What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

CCHelp

I am on the Breakaway western caribbean (10/27/19) and was booked in a mini-suite.  I really wanted a spa cabin so I bid $200/$100pp on a spa mini suite which was in the poor range.  The price of our cabin had gown down by about $240 overall and we received $60 OBC.  Considering that and the going rate for the spa mini suite, I was really surprised when I got the email and won the upgrade!  

22 hours ago, Shrewsbury on Tour said:

Hi,

first time bidders here, but the cruise is no longer showing on the website, sailing on 13/10/19 NCL Jade, I guess it’s sold out, so bids not valid???

cheers

Bids are valid until you are told otherwise by NCL

9 minutes ago, drvmywifecrzy said:

Bid range is between $500 & $2000 per person.  I am doing my homework here on cruise critic.

Good screen name.  Expecting others to know how much a Haven suite is worth to you might drv cc crzy, too, lol.  

It is worth a lot to some people and little to others; that’s the point of bidding....bid the lower of two numbers (a) the max budget you have chosen for this cabin or (b) the max value you/companion personally place on this suite ...do not, of course, bid more than it would cost to just call and upgrade to the suite.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, * Angela * said:

I am on the Breakaway western caribbean (10/27/19) and was booked in a mini-suite.  I really wanted a spa cabin so I bid $200/$100pp on a spa mini suite which was in the poor range.  The price of our cabin had gown down by about $240 overall and we received $60 OBC.  Considering that and the going rate for the spa mini suite, I was really surprised when I got the email and won the upgrade!  

That is great...enjoy the spa!

20 minutes ago, drvmywifecrzy said:

Bid range is between $500 & $2000 per person.  I am doing my homework here on cruise critic.

The way to "research" what to bid, is to look at what you have already paid for your mini-suite, and compare that to the H5 cost...  take the difference, and figure out how much of that you are willing to cough up.  That should be your bid.

16 minutes ago, * Angela * said:

Good bid!   Basically you bought a spa pass for half price 🙂 Thats awesome!

Edited by cliffd64

2 minutes ago, cliffd64 said:

The way to "research" what to bid, is to look at what you have already paid for your mini-suite, and compare that to the H5 cost...  take the difference, and figure out how much of that you are willing to cough up.  That should be your bid.

Well I paid Zero cause I am on a CAS comp 🙂 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, drvmywifecrzy said:

Well I paid Zero cause I am on a CAS comp 🙂 

Honestly, your cost is less important than upgrade cost, so you could ask what it would cost to upgrade to the H5; no point bidding more than that!

Your bid will directly compete against bids from others in minisuites (even those in less desirable locations because move up bidders who will eventually get those mini do not get to choose location).  You will also compete against people in balconies, and spa mini; lower end suiteholders May bid too.  So it is hard to know the supply/demand will balance out on your specific sailing.  You have a nice cabin; bid an amount that will make you happy if you get it, satisfied if you do not.  Personally I also bid for other suites, too, but if H5 is the only one that interests you, then only bid for it.

On 9/27/2019 at 3:17 PM, Starry Eyes said:

Honestly, your cost is less important than upgrade cost, so you could ask what it would cost to upgrade to the H5; no point bidding more than that!

Your bid will directly compete against bids from others in minisuites (even those in less desirable locations because move up bidders who will eventually get those mini do not get to choose location).  You will also compete against people in balconies, and spa mini; lower end suiteholders May bid too.  So it is hard to know the supply/demand will balance out on your specific sailing.  You have a nice cabin; bid an amount that will make you happy if you get it, satisfied if you do not.  Personally I also bid for other suites, too, but if H5 is the only one that interests you, then only bid for it.

H5 is the only one currently not sold out

42 minutes ago, drvmywifecrzy said:

H5 is the only one currently not sold out

Well, somebody could cancel days before the cruise; they’d likely fill from bids.  Or somebody could move to H5 from another suite category; you cannot know how pricing was when other people booked nor what they value.  Granted odds are lower when so many categories are sold out, but it costs nothing to enter a bid if you’d like to cruise in that suite.  And it does happen.  As long as I am bidding anyway, I tend to enter bids for sold out categories that interest me.  I can understand if others do not.

