Getaway Delay / Crew Member Overboard

shwabob

I contacted the shuttle service I’m using and they are saying the port of Miami schedule that is updated by the coast guard is showing arrival between 10- 1pm. I found a site for port of miami Biscayne Bay pilots schedule for ports and it’s showing arrival of the getaway at 10 am. It was just updated a little bit ago. Just wish NCL would provide us better info.

I agree that a more accurate schedule update would be very nice, however, it appears they have not yet reached the location of the event, therefore, how can they give a more accurate time for arrival in the Miami port. Hopefully, they will determine the timeline and give more accurate info in the morning. Be sure to check the website if no emial is rec'd.

Good luck and hope you have a great cruise.

I contacted the shuttle service I’m using and they are saying the port of Miami schedule that is updated by the coast guard is showing arrival between 10- 1pm. I found a site for port of miami Biscayne Bay pilots schedule for ports and it’s showing arrival of the getaway at 10 am. It was just updated a little bit ago. Just wish NCL would provide us better info.

I imagine this is impossible. Cozumel to Miami is roughly 600 nautical miles. Getaway’s top speed is 25 knots (with zero wind and very calm water), which means depending on position, tides, wind, etc they have a 24-28 hour trip back to port. If they left now they would arrive at 7 PM AT BEST.

How can NCL provide better information if they have no idea when the ship will reach the search area and then surrender it to the coast guard? NCL wont have better information until the captain is finished with the crew's search. A few hours from now there will be an update.

How can NCL provide better information if they have no idea when the ship will reach the search area and then surrender it to the coast guard? NCL wont have better information until the captain is finished with the crew's search. A few hours from now there will be an update.

Of course NCL closes at 9pm ET

Of course NCL closes at 9pm ET

Ship delays are not new. NCL routinely updates their website for all kinds of ship delays, weather issues, port cancellations, etc. Once there is something to report it will be on the website. People want information NOW that NCL cannot give. Once it is determined the ship will be in Miami, the website will be updated and would expect emails to go out. This will not happen until the ship starts to head back to Miami. Can you imagine the confusion of constantly changing times or estimations? That's not going to happen. Once the search is over and the captain clears and heads back to Miami updates and information will go out.

We're doing the grid search now.

Our position a few minutes ago was:

Lat/Lon: 22.811168 / -84.233367

Assuming 21kts (the speed we traveled for 5 hours to get to this approximate area)...how long is it going to take to get to Miami?

We're doing the grid search now.

Our position a few minutes ago was:

Lat/Lon: 22.811168 / -84.233367

Assuming 21kts (the speed we traveled for 5 hours to get to this approximate area)...how long is it going to take to get to Miami?

Roughly 12-14. Depends on waves, wind, etc.

Edited by MikeBTN

It seems rather early for all this complaining about customer service. Seriously people give them a chance to communicate. We don’t board for hours. You don’t have to know right Now what time to be there tomorrow.

On a side note this is what the website ship tracker shows

db8e9b588b09f48485a3ac9cdb0e63c6.jpg

The tiny yellow circle is the Getaway. It appears to be updated as it shows ships hat left Miami today in the locations one would expect.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I bet your back tomorrow evening around 9

Yeah...for some reason I could have swore the post I quoted said 27-28 hours. I guess it depends on when we get relieved from search by coast guard.

On a side note, there's a lot of very upset passengers in the atrium/guest services and the cruise director is unsuccessfully trying to pacify them. They're going to have to do something pretty quick to make this better for the guests.

But there are families that are being left in the dark. Some with kids, some with disabled family members, or some like me with a disabled kid, and no accurate communications, no proactive actions to make the burden a little easier. Planning becomes very difficult.

At least you are know aware of the situation and can plan on getting to the port as late as possible.

It is not. It is sad that a person felt they needed to take there own life. And like I said NCL needs to do what it needs to do.

But there are families that are being left in the dark. Some with kids, some with disabled family members, or some like me with a disabled kid, and no accurate communications, no proactive actions to make the burden a little easier. Planning becomes very difficult.

Norwegian is just as in the dark as everyone else. They cannot stop their search until the Coast Guard allows them to leave. Until then, they have as much idea as you or I do.

Yeah...for some reason I could have swore the post I quoted said 27-28 hours. I guess it depends on when we get relieved from search by coast guard.

On a side note, there's a lot of very upset passengers in the atrium/guest services and the cruise director is unsuccessfully trying to pacify them. They're going to have to do something pretty quick to make this better for the guests.

