2021 World Cruise

Here is your answer to how to deal with mail for long periods of time. Boaters and RV people use this all of the time.

https://www.sbimailservice.com/

Great recommendation. Have used them several times for World Cruise and other extended cruises. Best feature --they scan the outside of each envelope you receive which you can view online. They will also open the mail upon request and scan the contents. You can have all accumulated mail sent wherever you want and they shread any mail that you don't want forwarded. All at reasonable prices.

Would anyone hazard a guess how much good cancellation insurance (i.e. pre-existing coverage) would cost for a cruise like this?

Wendy and other on this thread doing or interested in doing this world cruise,

For the 2018 Navigator World Cruise we used Insure My Trip and got a policy for a little over $9000 that covered both of us (~$139,000 trip cost) with pre-existing coverage, a must for us. We also always carry Met Jet Assist when we travel.

As far as mail was concerned, a number of years ago when we first retired and started doing long trips, we changed to a P O Box. When we are gone, we give our key to a friend who empties the box into a Bankers box we give him every few days. We get the box when we get home. After 4-5 months of being gone, it takes Dick a while to go through it!! We have an RV also, so are gone several times a year for a month or more at a time.

All our monthly stuff is on direct pay and Dick just monitors this online from the ship or RV. He gets an extension on the Income Tax filling until summer and does that when we get home. Actually he does that every year. Canada may be different.

As far as clothes are concerned, we have learned that less is better!!! Especially now that I need a wheel chair to get through the big airports. We have done two around the world trips that lasted 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 month combining land and several 3 week cruise segments. In the past I packed two carry on sized bags with 3-4 changes of travel type clothes for each of us. Then put meds and toiletries in a large handbag thing. Had another bag with cameras and computer gear. Sometimes we carried it all on the plane (fly 1st class) or checked the carry ons as required by the airlines. Then I would ship one 30 to 50 pound bag to each ship with some nicer cruise clothes and odds and ends we would use on a cruise.

This year since we were doing the full world cruise I shipped 3 cases, 50 lb each (of the four allowed). In the shipped luggage along with clothes, I put paperbacks, some small games and DVD's we like plus snorkeling gear. We then carried one 50 lb case to check and two carry ons plus camera and computer cases. I would have shipped all four larger cases to the ship except we were traveling over Christmas and New Years and I needed some of the clothes.

We took way to much!!! Dick took 2 white dress shirts...worn one once, and 8 more casual shirts...didn't wear 3 of them. I took 5 daytime slacks and 2 travel skrits (the kind with lots of pockets), 6 tops and 3 t-shirts that I could mix and match plus 4 skirts that went with the tops. I like to wear skirts to dinner. Then I had another whole suite case filled with silk tops fancier skirts and slacks. I only wore 2 of the tops and one pair of slacks the whole cruise (on the welcome and farewell nights). Dick took two jackets and 4 dress slacks. He wore a jacket one night and never wore a jacket again. He only wore two of the dress slacks.

We found that people, especially the WCer's don't dress up so much, nice casual outfits ruled the day and evening - slacks, casual collared shirts for the men and tops, slacks or skirts and sundresses for the ladies plus shorts and t-shirts during the day. Passengers, as a whole, don't dress up as much as in the past anyway! Of course, there were a few in sports coats maybe a suit and a few cocktail type dresses, but very few and as the cruise wore we realized that dressier stuff was mostly worn by the "segmenters". The world cruise has a much more homey relaxed vibe than any other cruise we have ever done, which we loved!

At some point I packed all the dressier stuff...sports coats, dress shirts most of my silk tops, skirts and slacks in one of the suite cases to get them out of the way and leave less to pack at the end.

Take comfortable things that you like to wear at home for during the day and out to dinner at night and you will be a happy camper. We are all wearing the same thing over and over...just like at home! Plus, we have free "usually" one day laundry service even in "steerage"!

You are going to love the cruise!!

