Port at Cozumel

GA Dave

So, I searched and could not locate anything that tells me exactly where the Getaway docks in Cozumel. When I look at the satellite view of Cozumel on Google Maps, it shows two docks on the west side of the island with cruise ships, one just south of the airport at the large town, and the other south from the main town with two ships at it and very little at the land end of the pier. There are just a few businesses at the land side of this second pier, such as Three Amigos Cozumel and Fat Tuesday. Can anyone tell me where we "park"? According to CruiseTT, the day we are in this port there are four other ships scheduled to be in port, with a total capacity of over 21,000. My wife and I are thinking this may be a good ship day since we have excursions already planned at the other three stops. Any information is appreciated.

Last time I was there on the Getaway...we docked near Carlos and Charlies and close to a giant store called MEGA...much like a Walmart here....we bought some sunscreen etc in there...good prices and everything clearly marked in Pesos and $$$$

The Eastern side of Cozumel is beautiful. A few bars, mostly rough coastline...the bars only took CASH....no internet access for cards etc...We took a cab over.. It is really a nice island.

Last time I was there on the Getaway...we docked near Carlos and Charlies and close to a giant store called MEGA...much like a Walmart here....we bought some sunscreen etc in there...good prices and everything clearly marked in Pesos and $$$$

The Eastern side of Cozumel is beautiful. A few bars, mostly rough coastline...the bars only took CASH....no internet access for cards etc...We took a cab over.. It is really a nice island.

Found the MEGA. Thanks!

So, I searched and could not locate anything that tells me exactly where the Getaway docks in Cozumel. When I look at the satellite view of Cozumel on Google Maps, it shows two docks on the west side of the island with cruise ships, one just south of the airport at the large town, and the other south from the main town with two ships at it and very little at the land end of the pier. There are just a few businesses at the land side of this second pier, such as Three Amigos Cozumel and Fat Tuesday. Can anyone tell me where we "park"? According to CruiseTT, the day we are in this port there are four other ships scheduled to be in port, with a total capacity of over 21,000. My wife and I are thinking this may be a good ship day since we have excursions already planned at the other three stops. Any information is appreciated.

Docked twice here on NCL......https://www.google.com/maps/@20.5097629,-86.9565264,482m/data=!3m1!1e3

Last time we had a total of 7 ships in port. To say it was crowded was an understatement. We took a beach excursion in the morning, that was pretty nice. Got back to the ship at 1:00pm and tried walking around the port. Very crowded

Docked twice here on NCL......https://www.google.com/maps/@20.5097629,-86.9565264,482m/data=!3m1!1e3

Last time we had a total of 7 ships in port. To say it was crowded was an understatement. We took a beach excursion in the morning, that was pretty nice. Got back to the ship at 1:00pm and tried walking around the port. Very crowded

That's what we are afraid of. We deliberately avoid our downtown here and Tybee Island beach during the tourist season because we hate the tourist crowds. It just seems so different than when it is just us locals.

Unfortunately, you cannot be sure about your pier. And there's no official port website to track a calendar and piers. Use google maps and switch to satellite view to see the piers.

Puerta Maya Pier: The southmost pier is the one with 3 Amigos and Fat Tuesday and a shopping village.

International Pier: Nearby and just a 1,000 feet north is the next pier, with different shopping village and Margaritaville, Senor Frog's, and Hard Rock.

Punta Langosta Pier: Now go way north to find the short ferry pier and then another cruise pier further north. This is the Cruceros pier and it's where Breakaway ended up on short notice last year when we needed a port after a detour to transfer a sick passenger to the Mexico Navy out of Cancun. At this pier, there is a bridge across the street to a shopping mall with a Starbucks and a Senor Frog's.

Edited by PelicanBill

Probably 90% of the time, NCL docks at Punta Langosta which is right at the "downtown". Only once have we docked down the way about 3 or so miles at the International Pier. That is generally used by Carnival. And once, although we were docked, one of the NCL ships that arrived later had to tender. Yes, the back side of the island is really pretty in that it is not developed other than a very few bars.