21 hours ago, Nclgetawaymenhoney said:

I'm pretty sure your travel agent no longer participates in the program I would have them call ncl and find out why you did not receive offer

I booked with the same TA in July and they obviously participated then as I got the bid email. I did email my online TA and got a response which evidenced they missed the point of my question. I emailed again and got no reply, maybe I will try and call.😳 I kept thinking it would arrive. Balconies have dropped significantly however I don’t think in the UK we can do anything to take advantage of this ?

1 hour ago, debgreg said:

I booked with the same TA in July and they obviously participated then as I got the bid email. I did email my online TA and got a response which evidenced they missed the point of my question. I emailed again and got no reply, maybe I will try and call.😳 I kept thinking it would arrive. Balconies have dropped significantly however I don’t think in the UK we can do anything to take advantage of this ?

They might not participate any longer, I would work with them to get what the problem is

1 hour ago, 2cmu92 said:

I cruise in 12 days and today I went on to check the bid strength and it no longer shows. It shows the bid, but not the strength.   Any ideas if this means anything?

My guess, a computer glitch. Good luck.

Edited by debnjoe1438

11 hours ago, 2cmu92 said:

I cruise in 12 days and today I went on to check the bid strength and it no longer shows. It shows the bid, but not the strength.   Any ideas if this means anything?

You have to click on MODIFY BID to see the dial again...  

Finally, at 64 days out from our December 8 Encore sailing, we received the Upgrade Advantage email!

We're booked in a mid-ship balcony on Deck 10, so we put in $150 pp for a spa balcony, a minisuite, and a spa minisuite. Poor range for both the spa rooms, Fair for the plain old minisuite. We had a similar offer for the minisuite accepted last year at around 50 days out on the Escape in a similar scenario. Last year's Escape cruise was an NYE cruise that sailed at or near capacity, whereas this one is during a slower week in early December where school hasn't let out yet. Nothing is sold out yet at this point, just a couple of Haven categories and the large balcony. I didn't take a deep dive into inventory - not driving myself crazy this time. 😉

All of the "basic" Haven rooms were starting at $400 pp. I asked my boyfriend (who has been hounding me about the Haven since my parents who only sail in Haven/suites gave him the upsell) if he wanted to throw in a couple minimum Haven bids just for kicks, but he doesn't think he'll enjoy it enough to warrant an additional $800. I tend to agree with him. I love the shower in the minisuite so I'd be pretty happy if we got that, and of course would be thrilled with either of the spa rooms. Our current room is also pretty nicely located so I wouldn't be mad if we kept it either. Basically a recipe for a good cruise with no disappointment!

His sister and her fiance booked through Costco so I am assuming they will not be offered to upgrade. They're saving for their wedding anyway so probably wouldn't want to sink extra into a room since this is their first cruise, they don't even know what they're missing.

I got the email at 90 days and put in an offer to upgrade from OV to Balcony. When I saw that only cabins on a lower level and over the nightclub were available, I withdrew my offer. That might've been a mistake because I saw here that some passengers were upgraded to nice balcony cabins. Now only suites and insides are left (balconies sold out), so I put in an offer again. I think anyone bidding on a suite probably already has a nice balcony cabin and maybe I'll get upgraded to one of those when they upgrade to a suite. Or perhaps someone will have an unfortunate cancellation. Whatever happens, I'm totally happy with what I have, but it's kind of interesting to see how it all ends up. I was surprised to still see the offer even after I know some passengers have already been upgraded. 

Xmas Bliss Cruise -- minisuite to (min bids pp)

- H2: $2670

- H4: $1670

- H6: $1005

- H8: $535

- H7: $535

- Spa MiniSuite: $105

Not sure if I want to bid or not, curious if anyone in a Balcony (not minisuite) has similar options...