Guaranteed cabins

miataman19

I'm guessing your talking about balcony and below so no way for me, too many bad possibilities. If the category you want is currently GTY I'd wait and keep watching as cabins usually continue to pop back into inventory as payment due approaches. With MSC I usually haven't seen any price difference when the category goes to GTY. Waiting may not cost anything. But if the entire ship fills there may be a price increase, but that usually happens well after final payment unless it is a particularly interesting/unusual itinerary.

I have done 'Guarantee' cabin several times on other cruise lines and have been satisfied with the outcome. Sometimes a cabin is assigned within a few weeks, other times it's not until a few days out. Yes, it's a crap shoot, but if the price difference is enough then I wouldn't hesitate to do it. My attitude is that as long as I'm on the ship I don't care where my cabin is, but that is just my personal feelings. I would only do this if the price is right, otherwise I also prefer picking my cabin location. But you do need to remember that where ever you end up on the ship you can't really complain, because that's what you agreed to.

There is also the chance you might get a cabin upgrade.
That's what I was thinking also. We have a nice inside with a great location. I'll give it another month and see how full the ship is. Only $150 difference. Probably stick with what we have. We'll see.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

...We have a nice inside with a great location... Only $150 difference....

So you booked when there was availability and now that the cabin has gone into guarantee status the price has dropped $75pp? That's not enough to be worth it to me, but the others are right about possible upgrades.

Interesting note. Tried to book an inside on the January 10, 2019 Divina sailing and was not given the opportunity to choose a cabin. It went straight to Guranteed Cabin. Does that mean insides are sold out? I'm sure some will open up after final payment but seems interesting. Could get an upgrade from inside to whatever is available in next cat.

I have booked a guaranteed Fantastica inner cabin on the MSC Seaside and within 2 hours I received a new Booking Confirmation that the cabin was upgraded to a Fantastica Balcony cabin. That is a $1000 saving ! I was pleased with the outcome.

I have booked a guaranteed Fantastica inner cabin on the MSC Seaside and within 2 hours I received a new Booking Confirmation that the cabin was upgraded to a Fantastica Balcony cabin. That is a $1000 saving ! I was pleased with the outcome.

We did "status match" on MSC a couple of years ago and received "Black Card" status because of our Celebrity Elite status. We have sailed with MSC on two other cruises and have been happy with both.

We just booked a Bella balcony on the Seaside with a 25% discount offered to Voyagers Club members and were awarded a nicely located balcony cabin on the 14th deck within two days of booking.

We're very happy with the location and the perks.

Been on 48 cruises and never did a guarantee cabin. I'm thinking about it for our 10 day Divina sailing in January. I know it's a crap shoot but could save some $$$. Thoughts....

We would never do it but like you said it's a crap shoot. We will not go cheaper and be miserable for 10 days.

There is no 25% Voyagers Club discount. The most you can get is a 5 + 15% discount (not quite 20%! :rolleyes:) and that's only on the 'Selected Sailings' list.

To the OP ... I agree with Dave (Sidari) - you have a very good chance of getting an upgrade with a 'Guarantee' booking - it just may not be in the location that you would want.

We booked our Seaside cruise 9 weeks' out as an OV Bella GTY. That is a category we can live with. About 3 days later we were awarded a deck 14 mid ship BALCONY in the fantastica section. A decent jaunt to both elevator/stairs banks. But we saved a lot with our gamble and did get the bonus of the balcony. You can always go for the GTY, and hope you get assigned quickly. If you absolutely are disappointed with what you are assigned then call again to inquire on cost to upgrade. They will always accept more money!!!