right back on her hiney. Geez when we were at Disney people would try to cut lines. Drives me insane! Our McDonald’s is the worst because the line splits to go to different speakers to order at the front of the line. People try to skip the line and get in front. Seriously people we all NEED a dollar crappy cheeseburger too! Why cut in line ? See we are all waiting it turn? Why must you be a giant jerk? Ugh now I find out it’s gonna happen on the cruise also? Geeez come on people have some respect

There is some suggestion and support for the fact that it comes in part from modern technology. People become so used to getting answers to their questions or having instant access to others via text that they feel entitled. As a child, we had to catch Love Boat and Fantasy Island on Friday night or it was gone forever (until the VCR came along) - there was no "On Demand."

And no - it has nothing to do with whether you are Blue, Red, Gold, Platinum or Diamond as I have seen bad behavior from all.

Scooter people can be the worst

• Like 1

Years ago, I worked with a guy whose favorite saying was "You can't be first, but you can be next." I know that was in reference to something else, but it could easily be applicable to rude pushy people on the ship. ;)

Leaves me to wonder if Carnival has gone to far by placing people on a Pedi stool with their multi colored cards, just to gain certain loyalty levels .

What does the color of her card have to do with jumping the line??? Sounds like she was just being rude.

What does the color of her card have to do with jumping the line??? Sounds like she was just being rude.

Well she had a white card hanging around her neck , perhaps she thought that allowed her to be first?

There is some suggestion and support for the fact that it comes in part from modern technology. People become so used to getting answers to their questions or having instant access to others via text that they feel entitled. As a child, we had to catch Love Boat and Fantasy Island on Friday night or it was gone forever (until the VCR came along) - there was no "On Demand."

The crossover nights were the best.

I cant count the times I have explained to people " wait till they get off the elevator before you get on the elevator ".

Hahaha! My kids even know this! (They also know to wait for the bowler next to them before they bowl, and to yield when coming to the end of a grocery store aisle...)

Maybe you should try an English Cruise line (Although P&O belongs to the Carnival group) It's like "After you", "No please, you go first", "No really, it's fine" (Probably while internally fuming, but anything to save face!) . . . . . .Me: "Will someone just please GO ALREADY!!!!"

I remember a recent Carnival cruise (maybe a year ago) and I did rush forward to get in line ahead of a woman and her small children. I even felt guilty as a sped up to slide in at the plates right before her. Sure enough, she took her time helping the kids choose their food. There's nothing wrong with that, but the line lengthened behind her and I was seated before she was finished getting her kids organized. I guess I just didn't have patience that morning and wanted to get my oatmeal on.

I've done this at quick service restaurants at home when I see a big family on their way in. I speed walk to the door so I can get in first because I always know exactly what I want and get in and out within a few minutes. When I get stuck behind a group like this it takes forever. I haven't experienced this problem on ships though probably because I only cruise when kids are in school.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maybe you should try an English Cruise line (Although P&O belongs to the Carnival group) It's like "After you", "No please, you go first", "No really, it's fine" (Probably while internally fuming, but anything to save face!) . . . . . .Me: "Will someone just please GO ALREADY!!!!"

My grandfather used to say the queue was invented in England. Only in Britain you can have a riot and an orderly queue to loot the shops! :')

Because she learned early in the cruise if she doesnt move she will not get INSIDE the elevator. We had people step OVER my dad in a scooter to hurry in to the elevator- to go UP one floor. that was hysterical. I just could not imagine the importance of doing that.,