Anthem of the Seas Review June 9-14th 2018

Boarding - Slight issue with getting our grandson's boarding photo, some technical issues with their iPad that took around 20 minutes to resolve but all went fine after that and we were finally boarded.

Cabin - We were balcony, stbd side. Immediately took a liking to our cabin steward, Ronolfo. He went over and beyond with cleanliness and service. Ice every day in the ice bucket. Wine glasses. Towel animals. Robes provided without asking. This was a huge plus.

Ship - As it was our second time on Anthem, while we liked the ship we realized how much we prefer the smaller vessels. Just too many people, we thought.

Dining - We were early seating, Grande. Our wait staff were second to none. All the bells & whistles. Zero complaints. I see RCL now has section head waiters. Fatima was awesome as was Iputu and Ijero. Recommended that the line in our survey promote and retain these fine people. Food: Outstanding menu, tasty dishes, and lobster tails for the last meal. DW was happy when she spotted the Strawberry Bisque on the menu. I couldn't name one certain dish as the best because every one of them was amazing and well prepared!

Entertainment - Our second time seeing Spectra's Cabaret. We met Spectra on the pier, had a nice talk with him. I could certainly relate with him being in the music business as I'm in a rock and roll band part time. Very nice guy, he is deeply into what he does, and is a very outgoing gentleman. Spectacular performance by Spectra and his entire crew. You must see this show! The only thing I didn't like about the rest of the entertainment that we saw was the musical acts in the various bars on board. These days, the bands on board are "canned" and as a musician, I didn't really appreciate this. We didn't see much of the rest of the entertainment on board.

Itinerary - We did the usual trivia games. Loads of fun! Far as the Bermuda visit went, although it rained both days, we visited for our first time, Horseshoe Beach. Had a fantastic time, and yes, DO take the taxis to the beach, MUCH cheaper than the RCL transfer fee!

Jamie Oliver's: Maybe it was simply bad timing.

While the Truffle Tagiatelle is my ultimate favorite dish, I instead elected to watch our grandson while I sent DW and DD off to dinner to JO's that night, but they had an unfortunately terrible dining experience. Both main courses were under par. Lasagna was overloaded with hamburger meat while it lacked cheese; the lamb chops were dry. It took the waitress a long time to come over to investigate why they weren't eating; when she did, it wasn't a pleasant exchange. "Could it be that both of you are just full" was rather insulting from the waitress. Long story short, time was running out to do something else, so they ended up leaving after a long delay in the waitress coming over even though she clearly saw there was problems with the main courses. The manager wasn't around for some reason after asking for her. However, meal was eventually compensated for both thanks to guest services. DW said Jamie's has went downhill in both quality and friendliness of staff; hopefully things will change for the better. But the manager was a bit intimidating with them on the telephone later on, by declaring "maybe you don't realize that this is an authentic Italian dining experience and you should've came to me instead of visiting guest services for a refund." This didn't go well with DD; she handled the manager on the phone by saying "I think I'm being attacked now, this conversation is over" and she hung up. Well, where was this manager when they initially asked for her at JO's? Hoping there is another JO's on future ships that is managed better by someone who can resolve issues like this without arguing back, and trying to intimidate guests. I had the notion of writing a follow-up letter to RCL management in Miami, but it's over and done with.

Anthem - Overall, a fine ship, well laid out, but again, far too many people for us. Don't let that discourage you; Anthem does have a lot to offer. Great itinerary to Bermuda for a 5 day cruise.

Thanks for this, glad you enjoyed. :) But sorry, could you explain this? I have read it several times and I'm afraid I just don't get it?.....

Maybe it's been there all along, first time noticing....we didn't see the head waiter, instead, they now have these section head waiters. At least this is what I am thinking. She was very nice.

I’m so sorry your DW and DD had such an unpleasant experience at JO’s. On our cruise last winter, it was the highlight of our trip, due in great part to our server.

Do you, by any chance, still have the list of the current ship’s officers? I’m trying to obtain the name/email of the Food and Beverage Director.

I’m so sorry your DW and DD had such an unpleasant experience at JO’s. On our cruise last winter, it was the highlight of our trip, due in great part to our server.

Do you, by any chance, still have the list of the current ship’s officers? I’m trying to obtain the name/email of the Food and Beverage Director.

Oh, believe me, two years ago, Jamie's was FANTASTIC on the same ship. It's just sad realizing it now has different staff....the current ones would be better off washing elephants at a zoo.

