Hawaii Volcano sighting

jsf

We are going on a Hawaii cruise and I noticed we sail by the Kilauea volcano one night, does anyone know what side of the ship to see it from?

It depends on where you're coming from and where you're going.

The Captain will spin the ship probably so you can see it from both sides.

We were on the port side and that was the side we were able to first see it from. It's fantastic in person.

We took a cruise to Hawaii and were sailing from Hilo to Kona and then to Maui. between Kona and Maui it was on the Starboard side.

One warning - the visibility is nothing like the pictures up close and personal. The ship is approx. 3miles off shore and you can see streaks of lava but you can imagine from that distance you don't see a lot of detail.

Currently the area where the volcano meets the sea is a no go zone. The clouds formed when lava hits the is an issue for breathing.

POA is currently not using Hilo as a port instead adding a day to other ports.

It depends on where you're coming from and where you're going.

The Captain will spin the ship probably so you can see it from both sides.

We were on the port side and that was the side we were able to first see it from. It's fantastic in person.

I take pictures so I would stand on the pool deck or one of the other open decks where you can see in all directions. I would also wear a surgical or painter's face mask to avoid breathing in any dust or fumes.

We took a cruise to Hawaii and were sailing from Hilo to Kona and then to Maui. between Kona and Maui it was on the Starboard side.

One warning - the visibility is nothing like the pictures up close and personal. The ship is approx. 3miles off shore and you can see streaks of lava but you can imagine from that distance you don't see a lot of detail.

Not our experience at all on Solstice in Sept of 16. Pictures really can't do justice to what we saw.

Here's a link to the National Park Services official update site:

https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava2.htm

Visibility from the ship will depend on Madam Pele's mood that night, as well as wind direction. We've seen it from the old Constitution cruise ship back in the mid-eighties and it was spectacular. Hope you get a good view!