Carnival Magic late arrival. Cancelling St Thomas. Very upset

LuckyZ

On this sailing and also incredibly disappointed. St Thomas was the main reason we chose this itinerary and was going to be the highlight of our cruise. I totally understand the medical emergency was no one’s fault, however someone in administration made a poor choice about which port to cancel. I knew there’d be a significant lack of sympathy on these boards. Fingers crossed the rest of the cruise is extra awesome.

Ramokk, math says we only get $65pp....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On this sailing and also incredibly disappointed. St Thomas was the main reason we chose this itinerary and was going to be the highlight of our cruise. I totally understand the medical emergency was no one’s fault, however someone in administration made a poor choice about which port to cancel. I knew there’d be a significant lack of sympathy on these boards. Fingers crossed the rest of the cruise is extra awesome.

Ramokk, math says we only get $65pp....

I was guesstimating another $10 or so for the port tax/charge refund for the missed port.

Apparently there's an ongoing issue with the engines that they're going to repair during our cruise so they can't go fast enough to make it to all 4 ports within the days of the trip. I hope nothing else breaks while we're at sea.

True and I’m sure they will modify it. What I was saying is first seating for Traditional Dining is typically at 6:00pm. I haven’t seen 5:30pm or maybe even 5:45pm since my first few cruises.

On the Vista in March our assigned time was 5:30.

OP, it sucks to miss a port but that's part of cruising. Even with the best maintenance program stuff can happen. I agree with other about your comment concerning throw away ports, don't agree that they are at all.

Just called in to Customer Service.

1) FTTF is still in effect, there will be a separate line at the cruise terminal. (Although I'm still probably going to ask for a refund of that on board if the stateroom isn't ready, etc. Considering the extra cost of FTTF is to get on the ship as early as possible and having the stateroom ready at boarding time, I think a refund is reasonable if the ship is 4+ hours late.)

2) The customer service reps had no answer for how dinner will work tonight; said we'll find out once we're on board.

1) FTTF allows you to be among the first to board and to go directly to your cabin. It doesn't guarantee that you will be on board by a specific time. Unless they don't recognize priority boarding or your cabin isn't ready due to the delayed arrival/boarding and the resulting compressed boarding period, Carnival would be within their rights to say you got what you paid for and not refund FTTF.

2) Based on my previous experience with muster drill and departure occurring during assigned seating dinner, they will probably make both dining rooms open seating for all guests this night.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Forums mobile app

1) FTTF allows you to be among the first to board and to go directly to your cabin. It doesn't guarantee that you will be on board by a specific time. Unless they don't recognize priority boarding or your cabin isn't ready due to the delayed arrival/boarding and the resulting compressed boarding period, Carnival would be within their rights to say you got what you paid for and not refund FTTF.

2) Based on my previous experience with muster drill and departure occurring during assigned seating dinner, they will probably make both dining rooms open seating for all guests this night.

Thanks! That makes sense. I was only planning to ask for the FTTF refund if either the stateroom wasn't ready or if we end up in line to board as long as people who don't have FTTF.

The open dining sounds like the best way to solve the problem for tonight.

On the Vista in March our assigned time was 5:30.

OP, it sucks to miss a port but that's part of cruising. Even with the best maintenance program stuff can happen. I agree with other about your comment concerning throw away ports, don't agree that they are at all.

Now that I think about it, my friend did have a time like that on Vista. They were waitlisted for Early and found out onboard that they did get it. But it was on the top floor of the Anytime Dining room. I don’t know if other ships do that too or just Vista. We always get early and every time it’s been 6:00pm.

While I understand people being disappointed in a missed port, I honestly don’t get the anger coming through on these posts.

There was a medical emergency...have some compassion for the person and their family. Mechanical issues happens on all lines...it can be a pain in the rear but it happens!!

If you sail long enough you are going to run into hiccups along the way. If you can’t handle the disappointment maybe you should rethink this type of vacation.

We once had an entire cruise cancelled after a day and a half of waiting in Tampa because they couldn’t bring the ship in due to fog!! What did we do?? We drove back home, filed trip insurance and rebooked the same cruise for two months later.

Sure we were disappointed but we accepted it as “things happen”.....

Yikes!...I am so hoping this doesn't affect other sailings. Going with my granddaughter on July 7th....same itinerary Carnival Magic. Specifically picked this one because it was 4 ports and no back to back sea days. Will wait and see what happens.

Always best to hope but not "hope too hard".

