What if cruise ship tipping was like a restaurant; based on cost?

Would you prefer to pay the tip in the same way you would at a restaurant  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer to pay the tip in the same way you would at a restaurant

• Yes, charge a set percent of the cruise fare
    • No, do not charge a set percent of cruise fare

Every waitstaff and bartender I've talked to in the last 5 years. Why? In part, because people won't use their calculators on their phones. Double the dollars is just easier, now it's expected everywhere. And they expect you to round up to the nearest dollar so they don't have to deal with change.

Why do you think there are suggested amounts on receipts?. People can't do the math.

I'm not trying to start an argument, but that is what they expect.

Well, everyone that I've talked to still feels that it's 15%. Has been forever. So I guess it depends on who you ask.

Maybe by you and people you've talked to. But obviously not by everyone, including people I've talked to.

Read this more recent article from 2015: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/06/14/much-tip-depends/71137254/

Obviously there is no consensus. You and people you've spoken with feel one way; I and people I've spoken with feel another. And there are certainly plenty of articles in all directions on the amount. There is anything but concurrence on this.

Edited by time4u2go

Every waitstaff and bartender I've talked to in the last 5 years. Why? In part, because people won't use their calculators on their phones. Double the dollars is just easier, now it's expected everywhere. And they expect you to round up to the nearest dollar so they don't have to deal with change.

Why do you think there are suggested amounts on receipts?. People can't do the math.

I'm not trying to start an argument, but that is what they expect.

This is accurate in my experiences at least. The number of adults that can't figure out 10% or 20% without a calculator or it printed is staggering

Well, everyone that I've talked to still feels that it's 15%. Has been forever. So I guess it depends on who you ask.

If I talk to people younger than me they pretty much say if you leave 20% that's baseline, 25% is normal, 30% is pretty good. If you leave under 20% they would rather you stay home. I try to explain that 15-20% is a pretty solid tip; even my company T&E policy allows for 20% tip which is the highest I've seen in 3 decades. I always thought 10% was fine for a buffet / not content with a server, 15% average, 20% very good.

If I talk to people younger than me they pretty much say if you leave 20% that's baseline, 25% is normal, 30% is pretty good. If you leave under 20% they would rather you stay home. I try to explain that 15-20% is a pretty solid tip; even my company T&E policy allows for 20% tip which is the highest I've seen in 3 decades. I always thought 10% was fine for a buffet / not content with a server, 15% average, 20% very good.

My thinking as well. I start with 15%, then go up or down accordingly.

My thinking as well. I start with 15%, then go up or down accordingly.

Could be a regional thing. In the Northeast, they expect 20%.

Oh well, it was fun debating.

Have a great day everyone!

I'm still trying to figure out where and when and from whom this directive came out (and why).

I think it's obvious that it came from the waitstaff industry, and the reason is equally obvious -- they want more money.

Well, I can't really fault them for that. I want more money too. So do you. ;)

If it's OK for me to occasionally go into the boss' office and ask for a salary increase, then it's OK for other people to do the same thing - in the case of waitstaff, that means asking us for 20% instead of 15.

Note that just like my boss, we are under no obligation to give it to them. If I slack off at work, my boss will not give me a raise - so it's perfectly fine to reserve that 20% for waitstaff that put in the extra hustle if you choose to. It's also perfectly fine to make 20% a baseline tip, or the only percentage you ever give no matter how stellar the service. Tipping is voluntary, which is why I'm kind of confused as to why every time a tipping thread starts anywhere on the internet, fights break out. You tip your way, I'll tip mine.

Would it be more fair if cruise ship tipping mirrored restaurants where the tip is tied to the price of the meal? Set it at a fixed rate of the total base fare and be done with it. Would you go for this setup?

Tips are already adjusted for the crew and if you feel it is wrong for someone in a suite to only pay a few dollars more in tips than someone in an interior then it only makes perfect sense to go for the bargain and get a suite, you know spend $5,000 for the cabin versus $1,000...what a deal!

Edited by rj70056

Why are people so obsessed with this topic? I don't want to sound rude, I guess I just don't understand the fuss.

People like talking about money. No big mystery

Sent from my iPhone using Forums