Cash vs card

T.Swift

Besides tipping approximately how much US cash should someone bring for a cruise through the Mexican Riviera. I am assuming about 50 bucks or so for taxi rides would everything else be put on a card for dinners, drinks and what not

Cash is better if you plan on shopping as you can get better price. Also necessary for taxis, tipping, small purchases etc.

DW is a shopper, so I bring 500.00+ and convert 1/2 to pesos.

Vendors ALWAYS prefer cash.

I only use a credit card in Mexico for high priced items I buy in a store.

We don't spend for "dinner" in Mexico as we usually eat on the ship.

Even still we'd bring at least $500 USA and we have pesos too.

You don't have to spend all your money but I'd have cash with me.

Besides tipping approximately how much US cash should someone bring for a cruise through the Mexican Riviera. I am assuming about 50 bucks or so for taxi rides would everything else be put on a card for dinners, drinks and what not

How much cash to bring is a very difficult question to answer. How much do you have at your disposal?

There is absolutely no reason to change your currency in Mexico. You will lose more money on the exchange and exchange back, everyone takes dollars.

At roughly 20 pesos to the dollar, i just feel richer converting to pesos!

50 bucks does not sound like nearly enough even for just two people for an entire cruise. How many ports? Like the others have said, you are going to want to use cash instead of cards to the extent possible. I would think for two people, minimum $100 per port, assuming no dinner. Like the others, when I cruise, for two people I usually come off the ship with $200 cash unless I have something I am actually planning on buying.

There is absolutely no reason to change your currency in Mexico. You will lose more money on the exchange and exchange back, everyone takes dollars.

My daughter and her Mexican boyfriend frequently spend time in Mexico because his family has a second home there. Her boyfriend and his family recommend bringing some pesos with you because you can get a better deal from vendors using pesos. Vendors will quote a higher price if using dollars. Some vendors are “creative” when it comes to exchange rates. Based on their experiences, we will be bringing pesos and dollars.

there are many conversion apps for phones, they definitely want your U.S. dollars more than their pesos.

Which is why I put the word “creative” in quotes because a lot of vendors are not using conversion apps. I’ll take the advice and real life experiences of my daughter’s Mexican boyfriend & Mexican family. But to each their own.

There is this thing called the "dumb tourist". The reason someone in another country will take USD is because, they know exactly what the exchange rate is, and will happily quote you a price in excess of what it is. Why you ask? Well, they know how to work over the "dumb tourist" who thinks, USD is accepted around the world, and if they collect enough on a weekly basis, they know they can make a 10 - 20% profit on the exchange.

When you travel, there are only two ways to pay for your goods, or food. That is in the currency of where you are, or by credit card. Either way, you get the real price. Use cash, and you will get ripped off. I once watched someone pay $50.00 for something that the price tag said $32.00.

The best story I heard was a person paid $100.00 for a taxi ride that I paid only $16.00 for. The difference was, I used local currency, and they actually thought the meter was in USD. You think that taxi driver had any issue with the exchange rate at his bank? He made at least an $80.00 tip for his trouble.

There is this thing called the "dumb tourist". The reason someone in another country will take USD is because, they know exactly what the exchange rate is, and will happily quote you a price in excess of what it is. Why you ask? Well, they know how to work over the "dumb tourist" who thinks, USD is accepted around the world, and if they collect enough on a weekly basis, they know they can make a 10 - 20% profit on the exchange. .

This is exactly what my daughter’s boyfriend and family said happens.

Not true, as long as you do your research! And, knowing about your ports BEFORE you arrive is key.

To the original question...bring MORE cash than you think you'll need....you can redeposit it into your bank when you get home. Better to have it, than not!

And, call your credit card companies and let them know where you're traveling...and when you'll be there, so they don't put a fraud hold on your accounts!

I am in the minority that would rather use credit when possible. I always carry enough cash for taxis, and some vendors, usually about $200. Everything else goes on the card. I've yet to see a "discount" for cash. The exchange rate confuses some people to lose more. My credit card has no foreign exchange fees, great rewards, and 0 liability if lost or stolen. Cash does none of those things except for make some people feel better. I've read one too many stories of people losing $1000+ one way or another while on a trip.

I am in the minority that would rather use credit when possible. I always carry enough cash for taxis, and some vendors, usually about $200. Everything else goes on the card. I've yet to see a "discount" for cash. The exchange rate confuses some people to lose more. My credit card has no foreign exchange fees, great rewards, and 0 liability if lost or stolen. Cash does none of those things except for make some people feel better. I've read one too many stories of people losing $1000+ one way or another while on a trip.

This. Plus we have some cash on hand for extra tips for wait staff and steward as warranted. Unless a shore excursion requires payment in US cash, we use Venture whenever we can.