Three Nickles take on the British Isles. And a little bit of France.

bnickle

I enjoyed our day at Guernsey last summer. Saint Peter Port was a walkable town for us. We enjoyed going up to the Candie Gardens and Victoria Tower. We then toured Castle Cornet.

I enjoyed it. I was caught up in the whole Geurnsey Literary Society thing. I loved the book and it made me curious about that particular history so I read up on it. I really thought the Castle Coronet was well preserved and presented. For some reason it just wasn’t Greg’s cup of tea.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was last at F&M in 2013, and I agree! They seem to be relying on their historic reputation and not worrying too much about the quality of their product.🤨

We loved tea in Greenwich, and we took tea in Canterbury at a Tearoom called Tiny Tim’s and the scones were fabulous. In Edinborough, we really liked the scones at Clarinda’s Tearoom, and the rest of the offerings looked dazzling.

We chose the general itinerary, then the date. The date was trickier to work with because two of our party of three work full time. We really wanted Liverpool, and I wanted it to be earlier in the season rather than later. I looked into the Royal before committing, and it suited our purposes. ..

Having said that, I’m eyeing a few itinerary ideas over the next few years (retirement is looming) and it’s going to be about where we want to go. Having sailed on three different lines in the last 8 years we have a good idea of what to expect from each cruiseline, and can plan accordingly.

Thank you very much for your thoughtful response. I honestly hadn’t even considered Princess before this. Also, you are responsible for me renewing my library card! I just put a hold on the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. Any similar book ideas for Madrid/ Spain perhaps?

Then I did it right, because I wanted to let you know that more than anything else, it was fun! I hope if you’re planning a cruise soon you were able to take something away from what you read. So much of my own planning for our trip was aided immeasurably by the reports and info shared by others.

We are on our first Princess cruise in August to the North Cape. Have taken a few of your ideas on board. :D

Thank you very much for your thoughtful response. I honestly hadn’t even considered Princess before this. Also, you are responsible for me renewing my library card! I just put a hold on the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. Any similar book ideas for Madrid/ Spain perhaps?

First of all, as a retired librarian, YAY! Also, I truly hope you share with me your thoughts on Geurnsey Literary Society, like or dislike. It was a very different read than what I was expecting, in a good way.

Second, I did a little research and here are links to some travel related book ideas, both fiction and non-fiction. Some look really interesting. Others are titles I know I should read, because they have importance in the evolution of literature, but honestly I just can’t with Hemingway. Anyhoo, here’s some reading inspiration:

https://www.goodreads.com/places/1759-madrid

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/10391.Novels_Inspired_by_the_Spanish_Civil_War

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/110475.Novels_set_in_Barcelona_Seville_and_Madrid

I enjoyed it. I was caught up in the whole Geurnsey Literary Society thing. I loved the book and it made me curious about that particular history so I read up on it. I really thought the Castle Coronet was well preserved and presented. For some reason it just wasn’t Greg’s cup of tea.

I loved that book and was SO happy that we made it into Guernsey! We walked to the German Occupation museum and tunnels, lots of very interesting memorabilia. Then on the way back We stopped at a little stand selling Ice cream made from Guernsey milk cows. Yum! Fabulous day!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We just did our own thing in Guernsey also. A cute little town and really overran with tourists,with us and the queen victoria,both tendering. Ice cream was good.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Forums mobile app

It is a lovely town. I would have liked to have toured Victor Hugo’s Home. Are you on the cruise right now?

No we were on your cruise, sorry I didn't make it to the Meet and Greet, we had 5:30 dinner and it was close after the muster drill. Thanks for your review it brought back some wonderful memories. I was just telling my husband that it was a week today since what I call the day from hell what with the airports and all the waiting in line for passport control and handling the luggage. Guess we're getting too old for heavy traveling. But it was a great itinerary, that we had actually done most of back in 2004, such beautiful countries.

