What if cruise ship tipping was like a restaurant; based on cost?

Would you prefer to pay the tip in the same way you would at a restaurant  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer to pay the tip in the same way you would at a restaurant

• Yes, charge a set percent of the cruise fare
    • No, do not charge a set percent of cruise fare

You used the arguement about the suite guest paying a smaller % of their overall fare vs someone in an inside.

How do you justify charging someone in a balcony 2-4 times the amount of someone in an inside cabin when both cabins are the same size and each cabins guests are entiltled to use the exact same services and eat at the same venues.

I’m with a previous poster who wishes gratuities would just be included in the fare, no option for removal and tip extra if you wish.

+1 agree.

Steward has to clean the balcony.

There should be a surcharge for those big aft balconies. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

A lot of the time the balcony looks like it hasn't been cleaned just like often the room doesn't look as if it has been hoovered.

For us, a 7 day cruise in an OV balcony with drink packages, excursions, shopping, etc is around $2,500, depending on what we want to do at each port. We drive to Port Canaveral and pay maybe $130 or so just to park. $200 in auto gratuities on-board is nothing, when you think about the total cost of the vacation. I think some of you are losing too much sleep over something so minuscule.
I love these threads because most people have my tipping mentality.

Being from the UK I frequent P&O UK boards where a lot of people are anti- tipping.

What would the point of all this be? Everyone already gets charged tips, yet still feel the burning need to tip even more. You could make the auto-grats 50% of the cruise fare and people would still find a dozen reasons why they tip extra. Americans can't help it, they feel like they're doing something wrong if they leave an empty table.

Personally I would prefer that they just include the cost of what actually goes to the staff in the actual fare, and then allow people to tip for good service if they get it. That’s how tipping works in pretty much every other country around the world, so it’s not like staff or international passengers would have a problem understanding.

I agree. I find this whole debate confusing as there is a distinction between service charge (charge made to cover cost of providing service) and customary tips given at discretion of customer as an additional reward to staff.

The customary tips most of us will continue to give whatever the system and it serves to incentivise good performance and service by frontline staff.

There is no reason why the service charge (auto gratuity) can't be included in the fare. It is in Australia. For a while, it appeared to be mandatory in UK where we had to prepay if we booked MTD. It is a flat rate charge and I favour this as the service levels are not remarkably different between different types of cabins or even correlate with fare paid.

With regards to suites, it makes sense to put an automatic levy for service which is higher and includes the additional services provided to suite guests as in suite lounge and CK. This would take away any obligations for people to tip while feeling free to do so if they want to.

taurant works.

Maybe the question should be; if 2 diff couples are occupying a table each at a restaurant and one runs up a $40 bill in 2 hours and one runs up a $200 bill in 2 hours, why is one couple expected to tip $8 on average and the other $40 on average? Maybe restaurants should go to flat charges like cruise ships?

LMaxwell, let's adjust that thinking a little bit, and let me ask you this.

What if one couples bill is $40 & they left an $8 tip but sat at & took up the servers table for 6 hours.

The other couple had a $200 bill, left a $40 tip & took up the table for 2 hours.

That $40 check with the $8 tip just cost the server a lot of potential money. Happens quite often in restaurants.

A server will lose a lot of money because someone is taking up a table having some sort of meeting, on a lap top, doing business, etc, etc... While in that time the server could've flipped that table a few times.

What I'm trying to say is:

The customer took up the table for 6 hours, leaving the server an $8 tip on the $40 check, but not on the hours sitting there. Causing the server to lose money....

So what about 'time' as a factor. Should it be a factor?

:confused:

Edited by ObstructedView2

I'd agree with that in years past - everyone had the same services available no matter which cabin, but now with additional spaces dedicated to suites only and suites only amenities...do you think the $3 per day per person covers suite lounge, CK, concierge, etc.?

But since you at least seem keen for a discussion and not a temper tantrum meltdown, let me ask you, which do you think is the more equitable way?

What is broken by the current system?

Get the same service, pay the same tips. Done.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What is broken by the current system?

Get the same service, pay the same tips. Done.

Then why do we scale it in restaurants by price of food if everyone gets similar service?

Maybe the cruise ship model IS the better way?

LMaxwell, let's adjust that thinking a little bit, and let me ask you this.

What if one couples bill is $40 & they left an $8 tip but sat at & took up the servers table for 6 hours.

The other couple had a $200 bill, left a $40 tip & took up the table for 2 hours.

That $40 check with the $8 tip just cost the server a lot of potential money. Happens quite often in restaurants.

A server will lose a lot of money because someone is taking up a table having some sort of meeting, on a lap top, doing business, etc, etc... While in that time the server could've flipped that table a few times.

What I'm trying to say is:

The customer took up the table for 6 hours, leaving the server an $8 tip on the $40 check, but not on the hours sitting there. Causing the server to lose money....

So what about 'time' as a factor. Should it be a factor?

