What Am I Missing By Not Sailing W/HAL?

There are many differing opinions & preconceptions about HAL and the other cruise lines but IMHO there is only one significant factual difference - only HAL has a Roman Catholic priest (who celebrates daily Mass) on board every one of its cruises. Because spiritual renewal is an important component of our vacation experience, HAL is our hands-down choice. YMMV
Some Celebrity ships have a Catholic priest, who celebrates mass

One thing you won't miss is having to stand for 25 mins shoulder to shoulder on the promenade deck for the safety drill.

HAL has the worse setup for this. Other ships have ya inside and sitting.

Otherwise HAL is great for Alaska with their new hotel complex.

We have cruiseed on Carnival, NCL, RCI several times each and have never witnessed drunks or been bothered by particularly loud noise.

Mind you, some people find live music, steel band or otherwise, poolside loud and offensive.

It is the usual uninformed comment about loud music, drunks, hairy chest competitions, rock climbing etc. I sometimes wonder if some cruisers would prefer to spend their vacation in an adults only funeral home or in a library.

I agree. I love a cruise that's full of life and entertainment

One thing you won't miss is having to stand for 25 mins shoulder to shoulder on the promenade deck for the safety drill.

HAL has the worse setup for this. Other ships have ya inside and sitting.

Otherwise HAL is great for Alaska with their new hotel complex.

HAL has the best set up for safety drills, because they ensure everyone is out on deck and accounted for. Safety drills are not passenger entertainment. They are safety drills for the crew, to ensure each passenger has gotten to an outside deck when necessary. Which is why it is important for passengers to follow instructions, stay quiet and not be tardy or premature in their arrival either. They need to time how well the crew accomplishes this task. Please give them your attention and thanks, and less snark and irritation.

Re the chaplain - my parents started cruising when my dad retired in the 1970’s. He was a Rabbi and through a connection got hooked up for an occasional chaplain gig. They continued cruising throughout their lives (Mom went on for 20 years after Dad passed and ended her life as a 4 star Mariner).

HAL has the best set up for safety drills, because they ensure everyone is out on deck and accounted for. Safety drills are not passenger entertainment. They are safety drills for the crew, to ensure each passenger has gotten to an outside deck when necessary. Which is why it is important for passengers to follow instructions, stay quiet and not be tardy or premature in their arrival either. They need to time how well the crew accomplishes this task. Please give them your attention and thanks, and less snark and irritation.
Especially after the Concordia sinking.

It was the 2nd most liked ship in the Costa fleet.

Some Celebrity ships have a Catholic priest, who celebrates mass

You may be correct that "ome Celebrity ships have a Catholic priest, who celebrates mass" but only HAL has a priest on every one of its cruises.

I have been on other lines that don't make you stand outside for 25 mins. NCL Bliss was wonderful and took great care to make sure everyone listened. They made the entire theatre hush and listen.

I have talked to many folks on this subject and MANY folks hate HAL's way of doing it.

All ships take this serious but one doesn't need to be treated like cattle. RCI, NCL and Disney are serious about safety, but the find a nicer way of doing it and let folks sit down.

We have found the safety drills on Princess and HAL to be identical. Cabins emptied, rosters checked..

I do not see much difference between classic interiors or contemporary interiors when it comes to a aura of quality. I think that it very much depends on one's personal taste and preferences. We have seen lots of good and no so good examples of both.

I have been in many older style hotels that were equally dark and 'classy'. In some of them the rooms were past tired and in desperate need of renovation. Only the lobby and public areas were kept up to that bygone standard. We really like a ship that has an large open, atrium and well lit, light coloured decor. Nothing worse for us than feeling boxed in by dark wood and brass.

Edited by iancal

Does HAL have a good mix of age groups, for some reason I associate HAL with above 65 years of age?

Some body mentioned "classic" (decor) of the ships, so classic means tasteful but not like out dated?

I find the decor dark and dated. Old fashioned. I have not been on the newest ship Kdam.

We have found the safety drills on Princess and HAL to be identical. Cabins emptied, rosters checked..

I haven't been on all classes of Princess ships but on Ruby, Caribbean and Regal, we mustered inside.

On that note HAL no longer musters outside on all their ships. My muster station on K'dam was in the theater.

Does HAL have a good mix of age groups, for some reason I associate HAL with above 65 years of age?

Some body mentioned "classic" (decor) of the ships, so classic means tasteful but not like out dated?

Both your perceptions are reasonably correct. In that case, I do think you need to keep looking for another cruise line. This is probably not what you are looking for. But if you want to try to find something "younger and more stylish" in the HAL fleet, take a look at the newer ones - Konigsdam and Neiuw Statendam. They are the ones trying to play catch up to the other more trendy mainstream cruise lines, but not go as far as the big mega ships.

HAL ships are low key, a bit fusty in decor though this is improving and ....classic in an old school sort of way. Their big selling point is they are quieter while still providing very good value and always interesting new itinerary combinations. They are more for the self-contained travellers, and often for those who are older who do like the quiet charms of these more ...classic ... ships. They work for a lot of us, but don't work at all for many others.

I would say HAL ships are for those who care more about where they go; not how they go. Which is not to demean or degrade the product at all. Just a different emphasis.

Both your perceptions are reasonably correct. In that case, I do think you need to keep looking for another cruise line. This is probably not what you are looking for. But if you want to try to find something "younger and more stylish" in the HAL fleet, take a look at the newer ones - Konigsdam and Neiuw Statendam. They are the ones trying to play catch up to the other more trendy mainstream cruise lines, but not go as far as the big mega ships.

