Exercise Classes offered on Equinox

I was wondering what sorts of fitness classes are offered on Celebrity ships, either for free or for a fee. I've recently joined Orange Theory Fitness at home and am loving the structured interval training it provides, and I'm hoping I could find something similar on board my 6/23 sailing.

Thanks in advance!

If you download the Celebrity app on your phone you can select your sailing and see a list of activities scheduled. The closer to your sailing the more updated it becomes. It does not list actual fees but does indicate if there is a fee involved. Not having sailed yet I can't offer any specifics, but I have been following along with current sailings to get a general idea of what might be available. Hope that helps :D

Yea not too many structured classes. Just the popular ones that people will buy. But, you can take a few of the OTF classes and write down what you did then replicate in the gym. They even have rowing machines.

As a side note, this will be tougher if you try in the morning when everyone else is working out. Many times I'll go in later in the day, even when we get back from a tour. No one in there at that time.

enjoy

Edited by Duanerice1

Yea not too many structured classes. Just the popular ones that people will buy. But, you can take a few of the OTF classes and write down what you did then replicate in the gym. They even have rowing machines.

As a side note, this will be tougher if you try in the morning when everyone else is working out. Many times I'll go in later in the day, even when we get back from a tour. No one in there at that time.

enjoy

Yes we were on a 15 day repo cruise to South America on the infinity, anytime after 2 the gym is sparsely populated & if you are lucky you can watch a buff ships officer do push ups while you watch from your stationary bicycle.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On Equinox just now and they have Yoga, Pilates and a cycle class.

I found it interesting that Celebrity was charging a fee for Yoga and Pilates. I guess I was expecting those activities to be similar to the dance classes and be provided free of charge.

I found it interesting that Celebrity was charging a fee for Yoga and Pilates. I guess I was expecting those activities to be similar to the dance classes and be provided free of charge.

I have a feeling far fewer folks would be willing to pay for a dance class than a yoga or pilates class...

Also, side note... I noticed if you post a question about dining on board you get 1001 replies, but if you search any fitness thread there are typically less than 4-5 replies lol

Lol And if it's about a drink package then more like 2001 replies....

The only free classes will be Abs classes and stretching classes and these are usually held at something like 7.30 am or occasionally around 5 pm. Having experienced both I can tell you that you get more exercise walking up and down stairs than you do in the stretching class and the Abs classes are usually very poor - just lots of repetitions of sit-ups and taken by a bored gym employee going through the motions - I have never once seen them use some imagination and make us of the exercise balls. They used to some some really good Zumba classes for free until they realised they could make money by charging for them :rolleyes:

I was wondering what sorts of fitness classes are offered on Celebrity ships, either for free or for a fee. I've recently joined Orange Theory Fitness at home and am loving the structured interval training it provides, and I'm hoping I could find something similar on board my 6/23 sailing.

Thanks in advance!

Do you Zumba?

King

Hi I'm not on Equinox or even taking a Celebrity Cruise but I am a newly minted group exercise instructor specializing in seniors, obese, knee, ankles and balance issues using a "not-your-grandma's" chair aerobics/exercise classes. I will be going on a 50 day cruise in February 2019 and am concerned that I will lose my teaching edge/skills. To counter that I will be checking the gym schedule for class free slots, put my headphones on and teach an imaginary class, sans vocal instructions. My Roll Call (Royal Princes) has 200 members currently and I've asked about people meeting up on sea days somewhere on deck, in a unused room, etc. to at least get some kind of exercises in... for free.

It's the "for free" part along with the group part that has me a little concerned 'cause I don't want to compete with their revenue stream. But as was already mentioned here... mention exercise and you here... crickets. Hopefully at the Meet and Greet (three are planed) one of the veteran cruisers signed up for the M&G knows the CD, as well as a lot of the Sr. Staff … so we'll ask if there are empty spaces and times to set-up an unsponsored ad hoc class.

Ramona

I would think the passenger ages of a 50 day cruise will perfectly align with your expertise. It would surprise me if you couldn’t make it happen. I’m planning a rather long cruise myself in a few years and will be looking to form a group dedicated to staying fit. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think the passenger ages of a 50 day cruise will perfectly align with your expertise. It would surprise me if you couldn’t make it happen. I’m planning a rather long cruise myself in a few years and will be looking to form a group dedicated to staying fit. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!

Will you be going with a fitness minded group you put together yourself, or trying to wrangle up people once onboard? I know the Soul Line Dance community usually has at least two cruises a year. One I know has choreographers teaching new dances; instructors giving classes, etc. which are opened to the entire ship.

My exercise instructor and mentor and I just talked about putting a group together to have a fitness minded group and give classes onboard. I'm setting up a meeting with my travel agent to see how we can go about doing that.

I'll definitely seek out this thread again to share what I find out and to share the success, the failures and tips, tricks and other things once I set sail and return at the end of March 2019.

Ramona