Extra Tipping

8 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

100 posts beating a dead horse.  Tip. Don't tip. Use auto tips. Tip on your own.  Believe whatever baseless conspiracy theory about tips you want to.  No one is changing anyone's mind.  Do whatever you want and shut up about it....

Open discussion is a great thing.  Many cruisers might have already made up how they will tip and that's great.   Many new cruisers may not even post here on cruisecritic but come here to gain information  and learn different point of views.   

It is kind of sad when you are tired of hearing about a topic and you have to tell people to shut up and stop talking about it.   Maybe you should just move on to the next topic and let those who wish to discuss tipping, continue to share their own point of views.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, springfire said:

We usually remove the auto tips and tip in cash.  We prefer to tip in cash directly.

Seems like often discussed old topic accross many boards.

But after seeing the posted Channel4 video, and doing some more research, going forward we are going to do exactly what you have suggested.

- cancel auto-tip and tip in CASH

- tip slightly more to lower end staff

On 6/27/2018 at 10:57 AM, JMTtor said:

For those of you saying "I won't tip extra since the cruise lines started adding automatic gratuities," allow me to offer an alternate perspective:

First, from people in the industry, the cruise lines don't give all of those auto-tips to the people serving you on your cruise; they skim some off the top for themselves.

Second, your decision not to tip "because the cruise line thinks it knows better" punishes the workers, not the cruise line. The workers have to do their jobs regardless of whether you auto-tip, tip according to your own concept, or - since the lines allow passengers to remove the auto-gratuities and there are those lowlifes who remove the auto-tips from their bills - don't give ANY tips, so the hardworking service staff are stiffed.

The cabin attendants, waitstaff, and others work their tails off for peanuts, and for those who provide service above and beyond, ANYTHING extra - even if it's a measly dollar a day - will absolutely make the service person's day. I always give some cash, handed DIRECTLY to the service person, on the last day or two of the cruise (and sometimes, if I'm enjoying a particular bar or bartender, I'll give some bucks on the first day or two, because you'll be remembered and get great service!). Always tip a buck or two for room service, too.

You'd tip a buck at Starbucks for someone who's spent under five minutes making you a specialty drink. Why on earth would you think it's okay to go cheap when someone's been working for you long hours for days on end? Just my thoughts; YMMV. 🙂

Well said!  I couldn't greet more!

On 1/18/2020 at 9:39 AM, springfire said:

Open discussion is a great thing.  Many cruisers might have already made up how they will tip and that's great.   Many new cruisers may not even post here on cruisecritic but come here to gain information  and learn different point of views.   

It is kind of sad when you are tired of hearing about a topic and you have to tell people to shut up and stop talking about it.   Maybe you should just move on to the next topic and let those who wish to discuss tipping, continue to share their own point of views.

No. the reality is there really aren't 100 "theories" on tipping.  It's basically all been shared already. Anyone coming on here and describing what they do serves no purpose but to stoke their own ego.  And anyone coming on here and asking is just not interested in taking the time to read the thread.  I can't blame them though, because it has become so lengthy.