Walkie Talkie? Please read before getting upset at me!

amomx5

My father is just shy of 94 and my mother is 90 and in a wheelchair full time. He is her primary caretaker (their choice). He decided to take her back to her homeland Scotland one last time. The easiest way is a cruise so my 3 sisters and I and 2 sons-in-law are going with them to help out. My mother gets up later in the morning and we need a way for my father to get a hold of one of us in case he needs assistance. Rather than sitting in our staterooms waiting for him to call or him leaving her alone to come find us because we left a sticky note on his door we need him to be able to just quickly ask us to come to their room. I have searched and read many threads about walkie talkies to know a lot of people disagree strongly with having them on board. At the risk of people judging me I am asking for help. I cannot find any specifics on which particular walkie talkies might fit the parameters of Celebrity and work at least part of the time. If anyone can give me a specific one to get please let me know. For those who do not like them I am sorry, we will not be having conversations and will try to not disturb anyone else. Thank you very much

Hi, the problem with walkie-talkies, aside from whether other pax approve, is that it is difficult to get anything to work effectively with all that steel around. Some lines now have passenger communication apps, but I don't think Celebrity is one of these :(

Someone might come on and tell you about a wonderful brand they have used, but I fear you are going to be disappointed.

Not sure what "parameters of Celebrity" you are referring to, but as the PP stated, the main issue is that the steel of the ship is extremely difficult to "pierce" with radio waves. The ship's use 5 watt UHF radios (which at that level must be listed on the ship's radiotelephony certificate, and also use frequency specific repeater antenna placed throughout the ship to boost the signal.

Lots of folks will say they have had good results with various consumer radios, but my professional experience is that these will vary depending on the distance you are trying to transmit over (length along the ship), and the number of decks you are trying to "pierce". It can also vary by time of day, weather, and other environmental factors so reception in one area on the ship one day, may not work the next. It can also come down to how many doors are open or closed between the radios.

My suggestion is that if your father could handle a text message, get the wifi package and have him text you. You may be able to set up a fixed text message that he could send with only one or two touches.

I second the wifi package. Maybe you can purchase the group for 3 or 4 devices, but not sure if you have to be in the same cabin. Even if your Dad does not have a phone easy enough to text, maybe someone in the family has a tablet he could use. Depending on the ship, some phone carriers have plans that you can use on the ship too. Find which is the cheapest option. Your family will probably find this useful to find each other as well.

We tried walkie talkies on our Reflection Caribbean cruise last December with very limited/inconsistent success. Honestly I did not know that this was frowned upon though - I'll say that we never got any unhappy stares or comments from other passengers... ;p

While we didn't get them from Amazon & ours were an older model, we used some something like these: https://www.amazon.com/Midland-LXT600VP3-36-Channel-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B007B5ZR4G/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1530791155&sr=8-7&keywords=walkie-talkie

They did sell walkie talkies in the celebrity on board gift shop on our sailing (maybe around $100?) but we didn't buy since ours didn't work and we didn't want to waste the $ if it was a ship issue. Not sure if the type they sell on board are better for use on the ship but as Chengkp75 already explained - the technology is the technology so...

Totally agree with Chengkp75 & Tkere about using texting. The Wifi packages aren't cheap but do usually go on sale at some point prior to most sailings. With even the most basic 'classic' level Captain's Club (so, at least one Celebrity cruise under your belt) you can get an additional 10% off the price (more at higher levels) so if you or anyone sailing with you has any status you could call Captain's club and perhaps buy the wifi at the sale price + an additional discount.

Also and kind of separate so maybe not relevant: my mobile carrier is Verizon - their international package (TravelPass) is excellent. TravelPass is free to sign up for and can be turned on at any time. It cost $10 per 24 hour period for use in *most* countries out side of the US. This package allows you to have full access to your current mobile plan when traveling abroad. As an example - if you have unlimited texting on your current mobile plan, you would be able to use your unlimited texting benefit while in port in Scotland. I used this last year when we were in ports in the Caribbean & travel to Europe for work (France, Spain, Germany, Portugal) where I've also used it many times - no surprises, no additional fees. I have unlimited texting, minutes and data on my mobile plan so as long as I'm w/ in a country (not open sea) I pay $10/day to have access to these benefits. I get a text message just prior to the start of a TravelPass session to warn me so I can turn off my roaming if I don't want to activate a session. This is helpful - in the Caribbean for instance our ship passed close enough to some islands that we did not visit to activate a TravelPass session but I got the text notice so I could decline the option. My daughter's with AT&T and they have something similar so I suspect most major carriers have some international plan option? This will only help while you're IN ports but you all could possibly check to see if this is a viable option depending on how port-intensive your cruise is? A quick call to your carrier will answer any questions you may have about your mobile carrier's specific program and confirm if it is available in the countries your cruise will visit...