And no, I don't have that list.

There was ONE thing I forgot to mention:

Mayer Electrical Group, or whatever - yet another reason to avoid the larger ships. They took over Seaplex the first night for their "private event" and the ships staff were turning away kids from entering. I felt that was a shame to the kids who just wanted to have fun. From there on, people were thinking "I wonder what Mayer will take over tonight." It was rather annoying for a lot of the cruisers we spoke with around the ship.

Maybe it's been there all along, first time noticing....we didn't see the head waiter, instead, they now have these section head waiters. At least this is what I am thinking. She was very nice.

Wow, I must be having trouble today; forgive me, I still don't understand. Royal has always used Head Waiters and there was never one per table - they handle many tables. Is that what you mean? I know it's a small thing to pick on, but I'm just trying to understand. :D:o

Entertainment - Our second time seeing Spectra's Cabaret. We met Spectra on the pier, had a nice talk with him. I could certainly relate with him being in the music business as I'm in a rock and roll band part time. Very nice guy, he is deeply into what he does, and is a very outgoing gentleman.

His name is Terry Lavell.... and he's fabulous!!

Not sure by what you meant by canned music. I've been on Anthem 17 times and never had canned music in the Music Hall. The Royal Swedes have been on the ship, and they are an excellent band. I just read that they left Anthem for a few weeks, but will be returning. Did they not bring on another live band to replace them in the Music Hall?

Wow, I must be having trouble today; forgive me, I still don't understand. Royal has always used Head Waiters and there was never one per table - they handle many tables. Is that what you mean? I know it's a small thing to pick on, but I'm just trying to understand. :D:o

It's quite alright to bring it up because it was my first time realizing it as well. Fatima was like a section head waiter of a "section" of many tables in the MDR.

Not sure by what you meant by canned music. I've been on Anthem 17 times and never had canned music in the Music Hall. The Royal Swedes have been on the ship, and they are an excellent band. I just read that they left Anthem for a few weeks, but will be returning. Did they not bring on another live band to replace them in the Music Hall?

A "Canned" band is where you have a few musicians who bring pre-recorded tracks, such as drum tracks in place of a regular drummer. In the music business, true musicians call it cheating.

We were actually on this cruise also and found the ship too small for our liking. We have been spoiled by Oasis and Allure 4 times total and liked those ships better. They had more room and while they have 2,000 more people on board, it never felt crowded like this ship does.

5 days was not enough to explore and do things. We never made it to Jamie's or many other things as there was just so much packed in, in a little amount of time.

We had a great time, no doubt and very little problems but we don't think we will be going back on this ship again.

The Entertainment on Anthem is one of the reasons we keep sailing on her. I also have to agree with Gail, out of the umpteen times we've been on Anthem and recently as of a few weeks ago, I never heard of any canned music in any of the venues on Anthem. Can you tell me what venue had canned music? Could it have been Karaoke in the Music Hall?

But the manager was a bit intimidating with them on the telephone later on, by declaring "maybe you don't realize that this is an authentic Italian dining experience and you should've came to me instead of visiting guest services for a refund.

Top of the menu is this item

JAMIE’S ITALIAN BURGER*

Juicy prime beef with smoky pancetta, balsamic onions, Cheddar, tomato & homemade mostarda mayo

When did a hamburger become and authentic Italian dish? I'm quite sure cheddar cheese didn't originate in Italy. After reading their menu it appears most of their dishes are American Classics topped with Parmesan Cheese and Oregano or such. Just because it's topped with tomato sauce doesn't make it an authentic Italian dish.

Top of the menu is this item

JAMIE’S ITALIAN BURGER*

Juicy prime beef with smoky pancetta, balsamic onions, Cheddar, tomato & homemade mostarda mayo

When did a hamburger become and authentic Italian dish? I'm quite sure cheddar cheese didn't originate in Italy. After reading their menu it appears most of their dishes are American Classics topped with Parmesan Cheese and Oregano or such. Just because it's topped with tomato sauce doesn't make it an authentic Italian dish.

Precisely! And, authentic Italian restaurants have Italian staff; not rude and abrupt Romanian manager and waitresses like the two my family had to deal with. Oh, and authentic Italian dishes do NOT have hamburger meat in their lasagnas. DD's was overloaded with hamburger meat; not Italian sausage as it should have had.