Carolyn

Edited by cwn

>>USPS.com Informed delivery<<

Dave, is there a time frame for this? How long?

I've never heard about it . . . . thanks!

Peggy

Peggy,

As far as I know, there is not a time limit on the service. We’ve been traveling for a month and still get Informed Delivery emails six times a week. We wondered if it would work while our mail was being held but it is independent of how your mail gets delivered.

Would anyone hazard a guess how much good cancellation insurance (i.e. pre-existing coverage) would cost for a cruise like this? Assuming a base fare of, say, $65K?

We are doing 44 nights in Nov. I used Berkshire-Hathaway Travel Insurance. There are only a few companies that will insure up at the level of a long Regent Cruise. The reason I went with Berkshire is because it was one of the most reasonably priced policies, Berkshire underwrites many other company policies, and their medical and Emergency Evacuation coverage was, by far, superior to any. I took their Exactcare Extra policy with medical and evacuation supplement, and it gives us $100,000 Medical and $1,000,000 Emergency Evacuation. Your cost for $65,000 depends on age. You can go on their website and run the numbers, but you're looking at around $4,000 or so depending on if you add the extra medical, emergency evac, etc. Hope that gives you some ballpark.

Edited by papaflamingo

Would anyone hazard a guess how much good cancellation insurance (i.e. pre-existing coverage) would cost for a cruise like this?

Wendy and other on this thread doing or interested in doing this world cruise,

As far as clothes are concerned, we have learned that less is better!!! ...

This year since we were doing the full world cruise I shipped 3 cases, 50 lb each (of the four allowed). In the shipped luggage along with clothes, I put paperbacks, some small games and DVD's we like plus snorkeling gear. ...

We took way to much!!! Dick took 2 white dress shirts...worn one once, and 8 more casual shirts...didn't wear 3 of them. I took 5 daytime slacks and 2 travel skrits (the kind with lots of pockets), 6 tops and 3 t-shirts that I could mix and match plus 4 skirts that went with the tops. I like to wear skirts to dinner. Then I had another whole suite case filled with silk tops fancier skirts and slacks. I only wore 2 of the tops and one pair of slacks the whole cruise (on the welcome and farewell nights). Dick took two jackets and 4 dress slacks. He wore a jacket one night and never wore a jacket again. He only wore two of the dress slacks.

We found that people, especially the WCer's don't dress up so much, nice casual outfits ruled the day and evening - slacks, casual collared shirts for the men and tops, slacks or skirts and sundresses for the ladies plus shorts and t-shirts during the day. Passengers, as a whole, don't dress up as much as in the past anyway!

At some point I packed all the dressier stuff...sports coats, dress shirts most of my silk tops, skirts and slacks in one of the suite cases to get them out of the way and leave less to pack at the end.

Take comfortable things that you like to wear at home for during the day and out to dinner at night and you will be a happy camper. We are all wearing the same thing over and over...just like at home! Plus, we have free "usually" one day laundry service even in "steerage"!

You are going to love the cruise!!

Carolyn

All great advice, thanks so much! Except if I wore what I wear at home during the day I'd be drummed off the ship, lol. There are days here up at my summer cottage when I don't get out of my pj's, and if I do, it's to don a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops. But I clean up well, thank goodness! I'd forgotten about being able to ship some luggage!

We are doing 44 nights in Nov. I used Berkshire-Hathaway Travel Insurance. There are only a few companies that will insure up at the level of a long Regent Cruise. ...

Also consider Travelex - Travel Select plan. For our 2021 WC our total premium is $8236 to cover our $141,500 cruise cost

The problem is that few of these companies insure Canadians these days. I'd have to discuss this with my TA, and do some research. For upcoming Seabourn cruise I used Manulife, but it's only 12 days.

I presume you had to take out these policies at booking time so you could get existing condition coverage? This is what makes me nervous--$8K sounds fair, but of course that's entirely un-refundable if you change your mind or have to cancel before penalties kick in.

