Can you beat this chair hog story?

You, a nonsmoker, chose the smoking section to stretch out on a seat that is designed for two. And when told that the area was for smokers, chose to ignore this and stretch out anyways. I am also a nonsmoker and would not sit in a smoking section. If I did by mistake, I would admit my error and move. In general, if someone politely asked if they could sit, I would move my legs and allow them to sit. What you did was not nice all the way around.

So if I were a smoker (I am not) and I was sitting in the Non Smoking section then a Non Smoker has the right to come up to me and ask me to move and I should because I am a smoker in the non smoking section (not smoking)

Does not matter if a non smoker is in the smoking section the entire ship is open to everyone with the exception of the areas with age requirements and just because one is in an a certain section of the ship generally used by someone else does not mean that person does not have the right to enjoy that section - It's not like she is complaining about the smokers she is simply enjoying her cruise and chosing not to share a seat she found herself with a complete stranger

So if I were a smoker (I am not) and I was sitting in the Non Smoking section then a Non Smoker has the right to come up to me and ask me to move and I should because I am a smoker in the non smoking section (not smoking)

Does not matter if a non smoker is in the smoking section the entire ship is open to everyone with the exception of the areas with age requirements and just because one is in an a certain section of the ship generally used by someone else does not mean that person does not have the right to enjoy that section - It's not like she is complaining about the smokers she is simply enjoying her cruise and chosing not to share a seat she found herself with a complete stranger

I look at it like this - smokers that wish to smoke have very limited places to do it. So if I as a non smoker am taking up a spot (or two) and I have no intentions of smoking and a smoker is looking for a seat, then as common courtesy yes I should move. They weren’t asking her to vacate entirely, just to allow them to share what is a 2 person seat.

The rest of the ship isn’t designated for only non smokers, so whether someone smokes as long as they don’t light up there is irrelevant. That being said, if anyone needed a place to sit and I was occupying a spot that was designed for 2, then they should be able to sit there as well.

I look at it like this - smokers that wish to smoke have very limited places to do it. So if I as a non smoker am taking up a spot (or two) and I have no intentions of smoking and a smoker is looking for a seat, then as common courtesy yes I should move. They weren’t asking her to vacate entirely, just to allow them to share what is a 2 person seat.

The rest of the ship isn’t designated for only non smokers, so whether someone smokes as long as they don’t light up there is irrelevant. That being said, if anyone needed a place to sit and I was occupying a spot that was designed for 2, then they should be able to sit there as well.

I’m beginning to think that no matter how many ways or examples are given...the concept of “common courtesy” is elusive for some. A cruise ship that has 3,000+ passengers, would be a much more fun and enjoyable experience for all if folks practiced kindness and common courtesy. It will be a long trying week if surrounded by mean people.

I’m beginning to think that no matter how many ways or examples are given...the concept of “common courtesy” is elusive for some. A cruise ship that has 3,000+ passengers, would be a much more fun and enjoyable experience for all if folks practiced kindness and common courtesy. It will be a long trying week if surrounded by mean people.

Agreed.:)

And if there were not other spots availabe for said smoker to sit then I would completely agree that they should offer to share but it was mentioned that there was plenty of other open smoking seats available and in that case I don't see the need to move

And if there were not other spots availabe for said smoker to sit then I would completely agree that they should offer to share but it was mentioned that there was plenty of other open smoking seats available and in that case I don't see the need to move

Without going all the way back through the posts, I seem to recall something about being in a good spot for a movie or something. So if the other spots weren’t conducive to watching the movie and I was occupying a seat made for 2 or more people, then I see nothing wrong with it and I would sit up as to allow the other person to enjoy as well. Anything less is being greedy and rude IMHO.

A 2 seat couch is not a lounger. But if you insisted on taking up 2 seats with your 1 butt, I would have simply called security and you could have dealt with them.

Ahhhh...cruise life, where one can call security for "improper use of a loveseat!" :eek::rolleyes:

You planted yourself smack dab in the middle of the deck 11 smoking section:

so, what you are saying that a non-smoker is not allowed to use a loveseat in the middle of a smoking section? and if a non-smoker is using a loveseat in the middle of the smoking section, he or she must yield to a smoker and share said loveseat with a stranger?

Dang, King and Queen award for chair hogs. Seeing that it was on the open, crowded, deck to watch fireworks, I would have started a chant "Chair Hogs" starting faint until it gets louder. First cruise or not, people know what chair hogs are. A lot of people knowing the situation would join it.

This is really screwed up logic. If a person could smoke anywhere on ship they you as a non-smoker could sit anywhere you please (still only taking up 1 seat). But since you as a non-smoker are taking up one of the few areas a smoker can partake of their desire to smoke, you should vacate the area. If not, then there are two choices. A smoker should be able to smoke in the non-smoking section since you won't allow a smoker to sit and smoking in the smoking section or what I would do is stand as close to you as possible and just continue blowing smoke on you until you got the hint and left.

Agreed.

Maybe that particular spot was in shade and the other areas in sun. Maybe the poster lied and there was no other spots open but wanted to pretend to have some sort of chair hogging moral authority. It doesn't really matter. The poster fully stated up front they were occupying a space meant for 2 people and would not sit up so a second person could occupy the second space. No reason or justification has to be given by the person wanting to sit in the second space.

Ahhhh...cruise life, where one can call security for "improper use of a loveseat!" :eek::rolleyes:

Nope it's call chair hogging and is specifically mentioned in the Funtimes. Please, carry on with your entitledness though. Or you can just smell my smoke as I blow it all over you. ;)

so, what you are saying that a non-smoker is not allowed to use a loveseat in the middle of a smoking section? and if a non-smoker is using a loveseat in the middle of the smoking section, he or she must yield to a smoker and share said loveseat with a stranger?

No, what is being said is no singular person is allowed to take two seats for their singular body. Is this concept hard for people to understand because many people here just don't seem to get it.

Let's redirect this thread (again) away from another boring argumentative smoking thread to what the OP posted--funny chair hog stories. We all need more funny stuff in our lives.

Thank You!:D

Everybody let's try to be a little kinder to our fellow cruisers. Being inconsiderate has a way of becoming infectious. The same thing happens when we show some courtesy. A small gesture of good will goes a long way.:*

Well said

Security security some woman won’t share her seat with me!!! Let’s call the whaaaaambulance. Yes there are other seats available but I want that one ! (All said while whining and stomping my entitled foot)