Review of Boston/Bermuda June 16, 2018 - Part II

jode

We did the MDR twice for breakfast but other days used the Lido.

I was concerned by several comments I had read about:

Slow elevators –

not on this cruise. We often had to scurry to hop on the elevator once we pressed the button. Of course for embarkation we had to wait but it was only about five minutes.

Food not hot enough –

food is very subjective and although we like good food we are not food snobs and find fault over something minor. We found the food to be quite warm – one evening the soup was so hot I had to wait for it to cool (it was butternut and absolutely delish!). Breakfast was usually an omelet and in about 20 cruises we have taken this station was the quickest I have experienced. There was always no more than two people ahead of me and the cook was doing two at a time so the wait was nothing. They had a wide variety of items to add to your omelet – more than I experienced on Princess last year. The coffee in the MDR was very hot at all times – maybe we were lucky but coffee served in Lido was always hot too.

We never had a problem with finding something either in Lido or MDR to our liking – often there were too many things that appealed to us. One night nothing jumped out on the regular menu so I ordered the “nightly” sirloin which was tender and tasty!!

Not enough tables in Lido –

We never had to “walk around with our food looking for a table” as others had commented.

I will be on the “sold out ship” on July 28. Any suggestions for the lack of tables in the Lido? Could you elaborate on your comments about the Pinnacle? Thanks

Would you recommend Holland America?

I would recommend HAL - but only if it suits your style. Smaller ship - more classic than flashy. Not much to do at night but we were ok with that. Even in our younger days we were not the up all night party type. Lots of nice quiet corners with live music or just to sit and read, relax. There was only one pool and we were used to one primarily for kids and one for adults. Although there were not many kids on this cruise they did seem to take over the pool on occasion. If that is important then maybe another ship with more than one pool would be better for you. We found the food to be very good - nice presentation and the only thing I would not recommend is the lemon trifle - lots of lemon but no trifle! More like a dish of lemon filling with a gummy aftertaste. All the other desserts were wonderful and I have the three pounds to prove it !

I will be on the “sold out ship” on July 28. Any suggestions for the lack of tables in the Lido? Could you elaborate on your comments about the Pinnacle? Thanks

Our cruise was also "sold out" as it was the last one to Bermuda for a while. We never had a problem finding a table in the Lido - we ate inside the Lido for breakfast and often were the only two at a table for six. Lunch was always outside - and we preferred a table in the shade and again never had a problem finding a table. We never ate at the Pinnacle so cannot comment on that - maybe someone who has can help you.