Credit card use in Cuba? Phone??

mahondi

We are planning a family vacation on Carnival Paradise to Cuba in March 2019. After explaining the process of changing USD into Cuban dollars, she asked "What about credit cards?" Not sure, but I bet someone does know whether credit cards can be used in Cuba. Then she asked about phones? Not sure on that on either. Any advice would be appreciated.:confused::confused::confused:

No US credit cards or debit cards.

Do not even tell your bank you’re going to Cuba. They will suspend your account until you get back from your trip. Big Booming Voice of Experience. **

No phone service but she can buy some WiFi time. Need to buy a card. $3 for an hour. For a cruise visiting for a day, not worth the hassle of figuring out where to buy the card.

**DD did a land trip to Cuba and Panama. The bank was going to suspend her cards until she came back. Meaning no access anywhere, even Panama.

Do not even tell your bank you’re going to Cuba. They will suspend your account until you get back from your trip. Big Booming Voice of Experience.

No phone service but she can buy some WiFi time. Need to buy a card. $3 for an hour. For a cruise visiting for a day, not worth the hassle of figuring out where to buy the card.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why will your bank suspend your account while you are there?

Why not use the phone in your stateroom? or internet?

If you have a Visa card from a NON-US bank you might have some luck, but I wouldn't depend on it. Same with ATMs.

There is a penalty on exchange of US dollars, so almost any other currency is preferable to take, depending on your cost to acquire.

Do not even tell your bank you’re going to Cuba. They will suspend your account until you get back from your trip. Big Booming Voice of Experience. **

**DD did a land trip to Cuba and Panama. The bank was going to suspend her cards until she came back. Meaning no access anywhere, even Panama.

Sailed on the Norwegian Sky to Cuba in June 2018. Regarding the bank card - The account I use most often is PNC. It's a VISA debit not a credit card. I completed the travel form before leaving and had zero issues with using it when we arrived back to Miami.

Just went to Cuba in May on the Paradise and no credit cards in Cuba. We don't have a cell phone, so can't comment on that, but others' responses have said no. You convert your American currency to Cuban money before you leave the terminal - 10% deducted then and then 2% when you turn it back into US dollars. I thought it was 5%, but DH said it was 2%.

Sailed on the Norwegian Sky to Cuba in June 2018. Regarding the bank card - The account I use most often is PNC. It's a VISA debit not a credit card. I completed the travel form before leaving and had zero issues with using it when we arrived back to Miami.

Trip was in April. USBank debit card.

Even for those (Europeans, for example) whose credit cards function in Cuba, it is largely a cash society. Few places are set up to accept credit cards.

ETECSA sells cards to enable smart phone use. The lines are long to purchase one. Hotels often sell them at a higher price. You will see people lined up along the streets in areas that have Wifi hotspots. Some hotel lobbies also have Wifi.

My phone worked fine in Cuba. As to credit cards, the MasterCard issued by StoneGate Bank is, or at least was, acceptable in Cuba. They have recently merged with another bank so I'm not sure about the current status. We just took it along for emergencies.

Back in October we could buy the WiFi cards at Floridita. They were 3 CUC for one hour instead of the 1.5 CUC standard price but it’s worth the extra money to avoid the VERY long lines at ETECSA. Technically you are paying double but for most of us that would be worth it as it’s already so cheap. The lines are seriously long.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 6 months later...
On 7/25/2018 at 7:17 AM, RiverBlues said:

Even for those (Europeans, for example) whose credit cards function in Cuba, it is largely a cash society. Few places are set up to accept credit cards.

ETECSA sells cards to enable smart phone use. The lines are long to purchase one. Hotels often sell them at a higher price. You will see people lined up along the streets in areas that have Wifi hotspots. Some hotel lobbies also have Wifi.

On 7/25/2018 at 9:18 AM, figdu said:

I am on an AT&T business plan and made multiple calls while in Havana.

The Company Owner is headed to Cuba (NOT on a cruise) and I sort of got drafted to get information.  

His plan is with AT&T and we heard faint laughter on the phone when asking them about Cuba.  Their reply wasn't exactly "not just no but hell no" but along those lines.  Were there any nasty surprises on the bill once you got back home?

As far as the cards from ETECSA (and forgive my stupidity on this one) are we talking SIM cards or calling cards? We really don't want The Owner trying to crack open his iPhone X and swap SIMs in Cuba, but if it's something he can use to dial a number for prepaid calling that's more do-able.

Anyone selling burner or prepaid phones there?  Not like he intends to talk up a storm but needs to be able to reach the Home Base.

Thanks anyone who can assist.   

On 7/24/2018 at 9:41 PM, Djptcp said:

Just went to Cuba in May on the Paradise and no credit cards in Cuba. We don't have a cell phone, so can't comment on that, but others' responses have said no. You convert your American currency to Cuban money before you leave the terminal - 10% deducted then and then 2% when you turn it back into US dollars. I thought it was 5%, but DH said it was 2%.

I just got off Majesty of the Seas yesterday. Spent Thursday and Friday in Havana. It’s actually a 3% exchange fee to convert USD to CUC (to convert back as well) PLUS a 10% penalty to convert USD. So $1 will get you .87 CUC.

Change only what you think you will need because you will be charged 3% to convert back what you don’t use. US credit cards are not accepted. USD is accepted but it will cost you more because the Cubans must factor in the penalty to convert.

Phones generally won’t work but we bought an inexpensive WiFi card that worked fine.  We purchased the card at the Tropicana. The staff brought it to our table upon request, so no line.