Transport Disney to Port of Miami

PrincessBelle39

Hoping someone might be able to give us suggestions for the most cost effective and efficient way to get to the Port of Miami from Disney's Pop Century.

We are a group of 6, two adults and 4 teenagers. We are travelling from Australia for a significant stay so chances are that we will have 6-8 suitcases between us. We are visiting Disney for a couple of nights so that we can go to Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party and then going back to Disney following the cruise, although having a night in Miami first. I did a quote with Mears and it came in at $743.00 one way which is just not an option. Also only one of us is confident driving in the US.

We are happy to drive. In fact quite like the idea of it. But can't see anymore than a 7 seater. There just doesn't seem to be enough space for luggage. Last time we had a large Dodge 7 seater. It was pretty big. There were only 4 of us and we only just got 4 suitcases in it. This time 2 more people and two more suitcases. Not sure it would work.

Actually it would be much easier for you to take a cruise out of Port Canaveral instead of Miami. Port Canaveral is 45 minutes away from Disney where as Miami is about a 3 to 4 hour drive so if you haven’t already booked your cruise or if you could cancel if this might be an option for you

We have already booked our cruise. We've cruised 3 times out of Port Canaveral and wanted a different itinerary this time. The cruise out of Port Canaveral that suits our dates is the same itinerary we've done each time before and also worked out at almost $1800 more expensive in total. Plus we want a night in Miami following the cruise as we haven't been before.

You may need to search, but there are larger passenger vans available for rent - but they will be pricey.

You might look at bus transport between Orlando and Miami - MegaBus, Greyhound and others should make that trip.

There are also flights available between MCO and MIA - you'll spend almost as much time in the security line as you will flying. ;)

Good luck! :D

Quite a number of Rental companies in Orlando airport offer 15 pax vans for rent. That would give you plenty of room for your luggage.

Also, have you checked flights? We are going from Disney to Fort Lauderdale in Nov and found morning flights for $60 pp (one way as we are flying directly home from Ft Lauderdale) on Silver Airlines. That's as cheap as any shuttle or bus.

Don

I would suggest trying to get into Miami the night before.

If the night before, you have plenty of choices with bus, train, or plane.

If you want to drive into Miami the day of the cruise my only option to you is rent a 12-15 passenger van. All the rental companies offer them. Driving yourself is the least risk of missing the ship. Or you could try for the earliest flight possible out of Orlando airport to either FLL or MIA airport. It is a 25mins flight.

But I would not trust Amtrak the day of the cruise. A bus, would likely be ok, especially with the larger lines like Red Coach or Megabus.

Hoping someone might be able to give us suggestions for the most cost effective and efficient way to get to the Port of Miami from Disney's Pop Century.

We are a group of 6, two adults and 4 teenagers. We are travelling from Australia for a significant stay so chances are that we will have 6-8 suitcases between us. We are visiting Disney for a couple of nights so that we can go to Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party and then going back to Disney following the cruise, although having a night in Miami first. I did a quote with Mears and it came in at $743.00 one way which is just not an option. Also only one of us is confident driving in the US.

I can understand why you don't want to drive. Here in the states we drive on the opposite side of the road that you do. I have used this bus company many time from the east coast of Florida, from Melbourne Florida. I have never had a trouble with them.

• 2 weeks later...

We are doing a similar trip to yourself, spending a month in the US, as for the cost of getting there, you want to do as much as possible, so we are doing a week at Universal, then shopping, then Disney, then a cruise and spending Christmas in New York, so we have to pack for the Sun in the Caribbean and the Cold of New York.

While there is only four of us, we have the same problems as you 4-6 bags and moving luggage for a month from place to place means I have researched a lot of options.

You have a ceiling price - US$743. Its likely that you will have to add a tip on top of that, plus make sure what they have quoted includes space for all your luggage, not just the six passengers.

Just using Avis as a guide, (Pick your rental car company of choice) pick up from Disney and drop off at Miami Airport (more on that later) on the same day.

A Standard SUV (Ford Explorer) is $105.84.

A Full Size SUV (Chevrolet Tahoe) is $128.52

A Premium SUV (Chevrolet Suburban) is $149.31

We have chosen for the 4 of us the Chevy Suburban as it is 20" longer, so has more luggage space. But none of these are going to have enough room for 6 people and bags, so the only choice is

A Passenger Van (Ford Transit) is $147.42

The reason why I chose the Miami airport drop off option as the down town offices close at 6pm, and we plan on driving down the coast to have a look and take it slow - as other people have recommended, driving down the day before the cruise. Rather than panic about leaving Disney late (we have a character breakfast on the day of departure) and making sure we can get to the hotel to drop the bags off before returning the rental car, we are dropping it off at the airport. The reason why I chose Avis was they have the Suburban and the other companies top out at the Tahoe.

You haven't said if you are staying at the same Disney Hotel before and after the cruise. If you are, could you leave some of the bags there so you only take in the rental car what you need for the cruise? Or contact the hotel that you are staying after the cruise and ask if you could leave some luggage for a week before checking in, and use the rental car to drop the luggage off?

Would you like to split the group? 1-2 people (with bags) could fly, or take the train or bus that others have listed? Four people with a few bags could fit into

An Intermediate SUV (Ford Escape) - US$65.58

A mini Van (Chrysler Pacifica) - US$75.60

If a couple of you fly, you could use the Magical Express to get to / from the airport in Orlando so there would be no cost for that part of the transit. But overall this would be more expensive, than if everyone stays together. The advantage is you can guarantee all the bags will fit rather than get to transit day and find out that the rental car isn't as big as you expected and cause stress trying to move all the bags and people. However, Flying is expensive - US$187pp plus $25 for a bag on AA for a mid December Date. (Or US$94pp on SouthWest Airlines to Fort Lauderdale including 2 free bags then shuttle it to Miami - US$71 if you like a 7:10am flight).

($71 * 6 on South Western is $426 incl. 12 bags + $50 to move from FLL to Port of Miami if you don't want to drive at all and stick together.)

Driving on the wrong side of the road isn't hard. You generally just have to watch that you stay in the middle of your lane as I find I drive too close to the left of the lane. The hardest part is turning a corner. I use this mantra when driving and turning.

"Passenger to Curb! Passenger to Curb!"

Which means, when turning into a lane, get the Passenger door closest to the Curb. That way you won't turn into on coming traffic.

The GPS in Miles rather than KMs also freaks me out, but it means I am generally ready to turn before the actual intersection.

In summary -

Drive together - Passenger Van - $147.42 (Road Tolls are on top of this)

Fly together - South Western - $476.00

Be driven the whole way - $743.00

Or somewhere in between - Your Choice.

I hope this helps. :-)