:confused:

Interesting perspective and something worth considering

Why are you so infatuated about tipping?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

What’s your opinion or input on the topic? Are are you just being a curmudgeonly carol ?

Why do you think there should be one universal system for tipping?

There is nothing wrong at all about there being different systems for different businesses. Obviously it’s working for the majority or it would have been changed.

I think it’s inequitable with the current setup. There does not need to be one universal system.

I think it’s inequitable with the current setup. There does not need to be one universal system.

Not sure why you think it's inequitable?

I'm not sure, but I would think the only people voting yes to your poll would be those staying in the inside cabins.

They would be the ones coming out on top financially.

I live in a large 3 tower condo complex. We have units running from one bedroom @ 900 sqft to 3 bedrooms @ 1800 sqft. We all pay the same association dues. That's not equitable. Larger units, I.e. more bedrooms, use more water, have more of the building to insure, etc.

We just happen to own a 3 bedroom. While I know it's not fair, I'm not willing to pay a higher association fee. Human nature.

Then why do we scale it in restaurants by price of food if everyone gets similar service?

Again, you need to remember that the cruise ship model covers more than just food service. The cruise ship model has worked relatively well for decades, even more so with the advent of auto-tips (especially from the crew's perspective).

Again, you need to remember that the cruise ship model covers more than just food service. The cruise ship model has worked relatively well for decades, even more so with the advent of auto-tips (especially from the crew's perspective).
If it's not broken don't fix it and the AG is best for everyone IMO plus a little extra cash for the crew on top.

If it's not broken don't fix it and the AG is best for everyone IMO plus a little extra cash for the crew on top.

I have to agree with the two posts above and many else in the same vein.

Your idee doesn´t make any sense at all (not that I´m surprised).

Oh yeah and my Vote was "NO" of course. There´s a system that works, so no need to re-invent the wheel.

I don't agree at all.

Your hypothetical couple in the same restaurant spending $200 vs. $40- the only way that happens is if the $40 couple orders almost nothing, and the $200 couple orders a lot. So there is not equitable amount of service. Not even close.

Unless the price difference is a bottle of wine- which is a different person to be tipping. And finding a restaurant that you can decently eat for $20/head and find a $160 bottle of wine- that's pretty tough.

Still, the hypothetical is a perfect example of two very different orders, therefore very different service.

As for the concept that the $40 couple somehow spends 6 hours without being asked to leave, in a restaurant where it's apparently common to order $200 in a two hour window, I find that hypothetical rather hard to buy as an option.

Heck, on a cruise, given that we don't eat much, and many actually ask about getting multiples of each plate, then it's more possible that an inside cabin gets more service than a GS vs. a $40 vs a $200 couple in the same restaurant. So if you go by your model, the interior is underpaying for their service vs. the GS customer, by a pretty wide margin.

The current model is only broke in your eye. And if you are that upset about it, just don't pay your tip. It's your choice. Don't expect decent service in the future, though. And don't whine about it, either.

I don't agree at all.

Your hypothetical couple in the same restaurant spending $200 vs. $40- the only way that happens is if the $40 couple orders almost nothing, and the $200 couple orders a lot. So there is not equitable amount of service. Not even close.

Unless the price difference is a bottle of wine- which is a different person to be tipping. And finding a restaurant that you can decently eat for $20/head and find a $160 bottle of wine- that's pretty tough.

Still, the hypothetical is a perfect example of two very different orders, therefore very different service.

As for the concept that the $40 couple somehow spends 6 hours without being asked to leave, in a restaurant where it's apparently common to order $200 in a two hour window, I find that hypothetical rather hard to buy as an option.

Heck, on a cruise, given that we don't eat much, and many actually ask about getting multiples of each plate, then it's more possible that an inside cabin gets more service than a GS vs. a $40 vs a $200 couple in the same restaurant. So if you go by your model, the interior is underpaying for their service vs. the GS customer, by a pretty wide margin.

The current model is only broke in your eye. And if you are that upset about it, just don't pay your tip. It's your choice. Don't expect decent service in the future, though. And don't whine about it, either.

Good points,the current way especially on US ships is the best way but at least this thread looked at tipping differently.

I have to agree with the two posts above and many else in the same vein.

Your idee doesn´t make any sense at all (not that I´m surprised).

Oh yeah and my Vote was "NO" of course. There´s a system that works, so no need to re-invent the wheel.

Another low brow insult from a keyboard tough guy.

Thanks, I fully agree !!!

I wouldn’t be proud to side w a lady like carol nice to your face nasty behind your back. No wonder so many people have nasty things to say onboard about CC and RCI has conveniently started forgetting meet and mingles. Go figure

I don't agree at all.

It’s possible inside cabin guests require more service than someone in a suite but should they be paying 20% instead of 5%?

Waiting for someone to explain why besides RCI inability to manage a database this is not workable. I thought everyone here sailed in suites and had money to burn adopting a steward for the week, so why doesn’t anyone just come out and say they don’t want to pay more, hmm? No crime in being honest