No we were on your cruise, sorry I didn't make it to the Meet and Greet, we had 5:30 dinner and it was close after the muster drill. Thanks for your review it brought back some wonderful memories. I was just telling my husband that it was a week today since what I call the day from hell what with the airports and all the waiting in line for passport control and handling the luggage. Guess we're getting too old for heavy traveling. But it was a great itinerary, that we had actually done most of back in 2004, such beautiful countries.

Ahhhhh! I am so glad you have a wonderful time! Except for waiting in line at the airport stuff.

First of all, as a retired librarian, YAY! Also, I truly hope you share with me your thoughts on Geurnsey Literary Society, like or dislike. It was a very different read than what I was expecting, in a good way.

Second, I did a little research and here are links to some travel related book ideas, both fiction and non-fiction. Some look really interesting. Others are titles I know I should read, because they have importance in the evolution of literature, but honestly I just can’t with Hemingway. Anyhoo, here’s some reading inspiration:

https://www.goodreads.com/places/1759-madrid

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/10391.Novels_Inspired_by_the_Spanish_Civil_War

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/110475.Novels_set_in_Barcelona_Seville_and_Madrid

I loved The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Great storytelling through the letters - and very different style of writing! Plus, what a great ending!!

Another wonderful read for those of us that love to cruise is The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain.

Thank you for the review/info. I booked the cruise for the end of summer. A little different itinerary. Hope the weather cooperates. I laughed that you hate the buffet, it’s my favorite thing! I can’t decide whether to do the west coast of Ireland or London pre-cruise. Been to London a few times.

Thank you again for all the info.

Sungirl😁

Thank you for the review/info. I booked the cruise for the end of summer. A little different itinerary. Hope the weather cooperates. I laughed that you hate the buffet, it’s my favorite thing! I can’t decide whether to do the west coast of Ireland or London pre-cruise. Been to London a few times.
I can't believe you're going to be disembarking as we're getting on. A lot of folks on our roll call are sailing with you. We're staying in London for five nights before our cruise plus one in Southampton.

OMG Geoherb! We almost cruised together. So disappointed. My ship leaves Aug. 29.

We did this cruise on June 6, loved it. Geoherb, I read your review from last year and it helped me plan.

I think we all need a reunion!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

England - Guernsey

It’s a busy small village, cheerful and welcoming. St. Peter Port has a rich and vibrant history and their heritage is presented proudly through various spots around town. Wikipedia these islands, especially if you love WWII studies. These islands were German occupied for five years during WWII, and the spirit and bravery of the citizens here lifted them out of this despair to the welcoming charm that you see now. One short block over from Albert is, appropriately, Victoria, and you will pass her as you head to the Castle Coronet. Walk through a parking lot and up some stone steps to gain access to a walkway along a breakway that leads to the Castle. The views are lovely, and fishing tugs and sail boats dot the horizon.

The Castle opens at 10:00, and is £10.50 per person. That gets you into the entire grounds, which consist of several small carefully maintained rooms, and three very nice museums. Walk all the way to the top and you will have a truly gorgeous 360 degree view of the area. I couldn’t walk up to the top with my knee problem, and accessibility is not easy for anyone with difficulties. The gift shop is very nice, and it should be noted that the Castle grounds were very well marked so that it was easy to follow a pathway and to see it all.

Please take our recommendation on this with a big grain of salt; we’re a history family and heading to a moldy ancient castle is a huge highlight for us. We had prepped by reading up on Guernsey and it’s long and rich heritage, and it is fascinating. The fiction book, Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was very well written and I am glad I read it just before visiting.

We at lunch at a lovely small bistro called Dix Neuf, right downtown, and it was overrun with cruise tourists. While the wait staff looked harried they were patient and the food was really good. We had a nice ale with our sandwiches and it was very enjoyable. We decided to head back to the ship; my knee was kind of snarky, and Kate, our birthday girl, had a massage scheduled for 3:00.

Tendering back wasn’t really an issue. We got back to the dock about 1:15, and people were already lined up through a cattle line to get aboard. The line moved quickly, and by 1:35 we were stepping onto the tender, and back at the ship by 1:55 ish. And again...Kate’s card did not read on the scanners. So back up to customer service, where they fixed my card, and “fixed” Kate’s card.