This is as much Norwegian’s fault as it is the guests, which means it’s neither’s fault. NCL may eventually offer some compensation, but only to save some face. And probably in the form of a future cruise credit. It won’t be enough to cover flight transfer fees or hotels - maybe $100-$300.

Don’t forget there are people boarding who are also going to be upset because our vacation is cut short.

It is what it is. NCL is in a no-win situation here.

And yea, I hit enter too soon :-)

Norwegian is just as in the dark as everyone else. They cannot stop their search until the Coast Guard allows them to leave. Until then, they have as much idea as you or I do.

Then they should communicate that. They didn't they told everyone 12pm. I agree now I know because I took the effort to research, but most families won't/can't.

We can't be sure but... 14 hours from now... 9:30AM... so even if they stay for an hour, which I suspect would be the max really ?? then another 4 hours would still put you back in port by noon... not ideal for sure but.. disembarking complete by 2pm, unless there's an investigation... boarding begins by 3-3:30... optimistic I guess but better than 7PM, no?

Hope it all gets worked out so not too much negative impact for anyone, including the fellow crew and passengers, and yes, I know there will be some sad crew members for sure.

All the best.

Then they should communicate that. They didn't they told everyone 12pm. I agree now I know because I took the effort to research, but most families won't/can't.

They probably didn’t know until 12 PM what actually happened. Most likely this crew member didn’t show up to work this morning, so they started looking for them (thus the repeated pages). After figuring out no-one knew where they were, the staff started tracking down when the last time someone saw them was. Based on that, then they had to watch video until they saw what actually happened. This was likely not a short process.

As was already posted, the Captain made an announcement shortly after they turned around. Meaning the passengers found out shortly after the Captain did.

People do get upset when life throws an inconvenience their way. They will get home a day later but life goes on. Its a very sad day but while others will wait in Miami to board, you guys get an extra day at sea that many don't want. People must accept things in life they cannot change. Even when the captain is immediately notified of someone falling or jumping overboard the odds are very slim to find them let alone rescue them. But the captain must search just like he would do for a passenger or crew. I live in Miami so I would not have to catch a flight but I would be sad on board thinking of this crew member and his/her family. I imagine the crew must be very somber tonight. And they must deal with all those angry people tomorrow :(

One selfish guy/girl negatively impacting the lives of thousands and thousands of people. Perhaps the overboard person was a bit insensitive?

As a mental health professional with over 30 years experience in the US, I must say that a person who commits suicide is not necessarily "insensitive", but most likely has a mental illness called Major Depression. Persons with this mental illness can experience so much emotional pain that they think suicide is their only option. They are not thinking clearly. Major depression is caused by a biochemical imbalance in the brain and is very treatable if diagnosed properly. It is a major mental health problem in the US within several different segments of our society including military veterans and teenagers.

As a previous poster noted , a crew member said that this particular crew member was not on the ship for very long. He may not have realized the protocol and procedure for a "man overboard". Perhaps he thought he could slip away quietly. I would venture to guess that he did not commit suicide to cause everyone inconvenience.

They probably didn’t know until 12 PM what actually happened. Most likely this crew member didn’t show up to work this morning, so they started looking for them (thus the repeated pages). After figuring out no-one knew where they were, the staff started tracking down when the last time someone saw them was. Based on that, then they had to watch video until they saw what actually happened. This was likely not a short process.

As was already posted, the Captain made an announcement shortly after they turned around. Meaning the passengers found out shortly after the Captain did.

This is accurate. They made 2-3 PA announcements for the crew member to call a certain extension. The crew working where I was at told everyone that it meant he hasn't shown up for duty and they checked his stateroom. One even mentioned they knew the person and that 'he hasn't been doing well'. Just before 1pm the ship turned around very quickly and you could feel it jumping up to full speed. Captain got on PA and announced just after that.

It's nearly impossible to see someone floating in the ocean....even if they have an orange life vest on , or even if you're in a raft...you would have to get VERY lucky to see such a small target in such a large body of water....especially after you've gone 8-12 hours away from the "fall" zone.

Prayers to the family of the missing person.

People, let’s calm down. Acknowledge it’s sad, heartbreaking really but recognize most people posting don’t know this person and the default response is to think,” how does this affect me?” It’s natural and for some it’s going to be a big pain. Financial loss and inconvenient. For me, I miss the beginning of my vacation. It’s ok but let’s not get nasty and criticize those we don’t agree with,

Sent from my iPad using Forums