Guess Regent would insure us...anybody used them for this?

Fortunately we do not need medical coverage--have good coverage from husband's retirement deal.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

We are seriously looking at doing the entire World Cruise. Right now we're doing due diligence, and as many sober second thoughts as we can. But to us, it looks perfect--just wish it was in 2020.

We took the plunge. Booked WC 2021.

Wow, great! If you don't mind my asking, what kind of cabin did you book? Ours would be the lowest available.

We sailed on the Mariner for the Circle South America Grand Voyage in 2016 in a dlx veranda suite (F/G/H are alike except for location) for 72 nights. Was fine though we prefer the standard suites on Voyager/Navigator with the extra 49 sf. Recommend you get a suite with a shower rather than bathtub which can be challenging to get in/out of. For 2021 we opted for a PH-C for the extra space for 131 days. On this year's Navigator WC we had a PH-C though the room was the same size as all suites in lower categories on that ship. Just wanted to treat ourselves to a butler as the cost difference was minimal when we booked.

We sailed on the Mariner for the Circle South America Grand Voyage in 2016 in a dlx veranda suite (F/G/H are alike except for location) for 72 nights. Was fine though we prefer the standard suites on Voyager/Navigator with the extra 49 sf. Recommend you get a suite with a shower rather than bathtub which can be challenging to get in/out of. For 2021 we opted for a PH-C for the extra space for 131 days. On this year's Navigator WC we had a PH-C though the room was the same size as all suites in lower categories on that ship. Just wanted to treat ourselves to a butler as the cost difference was minimal when we booked.

Yes, for sure. We did the first leg of the SA Grand Voyage in 2017, Miami to Lima. The first part of this WC would be kind of a repeat of this, but don't mind going through the canal again, for sure. In fact, when we got off in Lima we were envious of the folks who stayed on, thus this idea of the WC.

So we know about the cabins, and yes, we will miss the extra space. Oddly, we were in the handicapped cabin on deck 8 (we had a GTY). Which is ironically more spacious, because it doesn't have a walk-in closet. But for a WC I think the closet would be inadequate, and we're certainly not going for a GTY this time. And yes, definitely the shower not the bathtub. I think the small cabin will be okay, since we have done the 200' window cabins on the Paul Gauguin a number of times and gotten by just fine.

Nice that you've got a PH-C, lucky you, not in the cards for us. Don't like having a butler, frankly, but would love the extra space!

Wendy,

The 2021 WC has some really good ports and I know you all will enjoy the trip!

If either of you are interested in WWII stuff....Pago Pago has a tour for their WWII sites that, if we ever go back we will do. It was through the tourist info center, not the ship. Surprisingly we really like to little island. We have done our own thing both times we visited.

The Mariner is a great ship for a WC with both a forward facing and rear facing lounge and the great out side lounge off the Horizon Lounge.

We did the full Circle SA on the Mariner in 2011. With the great lounges and the neat little areas for a quite reading spot, we did not think the entry level cabins were too small. We tend to spend a lot of our time in the suite on any cruise. As much as I love the size of the Navigator, I really liked the Mariner also and didn't notice the 50 sq ft difference. Plus the Mariner showers are great!

We had been in a 194 sq ft cabin with our15 year old granddaughter a few months before the WC! So anything bigger seems like heaven!

Enjoy the planning..it is half the fun.

Carolyn

Wendy,

The 2021 WC has some really good ports and I know you all will enjoy the trip!

If either of you are interested in WWII stuff....Pago Pago has a tour for their WWII sites that, if we ever go back we will do. It was through the tourist info center, not the ship. Surprisingly we really like to little island. We have done our own thing both times we visited.

The Mariner is a great ship for a WC with both a forward facing and rear facing lounge and the great out side lounge off the Horizon Lounge.

