Internet speeds

Hi there,

If there's anyone out there currently on a ship that could run a speed test for me of the Internet, I'd very much appreciate it. I'm trying to find out how fast the Carnival Internet can go.

Thanks!!

Dori

Hi there,

If there's anyone out there currently on a ship that could run a speed test for me of the Internet, I'd very much appreciate it. I'm trying to find out how fast the Carnival Internet can go.

Thanks!!

Dori

Hi Dori

I don't know what you are specifically looking for, but I just wanted to point out that a speed test only indicates a result for a specific point in time. Not necessarily indicative of a moment before or after, which could be slower or faster. Certainly ship to ship would be different.

While Carnival's efforts have improved their internet capabilities, I believe that in the past and still today is fact that often the internet availability will at times fade or in fact stop.

Over the past few years, and I cruise annually, I have never been above 1Mbps. Always in the Kbps range and usually in the 100 to 250 Kbps range.

Latency ping anywhere from 150 to 800 mS

Over the past few years, and I cruise annually, I have never been above 1Mbps. Always in the Kbps range and usually in the 100 to 250 Kbps range.

Latency ping anywhere from 150 to 800 mS

Thanks so much. That's pretty slow! Can you tell me which plan you typically use?

Hi Dori

I don't know what you are specifically looking for, but I just wanted to point out that a speed test only indicates a result for a specific point in time. Not necessarily indicative of a moment before or after, which could be slower or faster. Certainly ship to ship would be different.

While Carnival's efforts have improved their internet capabilities, I believe that in the past and still today is fact that often the internet availability will at times fade or in fact stop.

Yep, totally understand. I'm just trying to see 1) if I can find an average speed and 2) if it ever gets anywhere near 4 mbps.

Nowhere near 4 mbps in my recent Splendor cruise. It was AWFUL! Just trying to get email was a long process and if someone had a signature with data, it almost never displayed. Obviously it was better in port, I used my phone as a hot spot. As a Verizon user, out of the country coverage was included in my plan and I was SO grateful. I get nervous to use free wifi in ports.

Speeds are heavily variable since potentially thousands of people are sharing the connection at one time. It is also behind a proxy - all traffic is shaped and many sites and ports are blocked. For example, as of the last time I looked all streaming services were blocked.

The only thing you can guarantee is latency will always be well north of 100ms due to the thousands of miles your packets have to travel over the air.