TK grill, ultimate menu?

rols

(my second post of the day, our cruise is getting closer).

I've seen quite a few reviews of the TK grill and they've been pretty mixed. For instance last week I saw a picture of a lovely kurubota pork chop which had been cooked to the point of extinction (someone should send that picture to Mr Keller), I read just today of an asparagus special which was overcooked and an artichoke which was hard.

I've also seen reviews of great chicken, perfect steak, a myriad of quality on the salads and a mix of total enjoyment and general disappointment.

Is there yet a consensus of what dishes are consistently must-try at the TK grill, what dishes are a bit hit and miss and if there are any that just never seem to work? We have two reservations on our 14 nighter and love to try the offerings which tend to work out the best.

Supplementary question .. we're not massive eaters and find the usual Restaurant evening portions plenty. As we hate wasting food should we consider ordering just one entree at TK between us, we get the impression they are quite sizeable.

I've found that the roasted chicken is consistently excellent. Though it's described as serving two people, it could easily be shared by three.

I've also found that the the steak (huge portion -- enough for two) and lobster thermadore are consistently very good.

I tried the kurubota pork chop once -- I wouldn't order it again.

For me the star dish is the roasted chicken, with it we usually order the sides the carrots and the mashed potato.

I also enjoy the steak. Both are consistent.

I wasn't keen on the lobster thermidor. The Dover Sole has been very hit and miss in my experience.

The coconut layer cake is fabulous. The rest of it didn't impress us at all. We ate there with new friends met on board. We had another reservation but cancelled it. Main restaurant much better when we sailed the Odyssey in February.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

rols, the portions are very generous, but of course how full you feel will depend on how many courses you order.

Like you, DH and I typically found the MDR portions just fine but we are neither young, large, superactive, nor hyperthyroid, so our caloric needs are relatively low.

In TK, DH enjoyed the steak and finished it, but it was very big after our having eaten the big caesar salad and very nice bread. Then for dessert there was just no room so we took cookies in a bag to our suite for DH’s midnight sweer tooth.

I liked the sole a lot. Once when I ordered steak and had lots of leftover, I just had them put the chunk into foil for my fridge and finished it as a delicious cold steak sandwich with bread the next day for light lunch on our veranda, to avoid wasting precious animal meat, something engrained in me from childhood by parents who suffered food shortages during the war in Europe.

A Brit on board hated the lamb, called it “mutton” , but maybe he got a bad cut.

What I most disliked is the loud let’s-be-cool music, chosen by TK, and the noise level gets worse as the evening goes on with the room full of happy tipsy pax, so our reservations for TK this year are for early dining as we do not like yelling to hear ourselves.

I hope you have a wonderful time!

A Brit on board hated the lamb, called it “mutton” , but maybe he got a bad cut.

What I most disliked is the loud let’s-be-cool music, chosen by TK, and the noise level gets worse as the evening goes on with the room full of happy tipsy pax, so our reservations for TK this year are for early dining as we do not like yelling to hear ourselves.

We dined in TK on Quest one night with some new English friends that we met onboard. They were both farmers and were horrified that 18 month sheep was called "lamb" definitely "mutton" they said:o

However, apparently it depends where you live:-

Quote Wikipedia:-https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamb_and_mutton

• Mutton — a female (ewe) or castrated male (wether) sheep having more than two permanent incisors in wear.

United States

The terms "mutton" and "hogget" are uncommon in the United States.[7] Federal statutes and regulations dealing with food labeling in the United States permit all sheep products to be marketed as "lamb. "[8] Sheep products less than 12-14 months old can be labeled "prime lamb" or "choice lamb" and all other sheep meat can be labeled simply as "lamb."[9]

As for the too loud, not-good-for-relaxed-eating-type-music; I always ask for it to be turned down.;)

We are just home from the Ovation (21 days) and during that time, we dined in the TK Grill four times (three were our own reservations) and the fourth time with friends. Unlike some others, we really disliked the chicken. For us, it was way too salty and somewhat tough. Of course food likes and dislikes are highly subjective.

What we did like was the sole, the steak, and the prawns as appetizers. I was not blown away by the Caesar salad. We did like the carrots, mushrooms and the spinach.

On a prior cruise, I tried the Eggplant Parmesan and would not recommend it.