Smart Attire in PG

steilkurve

48 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

There seems to me to be a much larger than usual number of red cards on this "Literature Festival at Sea" voyage that began in New York.

For what it's worth, on the June eastbound 1392 of 2535 passengers were red card, on the subsequent westbound it was 1459 out of 2539 passengers. 

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

However, one of my table mates at dinner has lamented how the "literati" (as he put it) have been invading the Commodore Club before dinner, turning it into a more raucous environment than he's used to there.

First or second seating? 

The CC can usually be a little raucous before first seating.

Edited by Underwatr

21 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

First or second seating? 

The CC can usually be a little raucous before first seating.

Important detail. Second seating (after 6:00pm) in this case. And thanks for the stats on red cards from your June voyages. Perhaps they are just more obvious this time because quite a few are wearing their cards on lanyards with "The Times" logo on them.

Edited by bluemarble

57 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

So are we talking about the NY Times here? Rather than the UK Times.

It's the UK Times and Sunday Times Cheltenham Literature Festival that are sponsoring this week's Literature Festival at Sea on board QM2. 

Edited by bluemarble

Can one still rent a tux on board to have for formal nights?  DH has changed shape a bit over the last few years, and his tux no longer fits him.  🙄😉

Never mind, I answered my own question by looking it up!  $90 per night, and I imagine there are 2 formal nights per crossing? 

Edited by Vict0riann

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Can one still rent a tux on board to have for formal nights?  DH has changed shape a bit over the last few years, and his tux no longer fits him.  🙄😉

Never mind, I answered my own question by looking it up!  $90 per night, and I imagine there are 2 formal nights per crossing? 

Usually 3 Formal evenings per TA crossing.

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Thank you.  So I guess $250 cost, as that is the price for 5 nights.  I'll have to check with Cunard.

That price is absurd - for a tuxedo - for three evenings - which will, at best, sort of fit. If you look around, you can buy one for about $200 - add $50 for dress shirt, tie and cummerbund , and you’ll be set for years.

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

That price is absurd - for a tuxedo - for three evenings - which will, at best, sort of fit. If you look around, you can buy one for about $200 - add $50 for dress shirt, tie and cummerbund , and you’ll be set for years.

Absolutely, but we will be doing a lot of travelling around in Ireland and the UK, and that’s a lot of space taken up in a suitcase.  Where am I going to put my shoes?😉

9 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Absolutely, but we will be doing a lot of travelling around in Ireland and the UK, and that’s a lot of space taken up in a suitcase.  Where am I going to put my shoes?😉

When I have schedule pre-cruise travel I have sometimes arranged to ship one suitcase to my pre-cruise hotel, so I don’t have too much to haul around ... and sent stuff home upon debarking to avoid toting around on post-cruise travel.

9 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

We have cruised the Caribbean, US and Canada all with flights with UK and we have always managed to pack a dinner suit, shirts and bow ties and formal dresses for the wife so it can be done.