Enjoy your parents and have a great time on your cruise!

Another vote for getting the Internet package and communicating that way. Yes, it will cost a bit, but I would guess that good walkie-talkies are not cheap either. And if your dad can use a walkie-talkie, he is likely to be able to make a call through What’sapp or Facebook messenger, even if he isn’t comfortable texting.

And because nothing is foolproof, it might also be a good idea to have a regular check-in time, so you could plan to either ring or knock on their door at 10.30 every morning or something.

I suggest a simpler method. Since there will be 6 other adults traveling, why not just set up a schedule where there is one of the traveling companions “on call” each morning. That person would stay in their cabin by the phone until Dad needed them. No cost, easy to manage,order breakfast to the room, and Dad wont fret about handling electronics that he is perhaps unfamiliar with.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great idea..even better, why not have the on call person actualy visit with them..help with room service, errands, etc... at night, I assume relatives will be in nearby cabins..with telephone,

Edited by hcat

Thank you for all the suggestions. We would all have to get the wi-fi package and I don't think all will be able to afford it. As far as texting, we have T mobile and when we are at sea I think it uses the ship tower so it does cost. My Dad is pretty hip as far as having his own Facebook page etc. but not so much as far as texting goes, I believe they have some different carrier from AARP recommendation?! I know I would not mind visiting them in the am but I would not want to wake them up and would not know what time to go each morning. Night is not an issue. I will talk with my sisters and my parents and run by these suggestions, and thank you all for not getting upset at me:D

We went on a cruise with my disabled father and his wife. They use the Consumer Cellular that AARP recommends. Their phones did not work at all once we left Florida. Even in PR and St. Thomas, their phones didn't work.

Yes, everyone having an internet package could get expensive. If one person buys it, you can get a 4 device package plan at a discount, but it will still be expensive.

I would work out a schedule since there are a number of you.

I REALLY wish the cruise lines would rent out the deck phones for situations like this. I wonder if Special Needs could arrange something like that?

If you aren't already planning this, could you get an extra pass card to allow access to your parents cabin? Then whoever is on 'duty' can let themselves in to check if a parent is up and waiting for assistance, or to get in quickly in a possible emergency. Your parents might be prepared to put up with the small loss of privacy ( not much different than if they were staying with you) for the peace of mind benefits.

If you aren't already planning this, could you get an extra pass card to allow access to your parents cabin? Then whoever is on 'duty' can let themselves in to check if a parent is up and waiting for assistance, or to get in quickly in a possible emergency. Your parents might be prepared to put up with the small loss of privacy ( not much different than if they were staying with you) for the peace of mind benefits.

As I understand it, the Dad will wait in the room with Mom until she is up, and then phone the “on call”person in their cabin. This is fine for Sea days, not so sure how well it will work on port days. But hey, you have to give them credit for taking on such a trip! Thats a really loving husband and family.

Just fyi - on the internet package: The internet package IS limited to the number of devices included based on the package you purchase (1, 2, 3, 4, devices etc) - but devices are interchangeable.

If you buy a 2 device package for instance - yes, only two devices can be on wifi at a time but if you take one device off line (say your mobile phone) you can then add another device, say an iPad - it's no problem.

On our last cruise I had my iPhone, my work computer and my iPad - my mom also had her iPhone. While we did occasionally bump each other off on the wifi we mostly shared the plan with no issues.

Just wanted you how this works so you could fully consider if this was an option. You could keep your father's device on wifi all the time and rotate the second devise among your group so someone's always on call for him if he needs support OR maybe even better, just keep one person's device *on call* for him so there's no need to constantly take devises on and off and he knows who to text.

I may get some unhappy responses here for suggesting what some consider 'cheating' (the wifi plan is meant to be per room) but seriously, you'll hardly be using the benefit so it seems more than reasonable in your case...

Good Luck!

I suggest a simpler method. Since there will be 6 other adults traveling, why not just set up a schedule where there is one of the traveling companions “on call” each morning. That person would stay in their cabin by the phone until Dad needed them. No cost, easy to manage,order breakfast to the room, and Dad wont fret about handling electronics that he is perhaps unfamiliar with.

At first I was going to suggest OP get the internet package and use cel phones to communicate, but that assumes the 94 year old gentleman is somewhat tech savvy and sees well enough to text. I really like YOUR idea. In fact with their ages and one of them dependent, I would strongly suggest that someone be with them at all times. Like an adjoining cabin so there's privacy and security at the same time. As for people getting annoyed because you're talking to someone on a walkie-talkie or cel phone? Sorry.... to me it's THEM that are rude not OP....we spend waaay to much time watching what others are doing so we can find fault. Just MHO.

