Changing money

propwash

Never heard of any ATM that issues coins. Maybe there are, but never received coins.

You always want to use an ATM that is at a bank, preferably IN the bank, for better security. And, if needed, you can go into the bank and get change if you need it..

None of the bancomats we used issued coins, only paper money. That being said, I recommend you don’t use the bancomats that are kiosks, but actually at a bank. We found that they may be outside the bank, but if we went together, we didn’t find any problems with these.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I assume that there are ATMs around the Civitavecchia cruise entrance for getting some paper and coin EUROs that use US bank atm cards. Any particular ones to use?

Thanks

Danny

I did not see any ATM in port and I never saw ATM gives coins.

I always buy Euros from my bank (Chase) before I leave, no fee. I don't bring too much, just enough for tips etc. You can almost always use a cc for everything. Many cards do not charge foreign transaction fees.

I assume that there are ATMs around the Civitavecchia cruise entrance for getting some paper and coin EUROs that use US bank atm cards. Any particular ones to use?

Thanks

Danny

Our experience was that Italy is full of ATMs...in secure locations...you won't have any trouble.

My preference is to find and use a bank connected ATM in the airport while I am waiting for baggage claim.

This is how a travel partner comes in handy....he/she can wait for bags while I go find and use an ATM.

I always buy Euros from my bank (Chase) before I leave, no fee.

There may be no fee, but you get a worse exchange rate than you do in the ATMs. That's how the bank makes its money for delivering the money to you at your branch office.

We get euros via AAA or the bank in the US. No fee and they will give smaller bills. We took care of it before a recent cruise. No worries once we were in Europe. Also broke a 5 right way to always have euro coins in our pocket for the

W. C. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We get euros via AAA or the bank in the US. No fee and they will give smaller bills. We took care of it before a recent cruise. No worries once we were in Europe. Also broke a 5 right way to always have euro coins in our pocket for the W. C. :)

The bank gets a big commission either way. They might call it a fee (which people don't like) or they give you a worse exchange rate than the official bank rate. At the end, you pay the same extra amount for the convenience regardless of what they call it. At today's rate, $100 = 86 euros. If AAA or the US bank gives you only 80 euros for your $100, it doesn't matter if they call it a 6 euro ($7) fee or their "exchange rate."

If you want to see the current bank exchange rates go to www.xe.com. Then decide how much your bank is really charging you for the transaction. The bank ATMs in Europe tack on a much smaller mark up than the US banks or AAA. In fact, it is very close to the official bank rate.

Edited by marazul