We were on Carnival Magic Western Caribbean last year with Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay and Costa Maya. The way I figured it, with a 4 port itinerary, if one was canceled, we'd still have most of our port calls. (If it was a 2 port itinerary, if one was canceled that would be "half the ports!")

In our case, we made all 4 ports, but I actually would have preferred we skipped Belize. Our excursion was canceled due to rain the night before. Of course, they didn't tell us until after we took the tender. By the time they told us, none of the other excursions that still had space were even remotely comparable (or interesting, for that matter). If they told us earlier in the morning, we might have had a chance to grab one of the available slots in some other excursion before someone else who was making plans at the last minute. Or we could have stayed aboard and saved the hour round trip dealing with the tender back and forth.

It sure is disappointing when stuff like that happens, but stuff like that does happen

This will be my first Carnival cruise and really looking forward to it. Will also be a first travelling with my 18 year old grand daughter which will make it even more special. Totally prepared mentally for any itinerary changes and have also told her that the unexpected may happen. She is excited about her first cruise. After undergoing cancer treatment in 2015, an itinerary change is rather minor. Happy travels everyone!

I do understand your frustration and am sorry this happened. Missing a “bucket list” port is very disappointing. I get that St. Thomas isn’t a common port with Carnival, but others might feel the same way you do regarding San Juan or Grand Turk.

Anyway, it looks like something unavoidable (reports are popping up on CC) and they are trying to make it right.

I can’t tel where you are on your cruise but I hope you have/had a good time!

Actually, St. Thomas is a VERY common port for Carnival. Florida departures call on it approximately 5 times a month. Not a week goes by without a 7 day ship heading there. And of course we're excluding Fascination sailing out of San Juan that calls there every single Monday.

Just called in to Customer Service.

1) FTTF is still in effect, there will be a separate line at the cruise terminal. (Although I'm still probably going to ask for a refund of that on board if the stateroom isn't ready, etc. Considering the extra cost of FTTF is to get on the ship as early as possible and having the stateroom ready at boarding time, I think a refund is reasonable if the ship is 4+ hours late.)

2) The customer service reps had no answer for how dinner will work tonight; said we'll find out once we're on board.

Regardless if embarkation begins at 10:15am or 10:15pm, the process is still the same. You will still have the priority embarkation, your room should still be ready when you board, and you get all of the other perks. In fact, FTTF would be MORE of an advantage in this particular situation because instead of all passengers spread out on their arrival, they'll all be getting there whenever (more will be sooner than later) so you'll be able to bypass that many more people to enjoy your FTTF perks.

Enjoy your cruise!

come on, completely different situation, this was not weather related it was a decision Carnival made. They own the port, so they don't care, they get your money either way. Unless I do a dive, which I usually do, we stay on the ship. I have Cheers, don't need to spend $8 on a Land Shark.

People need to get a grip, and understand cruising. I wanted to see grand cayman. First two sailings we missed it. Stuff happens it’s vacation go have a good time. If you don’t like sea days book an AI to one of the islands, and the problem is solved. FYI st Thomas isn’t all that. Sailed there at least 6 times, and spent a week there as well. I can think of 5 or 6 spots in the carribean I like better.

As to The muster drill with embarkation that late it would be done after dinner time or possibly even in the morning on the following day as was done on a Carnival Ecstasy sailing I was on out of Galveston several years ago that was delayed until late due to fog in the port.

Edited by MediumB
Misspelling

People need to get a grip, and understand cruising. I wanted to see grand cayman. First two sailings we missed it. Stuff happens it’s vacation go have a good time. If you don’t like sea days book an AI to one of the islands, and the problem is solved. FYI st Thomas isn’t all that. Sailed there at least 6 times, and spent a week there as well. I can think of 5 or 6 spots in the carribean I like better.
On which of your seven trips to St. Thomas did you decide it isn't all that? :confused: I'm kidding! I get it. After a half dozen trips to a place the buzz wears off. I've been to St. Thomas about a half dozen times myself and though it used to be among my favorite islands, I no longer feel that way. That's just the way it works: law of diminishing returns.

What seems to be the problem with the Magic, as I’m booked on it in 2020 for a special occasion cruise with family? I know, it’s a long way off, but worried this ship is suffering from some mechanical issues that could be lasting.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are on the Magic in 2020 as well. I'm fairly certain they will have the problem fixed by then.

My sister just got off Magic and just now left for the airport on the shuttle. Said it was a mad house at port. They already missed their scheduled flight but I managed to get them on another flight at 6:20. Said ship developed propulsion issues during the night.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app