HAL ships are low key, a bit fusty in decor though this is improving and ....classic in an old school sort of way. Their big selling point is they are quieter while still providing very good value and always interesting new itinerary combinations. They are more for the self-contained travellers, and often for those who are older who do like the quiet charms of these more ...classic ... ships. They work for a lot of us, but don't work at all for many others.

I would say HAL ships are for those who care more about where they go; not how they go. Which is not to demean or degrade the product at all. Just a different emphasis.

Awesome, thanks for capsulation Salt!!

I am anxiously awaiting the first reports and photos of the Niew Statandam!

Maybe more than the OP is asking for??? But I am going to mention some very specifics.

While I would agree that a decor theme of darker woods and a more traditional appearance are no better or worse than something lighter or more updated.... Which is a matter of personal preference.

From what I am seeing of the Koningsdam, with the newer look/decor... I am not sure, at all, that HAL's efforts at updating are not a step down.

HAL is promoting their Music Walk with B.B.Kings... So, not totally geared for the older demographic.

Again, however, I am not so sure that the Theater in the Round - as it seems to be being utilized, and the fact that Billboard on Board seems to be just another piano bar, are much of a step-up???? Both of these are probably open to much debate!!!

I am hearing a lot of comments about how excellent some of the specialty restaurants are!

I find the decor dark and dated. Old fashioned. I have not been on the newest ship Kdam.

Pre-redo,I would have said that about several of HAL's ships.. but they are not going to please anyone(especially the diehards) by lightening the decor.

We have cruiseed on Carnival, NCL, RCI several times each and have never witnessed drunks or been bothered by particularly loud noise.

Mind you, some people find live music, steel band or otherwise, poolside loud and offensive.

It is the usual uninformed comment about loud music, drunks, hairy chest competitions, rock climbing etc. I sometimes wonder if some cruisers would prefer to spend their vacation in an adults only funeral home or in a library.

Wow! Just because we don’t “appreciate” the baser, low class entertainment like hairy chest competitions or twerking contests, we belong in a funeral home???? Sounds like you’re in the wrong forum! Feel free to shake your booty in the lower class cruise lines and keep your comments about HAL cruisers to yourself! [emoji483]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not an expert, but...

my husband and I started sailing with HAL when we were in our 40s, now in our 50s, and have always met people from various ages on our cruises.

We are neither the oldest or youngest on our cruises.

YMMV

I have been on other lines that don't make you stand outside for 25 mins. NCL Bliss was wonderful and took great care to make sure everyone listened. They made the entire theatre hush and listen.

I have talked to many folks on this subject and MANY folks hate HAL's way of doing it.

All ships take this serious but one doesn't need to be treated like cattle. RCI, NCL and Disney are serious about safety, but the find a nicer way of doing it and let folks sit down.

Really??? If the 25 minute process for the muster drill is enough for you to choose a different cruise line, by all means, feel free to choose other than HAL. I can’t believe the “first world” problems people think are important enough to complain about! Get real people! Heaven forbid 25 minutes of your expensive vacation was “wasted” standing outside on the deck of a cruise ship!

Sounds like you have not been on any HAL ship lately. The new decor in the dry docked ships is a lot lighter, even the gaming tables on the Zaandam are now ivory colored. HAL is definitely getting its act together decor wise over the past few years. Still "classic" but much fresher than in the past. The only really "dark" ship I recall was the deep purple, burgundy and mahogany look paneling of the Zuiderdam, but that got changed years ago.

Wow! Just because we don’t “appreciate” the baser, low class entertainment like hairy chest competitions or twerking contests, we belong in a funeral home???? Sounds like you’re in the wrong forum! Feel free to shake your booty in the lower class cruise lines and keep your comments about HAL cruisers to yourself! [emoji483]

Well said!

Really??? If the 25 minute process for the muster drill is enough for you to choose a different cruise line, by all means, feel free to choose other than HAL. I can’t believe the “first world” problems people think are important enough to complain about! Get real people! Heaven forbid 25 minutes of your expensive vacation was “wasted” standing outside on the deck of a cruise ship!

Wow this is your 2nd snippy comment reply on this thread. You must own HAL stock as you act like a mama bear defending HAL against any negatives.

I travel on many cruise lines and trust me Hal needs to improve their safety drills

They dont need to line up 10 deep and push short people to the back and roll call names loudly. They need to scan seapass cards and treat people nicer. I have witness elderly people not being treated so nice.

On the Ncl Bliss we were shown and told mamy more interesting things in regard to safety while sitting. They also were very strict about talking during drill. People listened.

BTW I never said to not travel on HAL but I just answered the OP.

Wow this is your 2nd snippy comment reply on this thread. You must own HAL stock as you act like a mama bear defending HAL against any negatives.

I travel on many cruise lines and trust me Hal needs to improve their safety drills

They dont need to line up 10 deep and push short people to the back and roll call names loudly. They need to scan seapass cards and treat people nicer. I have witness elderly people not being treated so nice.

On the Ncl Bliss we were shown and told mamy more interesting things in regard to safety while sitting. They also were very strict about talking during drill. People listened.

BTW I never said to not travel on HAL but I just answered the OP.

Not anymore snippy than the comments I’ve been replying to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The thing keeping me from Carnival?The seizure inducing decor.