Western or Eastern Caribbean?

Family of 5 booking our first cruise. We have young kids & when we are in port we plan on having relaxing days on beautiful beaches...not doing excursions. With this in mind, which itinerary would you choose? For us the important factors in choosing ports would be:

-beautiful beaches

-clean/safe

-easy to get to (don’t want long drives)

We seriously just want to get off the ship and spend the day on the beach. Calm water for our 2 year old is preferable. Ability to get a cabana or beach service would be amazing.

Two itineraries we are considering are:

Western Caribbean: Miami-Roatan Honduras-puerto costa maya Mexico-Cozumel México-Cococay

Eastern Caribbean: Miami-Bassaterre, St Kitts, Charlotte Amalie St Thomas, Cococay

Which would you choose if you were us and why?

Family of 5 booking our first cruise. We have young kids & when we are in port we plan on having relaxing days on beautiful beaches...not doing excursions. With this in mind, which itinerary would you choose? For us the important factors in choosing ports would be:

-beautiful beaches

-clean/safe

-easy to get to (don’t want long drives)

We seriously just want to get off the ship and spend the day on the beach. Calm water for our 2 year old is preferable. Ability to get a cabana or beach service would be amazing.

Two itineraries we are considering are:

Western Caribbean: Miami-Roatan Honduras-puerto costa maya Mexico-Cozumel México-Cococay

Eastern Caribbean: Miami-Bassaterre, St Kitts, Charlotte Amalie St Thomas, Cococay

Which would you choose if you were us and why?

Eastern Caribbean as it is nicer and safer.

I would say eastern hands down. Western is typically cheaper so if you do decide this route I would only choose a sailing which hit Grand Cayman, 7 mile beach is walking distance for some, from the pier. Stay away from Belize or Roatan. Cozumel, although beautiful water, you will have to drive for something decent.

I would say eastern hands down. Western is typically cheaper so if you do decide this route I would only choose a sailing which hit Grand Cayman, 7 mile beach is walking distance for some, from the pier. Stay away from Belize or Roatan. Cozumel, although beautiful water, you will have to drive for something decent.

First 20 yrs I cruised starting in 1980's Western Caribbean was always the higher costing cruise, would cost us and priced $500-1000 more then EC cruise. Never figured out why and that WC is now consistently the cheaper one... But to OP, yes would stick with Eastern traveling with younger family...