Seafood Shack

Megan_Strick

I agree, I went to a conference in Portsmouth, NH and our Dinner was at River House. No Mayo on that Lobster Roll.;)

Then what's that creamy white goodness binding that meat and celery together? Hmmm?

There are dozens of pictures of this mayonnaise-y delight in the River House reviews.

Screenshot_20180625-154433_Yelp.jpg

Then what's that creamy white goodness binding that meat and celery together? Hmmm?

There are dozens of pictures of this mayonnaise-y delight in the River House reviews.

Screenshot_20180625-154433_Yelp.jpg

Why must you always try to push your opinions on what others have SEEN, DONE and now TASTED? Were you there with me? I was there, there was no Mayo on mine. There was a light dressing but it wasn't Mayo because I HATE Mayo and therefore I asked before ordering.

I'm an east coaster from Halifax. Not sure I would try it for the prices, they seemed really high to me.

On the lobster roll debate, I'm only familiar with the mayo version, and I don't mind a McLobster.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm an east coaster from Halifax. Not sure I would try it for the prices, they seemed really high to me.

On the lobster roll debate, I'm only familiar with the mayo version, and I don't mind a McLobster.

Options are a good thing, next cruise try the CT way and come back and let us know.

True, hush puppies are pretty much a southern thing. I have had the kind of seafood platter you are talking about probably over 20 years ago when I went on a trip to Boston with my grandparents, it was at small place that pretty much only locals know about, and I remember that mountain of food they brought me, it was soooo good and I ate most of it (that teenage metabolism :D)

So glad you enjoyed it. Maybe you can tell me what exactly is a hush puppy, and then I will know what I am missing. LOL:D;)

We never ordered any of the fried seafood, however we have ordered the spiced/steamed shrimp and they were excellent. Though I am completely spacing on which ship we were on. I think it was when we did the Triumph out of New Orleans because I seem to remember it being the cruise my parents did after they cruised on the Vista, which was where they first saw the seafood shack.

A hushpuppy is a small, savory, deep-fried ball made from cornmeal-based batter. Hushpuppies are frequently served as a side dish with seafood and other deep-fried foods.

I guess you've never set foot in Maine or further north. Only every single restaurant and roadside shack for 500 miles from Portsmouth to Halifax use mayonnaise.

My biggest disappointment with the lobster roll, I was so looking forward to having one and then found they had mayonnaise - and I despise mayonnaise. So the other with the butter, sounds great to me LOL.

My biggest disappointment with the lobster roll, I was so looking forward to having one and then found they had mayonnaise - and I despise mayonnaise. So the other with the butter, sounds great to me LOL.

Someone up there ^^^ said they'll make you one without mayonnaise, you just have to ask for it. My experience on the Glory was that the lobster salad they use on the rolls was pre-made with mayonnaise, and not particularly good.

Someone up there ^^^ said they'll make you one without mayonnaise, you just have to ask for it. My experience on the Glory was that the lobster salad they use on the rolls was pre-made with mayonnaise, and not particularly good.

Vista offered it both ways.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So glad you enjoyed it. Maybe you can tell me what exactly is a hush puppy, and then I will know what I am missing. LOL:D;)

Well, pretty much like mom2tcdx2 said, the best ones are from local places that make their own and are more like a fritter and will have bits of Vidalia onion in them. If they are like a perfectly formed ball, they were made in a factory and not as good.

Well, pretty much like mom2tcdx2 said, the best ones are from local places that make their own and are more like a fritter and will have bits of Vidalia onion in them. If they are like a perfectly formed ball, they were made in a factory and not as good.

I'm from Georgia. A few hours from Vidalia. Where the onions come from. :D

I'm from Georgia. A few hours from Vidalia. Where the onions come from. :D

And they are some of the best onions too! :D

It's been ages ago, but I passed through there once, nothing but onion fields as far as the eye could see!

And they are some of the best onions too! :D

It's been ages ago, but I passed through there once, nothing but onion fields as far as the eye could see!

Someone told me that the best Vidalia onions come from Texas

I just shook my head and walked away. You can't make these things up

If my memory serves me correctly they are both the same price, and Seafood Shack offers 2 types of lobster rolls--a Maine lobster roll and a Connecticut lobster roll. As far as I can tell, the lobster on both is cold water lobster (the same lobster on both rolls), and the difference is the Maine lobster roll is chilled with mayo and the Connecticut lobster roll is served warm with drawn butter. The warm Connecticut is MUCH better.

Just off the Horizon and that Seafood Shack;s menu just said "Lobster Roll" - it didn't specify Connecticut or Maine. Do you just have to ask? I ordered one and got the Maine, thinking that was all they had. I would of much more preferred the one with drawn butter.

Just off the Horizon and that Seafood Shack;s menu just said "Lobster Roll" - it didn't specify Connecticut or Maine. Do you just have to ask? I ordered one and got the Maine, thinking that was all they had. I would of much more preferred the one with drawn butter.

You have to ask

The " 99 " a local restaurant Chain has Lobster Rolls on the Summer Menu and advertise both Maine and Connecticut versions

Fried foods retain oil when they are fried in oil that isn’t at the correct temperature. It has nothing to do with the type of breading.

Breaded seafood like shrimp and scallops absorbs more oil than non-breaded and the reason is the breading is more absorbent than the seafood itself.

Yummmmmmm This was on the Conquest last year

21149976_10214348100795940_1008873352619979421_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=07128c05b4dbd4fd01eb5d0b86c5208a&oe=5BE96A90

We were on the Conquest last Nov and will be on her again in Feb. 2019. May have to give the Shack a try. But I doubt it will be any better than some of the seafood places on CAPE COD especially the the fish that I catch

Breaded seafood like shrimp and scallops absorbs more oil than non-breaded and the reason is the breading is more absorbent than the seafood itself.

Who deep fries non breaded seafood??? It’s the incorrect oil temperature that makes any deep fried foods greasy.

And stay away from Fish Camps that don't serve beer and/or RC Cola and have a paved parking lot, they are no good for you. Gravel or crushed shell parking lots only, and a Budweiser and/or RC Cola sign - that is how you spot a good fish camp

You, sir, speak to my soul. Kindred spirit indeed.