We tried walkie talkies on our Reflection Caribbean cruise last December with very limited/inconsistent success. Honestly I did not know that this was frowned upon though - I'll say that we never got any unhappy stares or comments from other passengers... ;p

A cruise ship is a Faraday cage. The radio communication distance is very limited without repeaters. The radios are frowned upon because of the loud talking and loud garbled sound from the devices. I have seen an elderly woman telling her husband to hurry since the theater doors are open. Both were garbled communication and she yelled louder into the radio.

The 2 pack radios sold in the US should not be used in the EU since the GMRS channels assigned in the US are assigned to emergency services in some EU countries.

We used to use walkie-talkies on our cruises, but communications weren't that good. We often picked up other people's voices and that was very annoying. Now we use wi-fi calling. Very clear communication over cell phones while on the ship. Also, we are able to make and receive calls to cell phones and land lines back home at no extra charge. You will need to purchase at least two internet packages to communicate with your Dad on board the ship (or any place where both phones are on wi-fi). We learned about wi-fi calling from a cruise critic member:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2462437

Good luck!

I have used the Motorola Talkabout MH230R with good success on Royal Caribbean ships. You can set your own channel and frequencies for your group which reduces or eliminates picking up other conversations. You buy them in pairs but we have used multiple pairs. By the way some ships rent phones similar to walkie talkies. Decent walkie-talkies will run about $120-150 per pair. If you go cheap you will be wasting your money. You need to compare that to wifi costs if this is a one time use.

I can recall three families using Motorola walkie talkies on a cruise. I heard complaint that they were picking up others conversations. "I'll meet you at the OceanView." There appeared to be only one clear channel available. Also, service was limited due to the nature of the ship's structure.

I can recall three families using Motorola walkie talkies on a cruise. I heard complaint that they were picking up others conversations. "I'll meet you at the OceanView." There appeared to be only one clear channel available. Also, service was limited due to the nature of the ship's structure.

That was my point, there are many Motorola models, some cheap and some not so cheap. The model I recommended has 22 channels and 121 privacy codes which someone would have to be really unlucky to find someone else with the same channel and same privacy code. Or they don't know how to set them up. We have used on 2 cruises with no problems of reception or interference. The only reason we don't use them anymore is that we get free wifi with our Go Best perks and texting is too easy.

By the way I bought mine in 2012, I am sure there are newer models with even more features. I understand the range has increased from 23 miles to 36 miles.

Thank you for all the suggestions. We would all have to get the wi-fi package and I don't think all will be able to afford it. As far as texting, we have T mobile and when we are at sea I think it uses the ship tower so it does cost. My Dad is pretty hip as far as having his own Facebook page etc. but not so much as far as texting goes, I believe they have some different carrier from AARP recommendation?! I know I would not mind visiting them in the am but I would not want to wake them up and would not know what time to go each morning. Night is not an issue. I will talk with my sisters and my parents and run by these suggestions, and thank you all for not getting upset at me:D

I sent you a friend request. I may have a solution for you. But I believe you must accept my request before we can communicate

Thank you all so very much for all your suggestions. MCazer I have accepted your request, thank you. We live in Florida and are going up to Massachusetts for their 70th Anniversay this weekend so I will read all your responses to my parents and sisters and make a group decision. Again I do appreciate all of you taking the time to give me thoughtful responses!:D

Thank you all so very much for all your suggestions. MCazer I have accepted your request, thank you. We live in Florida and are going up to Massachusetts for their 70th Anniversay this weekend so I will read all your responses to my parents and sisters and make a group decision. Again I do appreciate all of you taking the time to give me thoughtful responses!:D

Apparently cruise critic has disabled the private message system

Can you email me at mcazer at Aol dot com?

I spelled it out so bots don’t send me any more junk mail LOL

but I have two Walkie talkies you can use

I'm not sure how the cell phone plans work in the US with respect to costs for texting, but if you go the route of having 2 devices accessing the ship unlimited wifi (eg device 1 your dad, device 2 the on call person) you could use a wifi based messaging app (such as WhatsApp) to avoid text message costs. If your dad is familiar with Facebook, perhaps he could use Facebook Messenger (on wifi only).

WhatsApp also allows for Wi-Fi based telephone calls so he could actually just call if texting becomes difficult...

Wishing you all a great trip!

My recommendation is to just use your cell phones to communicate via phone calls. Turn your cell phones on but make sure you turn cellular data off. Your phones will be able to make and receive calls at $3 per minute. So a one minute call would actually cost $6. For what you seem to want to do, that's much less expensive than buying wifi packages. Good luck.