Wonderful! Dix Neuf is one of our favourites in St Peter Port. Did you get to sit outside by chance? You can probably imagine how quaint the streets are in the evening once the majority of the shops close and there are few people around and just a cat or two roaming the streets. :)

Castle Cornet is nicely presented. Were you there for the canon firing? Interesting history, like most of the island with German influences from WW2 stacked literally on top of medieval structures. Strange that it was more or less under siege during the English civil war by the very island it was built to protect.

[ATTACH]424262[/ATTACH]

Recent Birthday card

That is awesome! Our daughter Emi got Greg a birthday card last year that played “You’ll Never Walk Alone” when you open it.

We did this cruise on June 6, loved it. Geoherb, I read your review from last year and it helped me plan.

I think we all need a reunion!

We do. Now all we need is for KCSungirl to book the back-to-back and for you to book the trans-Atlantic.

Brickle (Brenda) did you happen to notice if they offered the EZ Luggage service that takes your bags straight to the airport and to the airline for you? My mom is traveling with my handicapped father so much easier for her if she doesn't have to deal with the luggage too. Usually you have to have a flight after a certain hour, so was wondering if you had that option at all.

Thanks! Your review was awesome and makes me that much more excited to go. We are going next May on the Crown with the same itinerary, then DH and I are staying in London for 3 days. My parents are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and we will be celebrating 20yrs. So excited!

Brickle (Brenda) did you happen to notice if they offered the EZ Luggage service that takes your bags straight to the airport and to the airline for you? My mom is traveling with my handicapped father so much easier for her if she doesn't have to deal with the luggage too. Usually you have to have a flight after a certain hour, so was wondering if you had that option at all.

Thanks! Your review was awesome and makes me that much more excited to go. We are going next May on the Crown with the same itinerary, then DH and I are staying in London for 3 days. My parents are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and we will be celebrating 20yrs. So excited!

Nevermind... I found out it is only available in Ft Lauderdale and Miami!

I don’t think it was offered, but yeah...that would be heavenly for a lot of people. There are luggage services that pick your bags up at your home and deliver them to your ship, even with an overseas sailing. I am sure it’s not cheap but you might want to look into that for your mom and dad.

Also, that is beyond cool to be with your parents for such a wonderful occasion and then to be celebrating your own all on the same trip! I hope this trip is amazing for you all!

I loved The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Great storytelling through the letters - and very different style of writing! Plus, what a great ending!!

Another wonderful read for those of us that love to cruise is The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain.

Rereading Guernsey Literary Society at the moment and loving it more the second time around. Looking forward to seeing Guernsey...

I don’t think it was offered, but yeah...that would be heavenly for a lot of people. There are luggage services that pick your bags up at your home and deliver them to your ship, even with an overseas sailing. I am sure it’s not cheap but you might want to look into that for your mom and dad.

Also, that is beyond cool to be with your parents for such a wonderful occasion and then to be celebrating your own all on the same trip! I hope this trip is amazing for you all!

My mom loves to cruise and will be elite by the time this cruise happens. We'll definitely take advantage of that. I will have platinum so not far behind her! haha. She is thankful to have someone to cruise with and is always asking us if we want to go with her. As soon as I mentioned we were thinking about this cruise, her eyes lit up. We are even covering one way of the air for her and Pops for their 50th anniversary gift. I get to book that tomorrow. She's nervous about that long of a flight with my dad, but I told her that Boeing 747 or 777's are required to have a handicapped accessible bathroom on board. This is super important due to her needing to assist him.

She has gotten used to traveling with Pops so usually uses porters and whatnot. If she decides to fly out on the day of the cruise debarkation, she will more than likely use their transport to get to the airport, and those guys are usually really good in helping her. You guys flew out on the day of the debarkation, right? What time did the transfers get you to the airport? And what time was your flight?

Appreciate the help as always!