Can you beat this chair hog story?

If you read her post she stated that the women asked if she could sit down with her, not that she needed to leave because she was in the smoking section.

Its not rude to ask for someone to share space.

To go up to a stranger and ask them to sit up so you can sit down with them on a loveseat while there is other seating available ( for sake of this discussion I am accepting that there was other seating available) is rude. I would have reacted the same way as bingomama. Being a nice guy if they were nice about it, and pointed out that there was no other seating and they were tired or this was her special place that she use to spend with whomever I probably would have gave it up. But I am not giving it up because she played the I am smoker card.

So if you are on a clam shell sun lounger thing in serenity by yourself and someone asks to share it with you...are you ok with that?

Yes I am! I like to meet new people on cruise ships! Its fun and you never know who you are going to meet! They could have an amazing story or be battling something horrible that me offering for them to join me might ease a little of their pain.

Kindness goes a long way. try it sometime!

yeah...is that different than a private loveseat?

There is no way strangers share loveseats...no matter how you want to say they do

If there is no way a stranger would share a love seat then why would some random smoker want to share a loveseat with you on a deck that allegedly had many open seats?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Edited by MediumB
Typo

If there is no way a stranger would share a love seat then why would some random smoker want to share a loveseat with you on a deck that allegedly had many open seats?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I really don't want to pile on to the situation, but I agree. My hunch is the smoker wouldn't have asked for them to slide over unless there were no empty seats. I know I wouldn't have.

Certainly not a rule breaking move to lay out on a two seating chair, but definitely a violation of common courtesy when there are no other seats available, which is what seems to be the case here. Who knows, we weren't there. Maybe the smoker is a cruise critic member an will chime in with their side of the story?

There are only so many smoking sections on the ship, but there are plenty of places to sit and lounge.

Well, first of all, I don't smoke. If someone who doesn't smoke is sitting in the smoker's area, then I would expect them to leave or just accept the smokers around her and not complain about it. The smokers are limited as to where they can smoke on any ship. So taking away their places to sit, to me, is uncalled for. I'd rather the smokers take their puffs in these designated areas than having that nasty smoke everywhere on the ship.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

Yes i would move over and have done so many times. Do you know how many cruise friends I have met this way. By being polite and sharing a table or love seat. Please sit down lets chat. This is the norm with smokers, we tend to be...not as up tight as non smokers. We enjoy meeting new people and sharing instead of being rude and treating her like a 2nd class citizen because she smokes and was looking for a seat in the smoking section.

Sorry, but I’m with Bingomamma in this one. There were other places for the other lady to sit.

Well, first of all, I don't smoke. If someone who doesn't smoke is sitting in the smoker's area, then I would expect them to leave or just accept the smokers around her and not complain about it. The smokers are limited as to where they can smoke on any ship. So taking away their places to sit, to me, is uncalled for. I'd rather the smokers take their puffs in these designated areas than having that nasty smoke everywhere on the ship.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

It was in the movie area.

I really don't want to pile on to the situation, but I agree. My hunch is the smoker wouldn't have asked for them to slide over unless there were no empty seats. I know I wouldn't have.

Certainly not a rule breaking move to lay out on a two seating chair, but definitely a violation of common courtesy when there are no other seats available, which is what seems to be the case here. Who knows, we weren't there. Maybe the smoker is a cruise critic member an will chime in with their side of the story?

There are only so many smoking sections on the ship, but there are plenty of places to sit and lounge.

The smoker may have wanted that seat to get a good view. Bingomama said there were other places to sit and I take her word at that rather than speculate

The smoker may have wanted that seat to get a good view. Bingomama said there were other places to sit and I take her word at that rather than speculate

Exactly correct. There were many many other chairs available in that smoking area--but they were off to the side where the tables and chairs are--which is why I told her to go find a chair. I found it odd for her to ask so forcefully, which is why this stuck in my head the last few years.

Not sure why a few on here want to make this some kind of horror story--and if others would like to share an intimate seating such as a loveseat, more power to them. I choose not to and that is ok too. There is no right or wrong, just what you feel comfortable with.

How did a CHOG thread become a smoker's thread?

Unfortunately I shared an example of what I thought was an interesting "take" on a chair hog--someone wanting to share the loveseat I was using. (the whole story is somewhere on page 2 or 3 in case anyone wants to accuse me of leaving out/changing details in my small sentence here)

A few on here took that and ran with it with all sorts of takes on it. Made up their own facts/takes etc. Crazy. It was just a blip in time that happened on a cruise. Nothing more, nothing less.