That's what we are afraid of. We deliberately avoid our downtown here and Tybee Island beach during the tourist season because we hate the tourist crowds. It just seems so different than when it is just us locals.
Aaah. Tybee Island. Used to go there when I was in high school. Many moons ago.[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G935U using Forums mobile app

Maybe it was Senor Frogs instead of Carlos and Charlie’s..the mind was a little foggy..

That said , Tybee is a funky little place...I hit Historic Savannah a time or two a year, and try to get out to the Breakfast Club when I can.

Enjoy the Getaway...

On June 29 the Getaway docked at Punta Langosta with only one other ship, the MSC Armonia. I left the ship for a walk-around early, before breakfast., before the heat of the day and most of the crowds. You are forced to enter the town by walking through a shopping center with up and down escalators. After getting to the ground floor and going through the rest of the shopping center I took a right and walked past very aggressive shopkeepers on the street that faces the ocean and ships. But if you head up towards the ferry pier and where the large Mexican flag is flying, there is a nice town square, or park, and the vendors towards the back of it are set up in flea market style. They do NOT harrass you, and I found it to be a quiet and peaceful area to explore around. The municipal building is there and a clock tower. To return to the ship I cut over a few blocks to avoid most of the street shopkeepers. I'm an older female and was alone and felt very safe. Still plenty of time left to enjoy a ship day, but also had a bit of time on land.

On June 29 the Getaway docked at Punta Langosta with only one other ship, the MSC Armonia. I left the ship for a walk-around early, before breakfast., before the heat of the day and most of the crowds. You are forced to enter the town by walking through a shopping center with up and down escalators. After getting to the ground floor and going through the rest of the shopping center I took a right and walked past very aggressive shopkeepers on the street that faces the ocean and ships. But if you head up towards the ferry pier and where the large Mexican flag is flying, there is a nice town square, or park, and the vendors towards the back of it are set up in flea market style. They do NOT harrass you, and I found it to be a quiet and peaceful area to explore around. The municipal building is there and a clock tower. To return to the ship I cut over a few blocks to avoid most of the street shopkeepers. I'm an older female and was alone and felt very safe. Still plenty of time left to enjoy a ship day, but also had a bit of time on land.

That may actually work for us, as my wife normally wakes between 4:30 and 5:00 each morning. We could be first ones off (Haven) and be back on before most of the non-excursion folks are done with breakfast.

Thanks for the info!

Found the MEGA. Thanks!

Mega is the best.Much bigger than Walmart & sells EVERYTHING.

They also have a really good, honest pharmacy. Remember you do not need a prescription in Mexico for most anything except narcotics.

if you do not have great prescription coverage....this is the place to buy your drugs cheap

Example....Voltaren. The best analgesic cream on the market. it is prescription here. My insurance does not cover it at all & it is $52.00 a tube.

I can get the exact same tube for anywhere from $10 to $12 a tube in Mexico without a prescription. But they also have Voltaren at DOUBLE the strength allowed for sale in the U.S. That is the one I buy. I gave a tube to my arthritis doctor & he said it is criminal that is not allowed for sale in the U.S.

It’s supposed to be Punta Langosta - but as someone mentioned, that’s always subject to change. We were in in December and did a cooking class ~3 hours, walking distance from port and had a wonderful time. This link will go directly to the trip report section where I covered this stop if it’s helpful. https://gotravellife.com/2018/01/03/about-us/#Cozumel_Mexico_Cozumel_Cooking_Class

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It’s supposed to be Punta Langosta - but as someone mentioned, that’s always subject to change. We were in in December and did a cooking class ~3 hours, walking distance from port and had a wonderful time. This link will go directly to the trip report section where I covered this stop if it’s helpful. https://gotravellife.com/2018/01/03/about-us/#Cozumel_Mexico_Cozumel_Cooking_Class

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your blog is very well written but is probably the most beautiful I have ever seen. Any graphic designer would be proud of it. (y)