Specific Food Questions - Sea Day Brunch

emory2001

I'm not usually a big fan of breakfast/brunch (don't like eggs, yogurt, oatmeal, or pancakes). I found a Sea Day Brunch menu online and I'm wondering about the quality of the following, which are usually what I would choose:

* Is the corned beef hash from a can, or does it seem made from scratch?

* Are the cheese grits thick or thin? Are they good?

* How is the chicken sausage?

* What style are the hash browns and are they good (i.e. shredded, patty, tater tots, etc.)?

* What kind of fruit is available?

I can help with some of your items on the Sea Day Brunch menue.

The hash browns are a pre-made round patty...about the size of a silver dollar..ish. They were fine, no bad, not great.....I think there are 3 to a serving.

I’ve never had the opportunity to try grits before, so I did! I wasn’t really a fan. It might have been better if it were made with milk (if that’s even a thing), I thought it was watery/thin and bland. After it sat for a bit, it thickened up a bit and with the cheese on top it was a bit better (but I won’t order again).

They do have a fruit plate on the menue....ours was grapes, kiwi, strawberries, melons and I think pineapple. It’s not a large serving, but we did split it between 2 ppl as we had full breakfast ordered.

The hash is not made from scratch, think Libby's brand.

I like grits and the cheese grits have cheddar cooked in them which is fine but then they toss a slice of American cheese on top and place the monkey dish with the grits in it under the salamander for 15 seconds to melt the cheese slice. This is cheese overkill in my opinion so I scrape the American off to the side to get to the goodness within. Mine have always been served between loose (not watery but will fall off the spoon) and al dente ( think Joe Pesci in My Cousin Vinny) which is just the consistency I like my grits to be.

You didn't ask but if you are a steak eater the petite filet mignon served at Sunday Brunch is the most tender piece of beef that is included in your cruise fare.

The "hash browns" are a frozen riced potato product formed as the previous member posted into silver dollar sized discs a.k.a. smooshed tater tots.

I watch my fat grams and find the chicken sausage acceptable at best. One thing is the two chubby links portion is never hot when it arrives at the table so now I know to politely ask when ordering that I want the chicken sausage served extra hot. Still, it's not pork sausage but I don't want the extra fat grams in the morning so this is why I say it's acceptable.

DSC_3481.JPG

iframe>

Here are the chicken sausage and hash brown products together in one dish:

DSC_0017.JPG

Edited by sanmarcosman

I'm not usually a big fan of breakfast/brunch (don't like eggs, yogurt, oatmeal, or pancakes). I found a Sea Day Brunch menu online and I'm wondering about the quality of the following, which are usually what I would choose:

* Is the corned beef hash from a can, or does it seem made from scratch? Taste like scratch

* Are the cheese grits thick or thin? Are they good? Flip a coin on any given day it's a toss up :D

* How is the chicken sausage? It ain't pork ;p

* What style are the hash browns and are they good (i.e. shredded, patty, tater tots, etc.)? There good

shredded, patty, tater tots, seems to be served differently on different ships .

* What kind of fruit is available?

Watermelon , peaches , oranges, cantaloupe and so forth.

Served differently in the MDR vs Buffet.

I am a steak eater. Thanks for the tip!

My husband and I have heard good things about the steak & eggs dish, and the omelettes. I also plan on ordering the Masala Dosa (Carnival describes as a breakfast crepe). I absolutely love Masala Dosa in Indian restaurants and have heard that Carnival does Indian food well!

I also plan on ordering the Masala Dosa (Carnival describes as a breakfast crepe). I absolutely love Masala Dosa in Indian restaurants and have heard that Carnival does Indian food well!

That dish is not served at the Seaday Brunch but rather on the new port day menu served only in the MDR. Early reviews are good and we're looking forward to trying the new port day menu in February.

That dish is not served at the Seaday Brunch but rather on the new port day menu served only in the MDR. Early reviews are good and we're looking forward to trying the new port day menu in February.

Thanks for clearing that up! We will have to get off a little later because I am not missing it!

We didn't like the chicken sausage. My wife likes the hash. When the Seaday Brunch first came out they had a breakfast burrito which was very good but unfortunately it didn't' last long and was cut. The brunch breakfast burrito was far better than the one at Blue Iguana.

The chicken sausage displayed on this thread was not the chicken sausage I had on the Liberty. It was good, a great substitute for turkey or beef sausage. I honestly wouldn’t have noticed the difference in taste or appearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The chicken sausage displayed on this thread was not the chicken sausage I had on the Liberty. It was good, a great substitute for turkey or beef sausage. I honestly wouldn’t have noticed the difference in taste or appearance.

The Liberty ran out and they slipped you pork sausage ;)

Steak and eggs gets my vote. I like the small serving of spinach that comes with it, although the thin sliced potatoes with it are bland and not very good. And you can order the mac and cheese as a side even though it's on the menu as an entrée. Some ships will bring a smaller portion of the mac and cheese, but other ships bring the whole entrée. Besides the round hash brown others mentioned, some entrees come with crispy spiral cut fried potatoes in a paper lined glass. Those are good.

The fiery roasted tomato soup served at brunch is YUM! You have to try it.

You don't eat eggs, but the hollandaise sauce would make cardboard taste good, IMHO! Order it on the side to put on anything!

Another vote for the steak...

If you like avocados, the avocado toast is pretty good.

I may be strange but I like the hash! and the hash browns!

One of my favorite things to have at the start of brunch is croissants with guava jelly... since I moved from Florida I can't find the guava jelly very often so I treat myself every brunch!

Edited by Shaded Lady
spelling

The Liberty ran out and they slipped you pork sausage ;)

Our chicken sausage on the ship’s out of Long Beach wasn’t pale like the ones in the picture. They were browner and had a decent taste. Thicker than the pork sausage.

Thanks for clearing that up! We will have to get off a little later because I am not missing it!

Port day breakfast usually opens around 6:30-7am. No reason to be late to port.

On the Inspiration it was very good, just a bit different than our local vegetarian Indian place.

At dinner—If you’re a meat eater you can order a Non-vegetarian Indian meal the night before. One night we had fish. Very good.

Port day breakfast usually opens around 6:30-7am. No reason to be late to port.

On the Inspiration it was very good, just a bit different than our local vegetarian Indian place.

At dinner—If you’re a meat eater you can order a Non-vegetarian Indian meal the night before. One night we had fish. Very good.

That’s great! Thank you for letting me know the time. Yes, I had already heard about the Indian meal at dinner and planned on ordering it. Indian is my favorite food but not my husband’s which makes eating it on land a challenge. If it is as good as my friends say, I will most likely eat Indian every time we eat dinner in the MDR!

That’s great! Thank you for letting me know the time. Yes, I had already heard about the Indian meal at dinner and planned on ordering it. Indian is my favorite food but not my husband’s which makes eating it on land a challenge. If it is as good as my friends say, I will most likely eat Indian every time we eat dinner in the MDR!

Considering many of the cooks are Indian there’s a good chance of them getting it right!

Book a ship that has the Tandoor, it’s open every day for lunch.