We were at the waterworks area for about an hour and i guess the people that we sat next to went and took off all the towels on the chairs that some lady put on to hold them before the sun came up. So she trots up the stairs like an army commando and when she saw that all these people were sitting in “HER” chairs she lost her mind! F Bomb after F bomb in front of all those kids! The best was that there was at least ten beach towels that she had to carry awkwardly down those narrow stairs. None of us even looked at her ! We all just ignored her snickering. People are soooooooo psycho

On the Breeze, a man was saving 4 chairs on deck 11 for shade and 4 on deck 12 for sunshine ! He and is family move from one deck to another every 30 minutes or so !

Exactly correct. There were many many other chairs available in that smoking area--but they were off to the side where the tables and chairs are--which is why I told her to go find a chair. I found it odd for her to ask so forcefully, which is why this stuck in my head the last few years.

Not sure why a few on here want to make this some kind of horror story--and if others would like to share an intimate seating such as a loveseat, more power to them. I choose not to and that is ok too. There is no right or wrong, just what you feel comfortable with.

Went back through all your posts and it starts out with the lady asking for a spot on the love seat and walking off in a huff, a few posts later you called her demanding and in the above post you said was “acting forcefully” this story escalates every time you tell it. A couple of page from now are we going to hear that fisticuffs ensued and you slayed her with your solid gold plastic ship on a stick?

On a side note I still want to know how if you say no one will share a loveseat that a random smoker will come up to you with all of these seats around and ask to share this loveseat with you.

Edited by MediumB
Typo

Went back through all your posts and it starts out with the lady asking for a spot on the love seat and walking off in a huff, a few posts later you called her demanding and in the above post you said was “acting forcefully” this story escalates every time you tell it. A couple of page from now are we going to hear that fisticuffs ensued and you slayed her with your solid gold plastic ship on a stick?

On a side note I still want to know how if you say no one will share a loveseat that a random smoker will come up to you with all of these seats around and ask to share this loveseat with you.

here is the original post.

"My chair hogging story is a bit different.

A few years ago on the breeze, a port day that I did not get off the ship. I went up to the floor above lido to get on of those love seat things to watch the movie that was on the big screen.

I was laying on the love seat and a lady comes up and asks if I could sit up so she can sit on the loveseat too. I said "no, I am relaxing, this is a love seat and I don't even know you". She said "well this is the side people can smoke on and I need to sit down so I can smoke". '

I was flabbergasted---I told her to go smoke somewhere else in a chair she can find (I am not a smoker and certainly didn't want to share a loveseat with a stranger AND a smoker at that).

She continued to argue with me for a bit, I straight up told her to move along because I was not sharing the loveseat. She finally walked away in a huff. "

There has been no different stories at all--only by you and your cohort. And I didn't say she "acted forcefully" I said she "asked forcefully". Go ahead and re read post 122--part of you trying to make this something it wasn't in your own mind. The only one making things up is you.

This is what happened to me and I have no idea why you are obsessed with my own history? Its exactly how it happened 100%. No further escalation beyond what I originally said. Facts are facts. Why in the world would I want to make up some random story within someones thread? I asked for nothing from anyone. Think about it

When I say no one will share a loveseat...obviously is a general statement. Just like when people say " I would rather die than do (whatever people say with that)." Nobody would rather die... Its a general statement. Obviously this lady wanted to share a loveseat...its not normal to me and that is my take.

I really don't get your obsession. You can believe it or not, it changes nothing. Its what happened..a 1 minute piece of history in my life. period.

Edited by bingomamma19

Excuse me for saying acted forcefully.

Regardless, you’ve gone from

1. Asked and huffed away (not demanded or asked forcefully)

To

2 demanded (that’s escalated from asked but not as strong as asking forcefully)

To

3. Asking forcefully (that’s escalated from asking and demanding)

The only thing I’m obsessed with is you telling the story and not changing an important detail each time you tell it. At this point I’m done because you have no credibility and are not to be believed. Good day to you madam.

You've got serious issues. :(

We obviously need more smoking areas if people are hogging spots in the smoking section! #cigsinside

As much as I can’t stand cigarette smoke, based on what I’ve read in this thread, I would have to empathize with your sentiment. The last thing a nonsmoker wants is for smokers to smoke in undesignated areas. The least we nonsmokers can do is respect the few smoking areas and the smokers who are following the rules.