Has anyone taken a ship excursion from Livorno?

cpl100

In particular I am eyeing the one called "Florence Sightseeing and Rowboat Ride" which also includes a stop at a leather factory.

Although I don't mind stopping at a leather factory, I don't want to spend a lot of time there nor do I wish to be subjected to any high pressure sales tactics.

If you have (or know someone who has) taken this tour, please comment about it as you see fit.

Thank you for any and all information.

We stopped at a Leather factory at the end of our Celebrity tour of Florence a few years ago. IIRC there were a couple of other coaches there. I think, because it was a Sunday, the factory wasn't open but the shop was. They handed out a complimentary soft drink. I don't recall any high pressure sales you were just free to browse through the large shop - prices on the high side IIRC.

We did the Florence On Your Own. It was great. The coordinator (wasnt a guide since this was dropping us at a Piazza in Florence and taking us back) was very entertaining on the ride over and back. We had a lot of time in Florence (always not enough for such a great city), got tickets for various museums and enjoyed. The coordinator did recommend a restaurant in the Piazza we were to meet and it was outstanding. A little hole in the wall and great white lasagna.

So recommend that. Some people go to Florence on their own by train or shuttle, but that can be dicey that far away (at least for me!) and the ship’s on your own is not that pricey. That tour also didn’t stop at a major shop, just a bathroom stop no the main road up and back. You can shop till you drop in Florence, especailly the sideway shops.

Piza is interesting, but it’s mainly just the Leaning Tower. My opinon is Florence is such a fantastic city, city center is walking only, with so much to see. We went to the Accadmia Gallery to see David and is was great, but I Loved the Prisoners sculptures leading up to The David, they were unbelievable work.

Too much to even go through here. Get tickets online for any of the venues. Don’t waste time waiting there, and many venue lines will be too long. Tickets after 1100 should work fine, or even get them for early noonish and wander prior.

Den

Edited by Denny01

We also opted for "Florence on your Own". Ship's transportation guarantees you'll travel back and forth with no worries and it is a very manageable city to walk around on your own and see all the major sites. As for buying leather, there are shops all over the City so you don't need a special stop at a leather factory.

I hired a private company for transport only to Florence & back. Shared the transport on my roll call, & ended up with 6 total in a van (included DH & me) I believe it was about 65 E pp. We docked at 7am & were driving away by 7:30. Even though it was transport only our guide gave us great tips on Florence... none of us were first timers there which was nice. :) We were dropped inside of Florence & picked up there at the end of the day. The ships drop off & pick up out of the city. I calculate that we gained a minimum of 3 extra hours there over the ship's DIY tour.

If you're into leather, visit the leather school adjacent to Saint Croce, I believe it's called Scoula De Cuio (pardon if I'm misspelling) it's actually quite fascinating, zero sales pitch & you can buy items made by the students. Google it, it's pretty cool. :)

I did the ship's Cinque Terre excursion from Livorno as I had already been to Florence. It was excellent.

I'm glad to hear this Linda, as we have this booked for when we are in port in September.

We also did Cinque Terre from another port but only managed to do three out the five towns but it was wonderful.

On another cruise a few years ago we used the train to get to Florence by ourselves. We left the ship later than expected and had a rather rushed short stay. We are due to stop at Livorno on a cruise next year and will use the advice stated on this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did the ship's Cinque Terre excursion from Livorno as I had already been to Florence. It was excellent.

Beware that the Cinqueterre is extremely busy in summer /early autumn. I would avoid, better to go to Portovenere and take the water taxi to Monterosso - you will see the 5 villages from the sea better than the hassle you'll experience walking the villages.

Our first time we had a private tour for 8 to Pisa dn Lucca and it was a wonderful day

second time ship tour " Florence on your own" the cost was no more than getting there on our own. We enjoyed a narrated bus trip both ways and a great day in Florence ( other than the rain)

Catch the train from Livorno to Lucca, one of the most magical towns in Italy.

Hi. I'm plannning on doing this next week. Can you give me any insight on getting to the train station and a plan for the day? I was thinking of biking the walls. Any sites to recommend? I booked a table for lunch just outside of lucca that was highly recommended so hoping I can get a taxi to take me. Thanks for any info.

We did a great private tour with papillon with 6 others from roll call did Pisa first then Florence including museum with David then they gave us a choice of more time in Florence or free wine tasting in a organic vineyard , we did wine tasting , less than a hundred per person in a new very comfortable Mercedes van with a excellent tour guide/driver . All our tours were with fellow roll call .

Beware that the Cinqueterre is extremely busy in summer /early autumn. I would avoid, better to go to Portovenere and take the water taxi to Monterosso - you will see the 5 villages from the sea better than the hassle you'll experience walking the villages.

The ship's excursion does not walk from village to village. It's done by water taxi. Walking tour in Portovenere and one in Monterosso. Time for lunch in Monterosso. Then you take the train to the next village where the bus picks you up for the return to the ship. I picked the ship's excursion because I had a ton of nonrefundable OBC.

The ship's excursion does not walk from village to village. It's done by water taxi. Walking tour in Portovenere and one in Monterosso. Time for lunch in Monterosso. Then you take the train to the next village where the bus picks you up for the return to the ship. I picked the ship's excursion because I had a ton of nonrefundable OBC.

Celebrity have changed their tour based on what you say, that itinerary is good. It used to be bus to Manarola, water taxi or train between villages and collect group in Monterosso. That was hell on Earth. Water taxis between village are cancelled with the slightest sea swell and then the trains become over crowded, not pleasant.

We did the Celebrity trip to Pisa via coach and then transferred to a boat to sail into Pisa. It was handy for me as there was not much walking involved. We had free time in Pisa - all in all it was about 4 - 5 hours - so an easy day (Pretty useful if following on from a long day in Rome!)

Have done a ship's journey to Florance and yes it parked a fe hundred metres from the train station. In those days I was more mobile and managed the walk into the centre easily. Lots to see and do and time for a lovely Tuscan meal. Alas tho at the end of the day the heavens opened and we had torrential rain - and I mean torrential! The water was streaming down the ramps of underground parking. It also flooded the underpasses for us trying to leave Florence! We met our guide at the railway station and then had to walk to the coach (the couple who had managed to keep dry as they were riding on a HOHO bus then got as wet as the rest of us...ie soaked to the skin. The coach could not get out of Florence and the roads when we did get out were a nightmare. Our driver decided on leaving the main route and using ' B' roads to get back to the ship. WE were 3 hours late - of course the ship had to wait. I pitied the guide as she was booked to go back out straightaway with another trip. (The seats on that coach would have been jolly damp too!) WE heard on the ship that one couple did not make it back to the ship (they were on their own itinerary) They were fortunate in that the next day was Rome and not Sardinia so they could get a train easily (and a night in a hotel!)

I don't know if they offer this tour any longer, but years ago while cruising on the Millennium, I skipped out on Florence and Pisa and took a tour to Tuscany, which encompassed visits to Volterra, Lucca, San Gimignano and a fantastic winery called Tenuta Torciano (near a little town called Ulignano). We did wine tasting and had a lovely lunch at the winery. I enjoyed it so much, that I've been back there twice over the years on my own. The second time I went, I stayed at the farmhouse at the winery!

Catch the train from Livorno to Lucca, one of the most magical towns in Italy.

Excellent advice. It is a delightful town and not overrun with tourists, as Florence now is. We did a ship's tour and it was excellent, but perhaps not always offered. BTW Lucca has always been known for its olive oil. The small can I bought has been sitting for years. Betcha it's really good now.