We did the full Circle SA on the Mariner in 2011. With the great lounges and the neat little areas for a quite reading spot, we did not think the entry level cabins were too small. We tend to spend a lot of our time in the suite on any cruise. As much as I love the size of the Navigator, I really liked the Mariner also and didn't notice the 50 sq ft difference. Plus the Mariner showers are great!

We had been in a 194 sq ft cabin with our15 year old granddaughter a few months before the WC! So anything bigger seems like heaven!

Enjoy the planning..it is half the fun.

Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn, for the vote of confidence! My husband has a thing about Pago Pago, some mythic association. Not sure it's a big deal for me, since we've been to French Polynesia a number of times.

But you've reminded me about the shower--yes, we'd have to get a shower suite, for sure! If we do it, that is!

Sorry if this is off-topic. Wendy and Carolyn, I’ve really enjoyed following this thread. We were also on that 2011 cruise Miami-Lima (first leg of circle SA). We were wishing we could have stayed on for more at the time. Remember meeting you both pre-cruise here on this Board, and at the on-board Meet & Greet. I recall we had a very large group, including Jackie & Dennis, up in Horizon lounge. Also Peter & Nancy, who we coincidentally also ran into 2 years later on the Auckland-Sydney leg on Voyager. A WC has been in our thoughts lately, but think we’ll stick to Grand Voyage or longer segments, more our speed. ;)

Sorry if this is off-topic. Wendy and Carolyn, I’ve really enjoyed following this thread. We were also on that 2011 cruise Miami-Lima (first leg of circle SA). We were wishing we could have stayed on for more at the time. Remember meeting you both pre-cruise here on this Board, and at the on-board Meet & Greet. I recall we had a very large group, including Jackie & Dennis, up in Horizon lounge. Also Peter & Nancy, who we coincidentally also ran into 2 years later on the Auckland-Sydney leg on Voyager. A WC has been in our thoughts lately, but think we’ll stick to Grand Voyage or longer segments, more our speed. ;)

Yes, I remember! That first segment to Lima in 2011 was probably one of the best cruise segments we have ever done. It was a great mix of people on a great ship. The rest of the segments were not nearly as much fun at least on board. Funny how different each cruise can be. The mix of people can really change the vibe!

I loved the whole world cruise and could have stayed on, but Dick did get some what tired of the routine toward the end. So I understand your feelings,

For Dick, part of his problem was he was depending on his computer for entertainment and business also. Since streaming ability is an extra cost now, he wasn't too happy about paying the extra $10 a day though he did toward the end of several segments to get program up dates. We had just been on Seabourn and didn't have that problem so he wasn't prepared.

We hope Regent will do a future Grand Voyage to the Artic, but with a little less repeating of ports. That is one we would like to do.

We did a daily blog of this years WC. It is a bit repetitive, but does have information on the tours we did in each port. We did mostly Regent tours and many are also on the 2019, 2020 and 2021 WCs. http://www.2018worldcruise.blogspot.com

Just booked a 2021 cruise on the Splendor. Excited to experience the new ship (while it is still new!)

Wayne will sympathize with Dick, and it’s why we won’t do a WC... he’s still tied to his business (even though he should really be retired at this age!). Although he will give me a month or 2 at a time, and I’m happy to have him “busy”. LOL. We’re booked on the Explorer next year in the Baltic (August, Stockholm-London), looking forward to that for a break. Hope to see you all again on some future cruise. That Miami-Lima leg is still one of our favorites too, lots of fun. Enjoy your WC, I’ll be looking for your posts!

Well silly me, I didn’t read your posts very well. You’ve already done the WC, so I’ll have to see if I can find your blog. For the others contemplating it I’m interested in your experiences. I’m afraid I’d get tired of the repetitiveness, not sure I could handle that long on board.

But it’s tempting!

Susan, it was 2016 that we did the Miami-Lima, and we had as much fun as it sounds like you did!

Still contemplating this cruise, letting the idea sink in, the pros and cons, the opportunity costs.

• 2 weeks later...