Gatwick to South Kensington

cft8

We are spending 9 days in London before our cruise in August. I'm being indecisive about how to get from Gatwick to our hotel in South Kensington (near Gloucester Road tube).

It will be on a Friday, and our flight lands at 6:30am. There are two of us and we will probably have one fairly large spinner bag each, plus a piece of rolling hand luggage.

Using the site https://www.minicabit.com I have found that I can get a private car for a reasonable amount more than 2 tickets on the Gatwick Express plus the tube fare from Victoria to Gloucester Road.

I'm leaning towards the car, because it seems like a hassle to get to the train and then change to the tube and then walk 6 blocks to the hotel when we are tired. I recently had knee surgery and I'm still rehabbing from that, although we have 7 more weeks before the trip so who knows. (We are in our 40s and generally pretty fit; I tore my ACL in a skiing accident this spring.)

Friends have pointed out that the train is faster because of rush hour traffic, but we are not really going to be in any hurry to get to the hotel and as long as we have prepaid the car and there won't be an extra fee if it takes a long time I don't see the downside.

Train then taxi might be a good compromise.

I'm not too worried about the money. I mean I am not going to pay 100s of pounds for a limo or anything, but my biggest concern is what's the least amount of effort, which is why I was leaning toward a car.

If we're going to do the train, I don't mind paying for the Gatwick Express. But, we'll be tired (my doctors want me to get up every 2 hours on the flight and walk around due to blood clots, so I won't get much sleep) and I'd rather not tax my knee right from the start with a bunch of walking, especially if I also have to wrangle my luggage. DH and I already decided that we might have to throw a bit more money at taxis on this trip rather than walking, depending on how my knee is doing.

We used a company called Blackberry Cars for our recent car service. Although we flew into Heathrow I would assume they serve Gatwick. Very easy to get quote on their website, and you can prepay if you want to (we did). No hidden charges, driver and vehicle very good. We used them for transportation to Southampton too. Would highly recommend Them.

We are 60’s and early 70’s and no longer wish to be schlepping our luggage on and off trains and public transportation, unless it’s the only option!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The downside of driving from Gatwick to central London is that you may die of some combination of boredom/frustration/apoplexy.

I did Gatwick-central London once. I swore never again. I've navigated enough back roads in Streatham and Tooting Bec to last a lifetime.

Train then taxi might be a good compromise.

I'm not too worried about the money. I mean I am not going to pay 100s of pounds for a limo or anything, but my biggest concern is what's the least amount of effort, which is why I was leaning toward a car.

If we're going to do the train, I don't mind paying for the Gatwick Express. But, we'll be tired (my doctors want me to get up every 2 hours on the flight and walk around due to blood clots, so I won't get much sleep) and I'd rather not tax my knee right from the start with a bunch of walking, especially if I also have to wrangle my luggage. DH and I already decided that we might have to throw a bit more money at taxis on this trip rather than walking, depending on how my knee is doing.

Mom has bad knees, so I know all about making allowances while travelling. I wouldn't hesitate to take the train/taxi - best combo of convenience and comfort. The key is to only bring as much luggage as you can handle - both for the train ride and to aid your knee, quite frankly.

Yes, train (frequent) to Victoria, then a taxi (about 3 kilometres) to Gloucester Road.

Be aware you will likely arrive at your hotel around 9:30 am -ish, so you should make arrangements with the hotel to stow your bags if they cannot check you in until later in the day.

If your jet lag is not too bad, there are lots of things to see & do in the area, as I expect you have already found out.

We are 60’s and early 70’s and no longer wish to be schlepping our luggage on and off trains and public transportation, unless it’s the only option!

I am in my 40s and feel the same way.

I took Smiths for Airports from my South Kensington hotel to Gatwick in May, and they'll do the reverse. It is much more relaxing to get in a car after the long flight and have someone take you directly where you need to go. :)

Yes, train (frequent) to Victoria, then a taxi (about 3 kilometres) to Gloucester Road.

Be aware you will likely arrive at your hotel around 9:30 am -ish, so you should make arrangements with the hotel to stow your bags if they cannot check you in until later in the day.

If your jet lag is not too bad, there are lots of things to see & do in the area, as I expect you have already found out.

Yes, we are the organizers of a large group and the hotel has already said that they will make an effort to have rooms ready early but if not that they will store luggage. Our plan is to stay up even if our room is ready so we have an itinerary mapped out for the day to keep us moving around. I’m a Project Manager for work and I don’t leave that mentality at the office so I have been thinking about what to see on what days for a while now! Only 7 weeks to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in my 40s and feel the same way.

I took Smiths for Airports from my South Kensington hotel to Gatwick in May, and they'll do the reverse. It is much more relaxing to get in a car after the long flight and have someone take you directly where you need to go. :)

It’s a very good point, well made. Those of us who live locally and have great familiarity with public transport etc perhaps sometimes underestimate this.

But sitting in a car from Gatwick, knowing I could have got in to town in a quarter of the time, would be far from relaxing for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums